Incision and Drainage with Daily Irrigation for the Treatment of Auricular Pseudocyst
31 December 2017
12 October 2018
06 February 2019 (eFirst)
Introduction Pseudocyst of the pinna is a rare condition that occurs when fluid accumulates in the intercartilagenous space of the auricle. The main goal when treating this condition is to keep acceptable cosmetic results with no recurrence rate.
Objective To demonstrate the superior impact of incision and drainage of auricular pseudocysts with the insertion of a catheter drain and daily irrigation as the treatment of this condition.
Methods A total of 42 patients with auricular pseudocysts were enrolled in the present study in the period between May 2011 and May 2017. All of the patients were treated with incision and drainage with compression. The average follow-up time reached ∼ 6 months in all of the cases.
Results All of the patients had satisfactory cosmetic results with no recurrence and no complications.
Conclusion Among the different methods of surgical treatment of pseudocyst of the pinna, incision and drainage with daily irrigation is a significantly efficient method both for the eradication of auricular pseudocysts and for good cosmetic results.
Ethics Committee Approval
The present study was approved by the local ethics committee.
A signed informed consent was obtained from all the participants of the present study.
The authors declare that the present study received no financial support.
- 1 Engel D. Pseudocysts of the auricle in Chinese. Arch Otolaryngol 1966; 83 (03) 197-202
- 2 Choi S, Lam KH, Chan KW, Ghadially FN, Ng AS. Endochondral pseudocyst of the auricle in Chinese. Arch Otolaryngol 1984; 110 (12) 792-796
- 3 Ramadass T, Ayyaswamy G. Pseudocyst of auricle - etiopathogenesis, treatement update and literature review. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2006; 58 (02) 156-159
- 4 Karabulut H, Acar B, Seluck K. Treatment of the non-traumatic auricular pseudocyst with aspiration and intralesional steroid injection. N J Med 2009; 26: 117-119
- 5 Ichioka S, Yamada A, Ueda K, Harii K. Pseudocyst of the auricle: case reports and its biochemical characteristics. Ann Plast Surg 1993; 31 (05) 471-474
- 6 Hoffmann TJ, Richardson TF, Jacobs RJ, Torres A. Pseudocyst of the auricle. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1993; 19 (03) 259-262
- 7 Patigaroo SA, Mehfooz N, Patigaroo FA, Kirmani MH, Waheed A, Bhat S. Clinical characteristics and comparative study of different modalities of treatment of pseudocyst pinna. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 269 (07) 1747-1754
- 8 Kanotra SP, Lateef M. Pseudocyst of pinna: a recurrence-free approach. Am J Otolaryngol 2009; 30 (02) 73-79
- 9 Wang H-L, Kuen-Yao Ho. Sheau-Fang Yang, Yu-Jen Wu, Hsun-Mo Wang. The Experience of Reliable Surgical Management for Intractable Auricular Pseudocysts. Int Adv Otol 2013; 9 (03) 313-318
- 10 Tan BY, Hsu PP. Auricular pseudocyst in the tropics: a multi-racial Singapore experience. J Laryngol Otol 2004; 118 (03) 185-188
- 11 Schulte KW, Neumann NJ, Ruzicka T. Surgical pearl: The close-fitting ear cover cast--a noninvasive treatment for pseudocyst of the ear. J Am Acad Dermatol 2001; 44 (02) 285-286
- 12 Kim TY, Kim DH, Yoon MS. Treatment of a recurrent auricular pseudocyst with intralesional steroid injection and clip compression dressing. Dermatol Surg 2009; 35 (02) 245-247
- 13 Zhang XT, Sun B, Ling Y. , et al. [Investigation of clinical pathology and treatments on the auricle pseudocyst]. Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 2010; 45 (08) 640-644
- 14 Juan KH. Pseudocyst of the auricle: steroid therapy. Auris Nasus Larynx 1994; 21 (01) 8-12
- 15 Glamb R, Kim R. Pseudocyst of the auricle. J Am Acad Dermatol 1984; 11 (01) 58-63
- 16 Singh D, Goswami R, Dudeja V. Management of Auricular Pseudocyst: A Comparative Study. Int J Med Res Rev 2014; 2 (05) 457-462