Effect of Homeopathic Medicines and a Nosode on Larvae of Cochliomyia hominivorax (Diptera: Calliphoridae)Funding This study was supported by Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq, Grant number: 403557/2013-5 ). G.P. Barros and J. Seugling received financial support from CNPq.
06 July 2018
23 November 2018
05 March 2019 (online)
Background Cochliomyia hominivorax is the major fly causing primary myiasis in livestock animals in Brazil; its larvae develop in the host's living tissues, causing mutilations, which can even lead to death. In conventional treatments of myiasis, chemo-synthetic insecticides have been employed directly on larvae present in the wounds. Homeopathy may represent a healthy and sustainable alternative both to prevent and to treat myiasis in animals and humans. The current study evaluated how the emergence of adult insects is affected by the use of the homeopathic medicines Sulfur 12cH and Pyrogenium 12cH, and the nosode produced from C. hominivorax larvae at potencies 8cH and 12cH, on third-stage larvae of a C. hominivorax colony.
Materials and Methods The homeopathic medicines and the nosodes were produced according to the Brazilian Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia. Control groups were distilled water, alcohol, no substance, and the organophosphate insecticide trichlorfon. For each group, 10 replicates were performed. Emergence rate of adult insects was evaluated by descriptive statistics followed by analysis of variance. Homogeneity of variances was verified by F-test and group means were compared with Tukey's test.
Results Mortality rates in control groups were 2.7% for 30% (v/v) alcohol, 4.3% for distilled water, 3.2% for no substance (p > 0.05). In the trichlorfon group, the mortality rate of larvae was 90.8%. For Sulfur 12cH, the mortality of larvae was 94.6%, and for Pyrogenium 12cH it was 98.6%. The latter three means were not statistically different from each other or from the mean found for the trichlorfon group. The mortality rates of larvae were 61.3% and 66.6% for nosode C. hominivorax 8cH and 12cH, respectively (p > 0.05).
Conclusions Results suggest that homeopathy could be used therapeutically to prevent and treat animals and humans with myiasis caused by C. hominivorax.
• The homeopathic medicines Sulfur 12cH and Pyrogenium 12cH produced inhibitory effects on the development of larvae of the fly C. hominivorax.
• The effect on C. hominivorax larvae of homeopathic medicines was as intense as that of an organophosphate insecticide.
• Homeopathy could be used as a tool in the control of myiasis caused by C. hominivorax in agro-ecological production systems.
- 1 Brito LG, Oliveira Mde S, Giglioti R. , et al. Manual de identificação, importância e manutenção de colônias estoque de dípteras de interesse veterinário em laboratório. Porto Velho. Empresa Brasileira de Pesquisa Agropecuária; 2008
- 2 Grisi L, Leite RC, Martins Jde S. , et al. Reassessment of the potential economic impact of cattle parasites in Brazil. Rev Bras Parasitol Vet 2014; 23: 150-156
- 3 Carvalho RA, Azeredo-Espin AML, Torres TT. Deep sequencing of New World screw-worm transcripts to discover genes involved in insecticide resistance. BMC Genomics 2010; 11: 695
- 4 Lumaret JP, Errouissi F, Floate K, Römbke J, Wardhaugh K. A review on the toxicity and non-target effects of macrocyclic lactones in terrestrial and aquatic environments. Curr Pharm Biotechnol 2012; 13: 1004-1060
- 5 Brasil. Ministério da Agricultura, Pecuária e Abastecimento. Instrução Normativa n° 46 de 6 de outubro de 2011. Substitui a IN 64 no Regulamento Técnico para os Sistemas Orgânicos de Produção Animal e Vegetal com anexos de insumos permitidos para produção orgânica. Diário Oficial da República Federativa do Brasil. Brasília, DF, Seção 1, 7 de novembro de 2011b
- 6 Vijnovsky B. Tratado de matéria médica homeopática. 1st ed. São Paulo: Editora Organon; 2003
- 7 Boericke W. Matéria médica homeopática com índice terapêutico. Fraenkel Vervolet, 2nd ed. Rio de Janeiro: Editora Organon; 1993
- 8 Hall M, Wall R. Myiasis of humans and domestic animals. Adv Parasitol 1995; 35: 257-334
- 9 Brazilian Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia. 3rd ed, Brazil: Ministerio da Saúde; 2011:34. Available at: http://portal.anvisa.gov.br/documents/33832/259147/Farmacopeia+HOMEOPATICA+3a+EDICAO+INGLES+com+alerta.pdf/49a48a50-0d3e-4ab9-bc41-eb361c8afbb1
- 10 Vasconcelos VL, Chaves CV. A busca pela verdadeira causa do adoecer. Rev Homeopatia 2011; 74: 68
- 11 Aleixo DL, Bonamin LV, Ferraz FN, Da Veiga FK, De Araújo SM. Homeopathy in parasitic diseases. Int J High Dilution Res 2014; 13: 13-27
- 12 Passeti TA, Manzoni ADJ, Ambrozino LGP. , et al. Ação dos medicamentos homeopáticos Arnica montana, Gelsemium sempervirens, Belladonna, Mercurius solubillis e nosódio sobre o crescimento in vitro da bactéria Streptococcus pyogenes. Rev Homeopat 2014; 77: 1-9
- 13 Waisse S. Efeito de ultradiluições homeopáticas em modelos in vitro: revisão da literatura. Rev Homeopat 2017; 80: 98-112
- 14 Passeti TA, Bissoli LR, Macedo AP, Libame RB, Diniz S, Waisse S. Action of antibiotic oxacillin on in vitro growth of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) previously treated with homeopathic medicines. Homeopathy 2017; 106: 27-31
- 15 Lopes CR, Falkowski GJS, Brustolin CF. , et al. Highly diluted medication reduces tissue parasitism and inflammation in mice infected by Trypanosoma cruzi. Homeopathy 2016; 105: 186-193
- 16 de Santana FR, Dalboni LC, Nascimento KF. , et al. High dilutions of antimony modulate cytokines production and macrophage - Leishmania (L.) amazonensis interaction in vitro. Cytokine 2017; 92: 33-47
- 17 Malarczyk E, Kochmanska-Rdest J, Jarosz-Wilkolazka A. Influence of very low doses of mediators on fungal laccase activity - nonlinearity beyond imagination. Nonlinear Biomed Phys 2009; 3: 10
- 18 Saha SK, Roy S, Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Ultra-highly diluted plant extracts of Hydrastis canadensis and Marsdenia condurango induce epigenetic modifications and alter gene expression profiles in HeLa cells in vitro. J Integr Med 2015; 13: 400-411
- 19 Lima LF, Rocha RM, Alves AM. , et al. Comparison between the additive effects of diluted (rFSH) and diluted/dynamized (FSH 6 cH) recombinant follicle-stimulating hormone on the in vitro culture of ovine preantral follicles enclosed in ovarian tissue. Complement Ther Med 2016; 25: 39-44
- 20 Soto FR, Vuaden ER, de Paula Coelho C. , et al. Effects of the utilization of homeopathic elements in commercial diluent on swine sperm viability. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 2011; 47: 205-209
- 21 Mastrangelo TA. Metodologia de produção de moscas estéreis de Cochliomyia hominivorax (Coquerel,1958) (Diptera: Calliphoridae) no Brasil [Doctoral thesis]. São Paulo: Universidade de São Paulo; 2011
- 22 Lathoud JA. Estudos de Matéria Médica Homeopática. São Paulo: Editora Organon; 2001
- 23 Martins Junior JC, Keim FS, Iarocrinski J. Oftalmomiíase pós-traumática: relato de caso e revisão de literatura. Rev Bras Oftalmol 2010; 69: 264-268
- 24 Adams TS, Reinecke JP. The reproductive physiology of the screwworm, Cochliomyia hominivorax (Diptera: Calliphoridae). I. Oogenesis. J Med Entomol 1979; 15: 472-483
- 25 Hall MJ, Wall RL, Stevens JR. Traumatic myiasis: a neglected disease in a changing world. Annu Rev Entomol 2016; 61: 159-176
- 26 van Haselen RA, Fisher PAG. A randomized controlled trial comparing topical piroxicam gel with a homeopathic gel in osteoarthritis of the knee. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2000; 39: 714-719
- 27 Hill N, Stam C, Tuinder S, van Haselen RA. A placebo controlled clinical trial investigating the efficacy of a homeopathic after-bite gel in reducing mosquito bite induced erythema. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1995; 49: 103-108
- 28 Signoretti RD, Veríssimo CJ, De Souza FH. , et al. Desempenho e infestação por parasitos em machos leiteiros suplementados com sal proteinado com ou sem os medicamentos homeopáticos [article in Portuguese]. Rev Bras Parasitol Vet 2008; 17: 40-44
- 29 Silva NL, Moletta JL, Minho AP. Use of biotherapic in the control of natural infestation by Boophilus microplus: pilot study. Int J High Dilution Res 2008; 7: 36-38
- 30 Gazim ZC, Borges F, Ferreira P. , et al. Efficiency of tick biotherapic on the control of infestation by Rhipicephalus (Boophilus) microplus in Dutch dairy cows. Int J High Dilution Res 2010; 9: 156-164
- 31 De Almeida LR, Silva FS, Fonseca AH, Soares JPG, Lucke I. Tratamento homeopático da infestação por Dermatobia hominis (Linnaeus Jr, 1781) Díptera: Cuterebridae) em bovinos sob manejo orgânico. Comun Técnico Embrapa. 2007 :1–4
- 32 Moya-Borja GE, Muniz RA, Umehara O, Goncalves LC, Silva DS, McKenzie ME. Protective efficacy of doramectin and ivermectin against Cochliomyia hominivorax. Vet Parasitol 1997; 72: 101-109
- 33 Balls M, van Zeller AM, Halder ME. Progress in the reduction, refinement and replacement of animal experimentation. In: Balls M, van Zeller AM, Halder ME. , eds. Paper presented at: Proceedings of the 3rd World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences; August 29–September 2, 1999; Bologna, Italy
- 34 Zinsstag J, Schelling E, Waltner-Toews D, Tanner M. From “one medicine” to “one health” and systemic approaches to health and well-being. Prev Vet Med 2011; 101: 148-156