Isopathic Use of Auto-Sarcode of DNA as Anti-Miasmatic Homeopathic Medicine and Modulator of Gene Expression?Funding None.
23 July 2018
25 October 2018
13 February 2019 (eFirst)
Introduction In addition to the four pillars of homeopathy, vitalism and the miasmatic theory are often used to explain the health–disease process. According to Hahnemann's concepts, homeopathic miasms are the main obstacle to the cure of chronic diseases, with psora being the fundamental cause of all forms of diseases. According to modern genetics, the disease-promoting epigenetic alterations are the fundamental cause of the manifestation of chronic diseases.
Objective This article develops a philosophical–scientific correlation between chronic miasms and disease-promoting epigenetic modifications, aiming to justify the isopathic use of auto-sarcode of an individual's DNA as homeopathic medicine.
Results Based on the study of homeopathic doctrine and epigenetics, a conceptual and functional correlation is observed between homeopathic chronic miasms and disease-promoting epigenetic modifications. Additionally, several experimental studies suggest that homeopathy's mechanism of action may be by modulating gene expression.
Conclusions By the philosophical–scientific correlations described, it is inferred that disease-promoting epigenetic alterations are the biological representation of the chronic miasms, suggesting the isopathic use of auto-sarcode of DNA as homeopathic therapeutic modulator of gene expression for the management of chronic diseases.
• Vitalism and miasmatic theory are used to broaden the understanding of the health–disease process.
• The chronic miasms are the main obstacle to the homeopathic healing of chronic diseases.
• Disease-promoting epigenetic modifications are the biological representation of the chronic miasms.
• Anti-miasmatic homeopathic medicines are used to cure the miasms and their consequent chronic diseases.
• Isopathic use of auto-sarcode of DNA can be employed as anti-miasmatic homeopathic medicine and gene expression modulator.
- 1 Teixeira MZ. Proofs that homeopathic medicine works: dossier “scientific evidence for homeopathy” (Revista de Homeopatia, São Paulo Homeopathic Medical Association). Homeopathy 2018; 107: 45
- 2 Teixeira MZ. Special dossier: “Scientific Evidence for Homeopathy”. Rev Assoc Med Bras (1992) 2018; 64: 93-94
- 3 Hahnemann S. Organon der Heilkunst. Organon da arte de curar. 6th ed. Ribeirão Preto: Museu de Homeopatia Abrahão Brickmann; 1995
- 4 Teixeira MZ. A concepção vitalista de Samuel Hahnemann [The vitalist conception of Samuel Hahnemann]. Rev Homeopatia (São Paulo) 1996; 61: 39-44
- 5 Teixeira MZ. Antropologia Médica Vitalista: uma ampliação ao entendimento do processo de adoecimento humano [Vitalist Medical Anthropology: a broadening to the understanding of the human illness process]. Rev Med (São Paulo) 2017; 96: 145-158
- 6 Hahnemann S. The Chronic Diseases, their peculiar nature and their homeopathic cure. Translated from the second enlarged German edition of 1835 by Prof. Louis H. Tafel. With annotations by Richard Hughes. Edited by Pemberton Dudley. Available at: http://homeoint.org/books/hahchrdi/index.htm . Accessed September 20, 2018
- 7 Venter JC, Adams MD, Myers EW. , et al. The sequence of the human genome. Science 2001; 291: 1304-1351
- 8 Holliday R. Epigenetics: a historical overview. Epigenetics 2006; 1: 76-80
- 9 Kouzarides T. Chromatin modifications and their function. Cell 2007; 128: 693-705
- 10 García R, Ayala PA, Perdomo SP. Epigenética: definición, bases moleculares e implicaciones en la salud y en la evolución humana [Epigenetics: definition, molecular bases and implications in human health and evolution]. Rev Cienc Salud 2012; 10: 59-71
- 11 Feinberg AP, Tycko B. The history of cancer epigenetics. Nat Rev Cancer 2004; 4: 143-153
- 12 Costa EBO, Pacheco C. Epigenética: regulação da expressão gênica em nível transcricional e suas implicações [Epigenetics: gene expression regulation at transcriptional level and its implications]. Semina: Ciências Biológicas e da Saúde (Londrina) 2013; 34: 125-136
- 13 Schultz MD, He Y, Whitaker JW. , et al. Human body epigenome maps reveal noncanonical DNA methylation variation. Nature 2015; 523: 212-216
- 14 Jirtle RL, Skinner MK. Environmental epigenomics and disease susceptibility. Nat Rev Genet 2007; 8: 253-262
- 15 Dolinoy DC, Jirtle RL. Environmental epigenomics in human health and disease. Environ Mol Mutagen 2008; 49: 4-8
- 16 Linden R. Terapia gênica: o que é, o que não é e o que será [Gene therapy: what it is, what it is not and what it will be]. Estud Av 2010; 24: 31-69
- 17 Crews D, Gillette R, Scarpino SV, Manikkam M, Savenkova MI, Skinner MK. Epigenetic transgenerational inheritance of altered stress responses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2012; 109: 9143-9148
- 18 Babenko O, Kovalchuk I, Metz GA. Stress-induced perinatal and transgenerational epigenetic programming of brain development and mental health. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 2015; 48: 70-91
- 19 Bellavite P, Pettigrew A. Miasms and modern pathology. Homeopathy 2004; 93: 65-66
- 20 Gulati R. The concept of miasm. Homeopathy 2010; 99: 150
- 21 Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Potentized homoeopathic drugs act through regulation of gene-expression: a hypothesis to explain their mechanism and pathways of action in vitro. Complement Ther Med 1997; 5: 43-46
- 22 Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Towards understanding molecular mechanisms of action of homeopathic drugs: an overview. Mol Cell Biochem 2003; 253: 339-345
- 23 Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Current trends in high dilution research with particular reference to gene regulatory hypothesis. Nucleus 2014; 57: 3-17
- 24 Kay PH, Khuda-Bukhsh AR. The contribution of homeogenomic and homeogenetic studies in the support of the practice of homoeopathy. Indian J Res Homoeopathy 2016; 10: 101-107
- 25 Dei A, Bernardini S. Hormetic effects of extremely diluted solutions on gene expression. Homeopathy 2015; 104: 116-122
- 26 Bellavite P, Signorini A, Marzotto M, Moratti E, Bonafini C, Olioso D. Cell sensitivity, non-linearity and inverse effects. Homeopathy 2015; 104: 139-160
- 27 Agência Nacional de Vigilância Sanitária (ANVISA) [The National Health Surveillance Agency]. Farmacopeia Homeopática Brasileira [Brazilian Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia]. 3rd ed. Brasília: ANVISA, 2011. Available at: http://portal.anvisa.gov.br/farmacopeia-homeopatica . Accessed September 20, 2018
- 28 Agência Nacional de Vigilância Sanitária (ANVISA) [The National Health Surveillance Agency]. Resolução da Diretoria Colegiada – RDC n° 67, de 08 de outubro de 2007. Diário Oficial da República Federativa do Brasil, Poder Executivo, Brasília, DF, 09 out. 2007. Available at: http://188.8.131.52/dab/docs/legislacao/resolucao67_08_10_07.pdf . Accessed September 20, 2018
- 29 Tan SC, Yiap BC. DNA, RNA, and protein extraction: the past and the present. J Biomed Biotechnol 2009; 2009: 574398
- 30 El-Ashram S, Al Nasr I, Suo X. Nucleic acid protocols: extraction and optimization. Biotechnol Rep (Amst) 2016; 12: 33-39
- 31 Qiagen. QIAsymphony® DSP DNA Instructions for Use (Handbook), 2015. Available at: https://www.qiagen.com/us/resources/download.aspx?id=8bc88dad-4140-467e-a1f0-e390fd193865&lang=en . Accessed September 20, 2018
- 32 Conselho Nacional de Saúde (Brasil). Resolução CNS N° 340, de 8 de julho de 2004. Diretrizes para Análise Ética e Tramitação dos Projetos de Pesquisa da Área Temática Especial de Genética Humana. Available at: http://bvsms.saude.gov.br/bvs/saudelegis/cns/2004/res0340_08_07_2004.html . Accessed September 20, 2018
- 33 Gene Therapy Net. Gene Therapy Clinical Trials Regulatory Affairs. Available at: http://www.genetherapynet.com/regulatory-affairs.html . Accessed September 20, 2018
- 34 Dantas F, Rampes H. Do homeopathic medicines provoke adverse effects? A systematic review. Br Homeopath J 2000; 89: S35-S38
- 35 Dantas F. Do homeopathic medicines cause drug-dependent adverse effects or aggravations?. Rev Homeopatia (São Paulo) 2017; 80: 142-150
- 36 Khuda-Buksh AR, Saha SK, Roy S. Evidence in support of gene regulatory hypothesis: gene expression profiling manifests homeopathy effects more than placebo. Int J High Dilution Res 2013; 12: 162-167
- 37 Bigagli E, Luceri C, Bernardini S, Dei A, Filippini A, Dolara P. Exploring the effects of homeopathic Apis mellifica preparations on human gene expression profiles. Homeopathy 2014; 103: 127-132
- 38 Marzotto M, Olioso D, Brizzi M, Tononi P, Cristofoletti M, Bellavite P. Extreme sensitivity of gene expression in human SH-SY5Y neurocytes to ultra-low doses of Gelsemium sempervirens. BMC Complement Altern Med 2014; 14: 104
- 39 Olioso D, Marzotto M, Moratti E, Brizzi M, Bellavite P. Effects of Gelsemium sempervirens L. on pathway-focused gene expression profiling in neuronal cells. J Ethnopharmacol 2014; 153: 535-539
- 40 Marzotto M, Olioso D, Bellavite P. Gene expression and highly diluted molecules. Front Pharmacol 2014; 5: 237
- 41 Bellavite P, Bonafini C, Marzotto M. Experimental neuropharmacology of Gelsemium sempervirens: recent advances and debated issues. J Ayurveda Integr Med 2018; 9: 69-74
- 42 Sunila ES, Kuttan R, Preethi KC, Kuttan G. Dynamized preparations in cell culture. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2009; 6: 257-263
- 43 Preethi K, Ellanghiyil S, Kuttan G, Kuttan R. Induction of apoptosis of tumor cells by some potentiated homeopathic drugs: implications on mechanism of action. Integr Cancer Ther 2012; 11: 172-182
- 44 Frenkel M, Mishra BM, Sen S. , et al. Cytotoxic effects of ultra-diluted remedies on breast cancer cells. Int J Oncol 2010; 36: 395-403
- 45 Samadder A, Das S, Das J, Paul A, Boujedaini N, Khuda-Bukhsh AR. The potentized homeopathic drug, Lycopodium clavatum (5C and 15C) has anti-cancer effect on HeLa cells in vitro. J Acupunct Meridian Stud 2013; 6: 180-187
- 46 Arora S, Aggarwal A, Singla P, Jyoti S, Tandon S. Anti-proliferative effects of homeopathic medicines on human kidney, colon and breast cancer cells. Homeopathy 2013; 102: 274-282
- 47 Bishayee K, Sikdar S, Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Evidence of an epigenetic modification in cell-cycle arrest caused by the use of ultra-highly-diluted Gonolobus condurango extract. J Pharmacopuncture 2013; 16: 7-13
- 48 Sikdar S, Kumar Saha S, Rahman Khuda-Bukhsh A. Relative apoptosis-inducing potential of homeopathic Condurango 6c and 30c in h460 lung cancer cells in vitro: apoptosis-induction by homeopathic Condurango in h460 cells. J Pharmacopuncture 2014; 17: 59-69
- 49 Arora S, Tandon S. DNA fragmentation and cell cycle arrest: a hallmark of apoptosis induced by Ruta graveolens in human colon cancer cells. Homeopathy 2015; 104: 36-47
- 50 Saha S, Bhattacharjee P, Guha D. , et al. Sulphur alters NFκB-p300 cross-talk in favour of p53-p300 to induce apoptosis in non-small cell lung carcinoma. Int J Oncol 2015; 47: 573-582
- 51 Mondal J, Samadder A, Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Psorinum 6 × triggers apoptosis signals in human lung cancer cells. J Integr Med 2016; 14: 143-153
- 52 Khuda-Bukhsh AR, Bhattacharyya SS, Paul S, Dutta S, Boujedaini N, Belon P. Modulation of signal proteins: a plausible mechanism to explain how a potentized drug Secale cor 30c diluted beyond Avogadro's limit combats skin papilloma in mice. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011; 2011: 286320
- 53 Das D, De A, Dutta S, Biswas R, Boujedaini N, Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Potentized homeopathic drug Arsenicum Album 30C positively modulates protein biomarkers and gene expressions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae exposed to arsenate. J Chin Integr Med 2011; 9: 752-760
- 54 De A, Das D, Dutta S, Chakraborty D, Boujedaini N, Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Potentiated homeopathic drug Arsenicum Album 30C inhibits intracellular reactive oxygen species generation and up-regulates expression of arsenic resistance gene in arsenite-exposed bacteria Escherichia coli. J Chin Integr Med 2012; 10: 210-227
- 55 Das S, Saha SK, De A, Das D, Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Potential of the homeopathic remedy, Arnica Montana 30C, to reduce DNA damage in Escherichia coli exposed to ultraviolet irradiation through up-regulation of nucleotide excision repair genes. J Chin Integr Med 2012; 10: 337-346
- 56 Marotti I, Betti L, Bregola V. , et al. Transcriptome profiling of wheat seedling following treatment with ultrahigh diluted arsenic trioxide. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2014; 2014: 851263
- 57 Khuda-Bukhsh AR, Sikdar S. Condurango 30c induces epigenetic modification of lung cancer-specific tumour suppressor genes via demethylation. Forsch Komplement Med 2015; 22: 172-179
- 58 Saha SK, Roy S, Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Ultra-highly diluted plant extracts of Hydrastis canadensis and Marsdenia condurango induce epigenetic modifications and alter gene expression profiles in HeLa cells in vitro. J Integr Med 2015; 13: 400-411
- 59 Olioso D, Marzotto M, Bonafini C, Brizzi M, Bellavite P. Arnica Montana effects on gene expression in a human macrophage cell line. Evaluation by quantitative real-time PCR. Homeopathy 2016; 105: 131-147
- 60 Olioso D, Marzotto M, Bonafini C, Brizzi M, Bellavite P. Response to commentary: Arnica montana effects on gene expression in a human macrophage cell line. Evaluation by quantitative real-time PCR. Front Immunol 2016; 7: 320
- 61 Olsen S. Effects of ultra-high dilutions of sodium butyrate on viability and gene expression in HEK 293 cells. Homeopathy 2017; 106: 32-36