Not a Cheap Investment: Estimating the Cost of the 2017 to 2018 Ophthalmology Residency Match to the Applicant and Program
07 September 2018
11 October 2018
21 November 2018 (online)
Purpose To estimate the cost of the match process for all ophthalmology applicants and the departmental costs at the University of Kentucky during the 2017 to 2018 match cycle.
Design Financial analysis.
Methods Using the available national match statistics for the 2017 to 2018 ophthalmology residency match and the mean of all residency interview costs available in the literature, the estimated mean and total match costs were calculated for all applicants, including application fees and interviews. Program costs were estimated based on direct interview costs, lost productivity, and fixed costs.
Results Of 625 applicants, 475 matched into an ophthalmology residency position in 2017 to 2018. The mean estimated cost was US$6,613 for matched applicants, and all applicants spent US$4,646,950 on the match in aggregate. Our department spent an estimated US$179,327 over four interview days with 12 faculty volunteers, or an average of US$3,736 per each of 48 interviewed applicants.
Conclusions and Relevance Matching into an ophthalmology residency position is expensive not only for the applicant but also the program. Reforms to the process would likely be beneficial to both parties.
- 1 Barzansky B, Etzel SI. Medical schools in the United States, 2016-2017. JAMA 2017; 318 (23) 2360-2367
- 2 Association of American Medical Colleges. Medical Student Education: Debt, Costs, and Loan Repayment Fact Card. http://members.aamc.org/iweb/upload/2017%20Debt%20Fact%20Card.pdf . Accessed August 2018
- 3 Van Dermark JT, Wald DA, Corker JR, Reid DG. Financial implications of the emergency medicine interview process. AEM Educ Train 2017; 1 (01) 60-69
- 4 Association of American Medical Colleges. Cost of Applying to Residency Questionnaire Report. 2015. https://www.aamc.org/download/430902/data/costofapplyingtoresidency.pdf . Accessed August 2018
- 5 Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology. SFMatch. Ophthalmology Residency Match Summary Report 2018. https://www.sfmatch.org/PDFFilesDisplay/Ophthalmology_Residency_Stats_2018.pdf . Accessed August 2018
- 6 Kerfoot BP, Asher KP, McCullough DL. Financial and educational costs of the residency interview process for urology applicants. Urology 2008; 71 (06) 990-994
- 7 Rogers CR, Gutowski KA, Munoz-Del Rio A. , et al. Integrated plastic surgery residency applicant survey: characteristics of successful applicants and feedback about the interview process. Plast Reconstr Surg 2009; 123 (05) 1607-1617
- 8 Claiborne JR, Crantford JC, Swett KR, David LR. The plastic surgery match: predicting success and improving the process. Ann Plast Surg 2013; 70 (06) 698-703
- 9 Agarwal N, Choi PA, Okonkwo DO, Barrow DL, Friedlander RM. Financial burden associated with the residency match in neurological surgery. J Neurosurg 2017; 126 (01) 184-190
- 10 Nikonow TN, Lyon TD, Jackman SV, Averch TD. Survey of applicant experience and cost in the urology match: opportunities for reform. J Urol 2015; 194 (04) 1063-1067
- 11 Camp CL, Sousa PL, Hanssen AD. , et al. The cost of getting into orthopedic residency: analysis of applicant demographics, expenditures, and the value of away rotations. J Surg Ed 2016; 73 (05) 886-891
- 12 Blackshaw AM, Watson SC, Bush JS. The cost and burden of the residency match in emergency medicine. West J Emerg Med 2017; 18 (01) 169-173
- 13 Walling A, Nilsen K, Callaway P. , et al. Student expenses in residency interviewing. Kans J Med 2017; 10 (03) 1-15
- 14 Chang PS, Rezkalla J, Beard M. An analysis of the financial burden associated with the residency match at the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine. S D Med 2018; 71 (02) 66-69
- 15 Cabrera-Muffly C, Chang CWD, Puscas L. Current interview trail metrics in the otolaryngology match. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2017; 156 (06) 1097-1103
- 16 SF Match Residency and Fellowship Matching Services. Central Application Services Application and Distribution Fees. https://sfmatch.org/SpecialtyInsideAll.aspx?id=6&typ=2&name=Ophthalmology# . Accessed August 2018
- 17 The Nobel Prize Organization. The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2012. https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/economics/2012/summary . Accessed August 2018
- 18 Black CC. Examination of the residency interview process for academic pathology departments: how to make the most of a resource-heavy process. Acad Pathol 2016; 3 (03) 2374289515623551
- 19 Loh AR, Joseph D, Keenan JD, Lietman TM, Naseri A. Predictors of matching in an ophthalmology residency program. Ophthalmology 2013; 120 (04) 865-870
- 20 Polacco MA, Lally J, Walls A, Harrold LR, Malekzadeh S, Chen EY. Digging into debt: the financial burden associated with the otolaryngology match. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2017; 156 (06) 1091-1096
- 21 Susarla SM, Swanson EW, Slezak S, Lifchez SD, Redett RJ. The perception and costs of the interview process for plastic surgery residency programs: can the process be streamlined?. Plast Reconstr Surg 2017; 139 (01) 302e-309e
- 22 Pasadhika S, Altenbernd T, Ober RR, Harvey EM, Miller JM. Residency interview video conferencing. Ophthalmology 2012; 119 (02) 426-426.e5
- 23 Shah SK, Arora S, Skipper B, Kalishman S, Timm TC, Smith AY. Randomized evaluation of a web based interview process for urology resident selection. J Urol 2012; 187 (04) 1380-1384
- 24 Shappell E, Fant A, Schnapp B. , et al. A novel collaboration to reduce the travel-related cost of residency interviewing. West J Emerg Med 2017; 18 (03) 539-543
- 25 Melcher ML, Ashlagi I, Wapnir I. Matching for fellowship interviews. JAMA 2018; 320 (16) 1639-1640
- 26 Weissbart SJ, Hall SJ, Fultz BR, Stock JA. The urology match as a prisoner's dilemma: a game theory perspective. Urology 2013; 82 (04) 791-797
- 27 Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology. SFMatch. Ophthalmology Residency Match Summary Report 2017. https://www.sfmatch.org/PDFFilesDisplay/Ophthalmology_Residency_Stats_2017.pdf . Accessed August 2018
- 28 Winterton M, Ahn J, Bernstein J. The prevalence and cost of medical student visiting rotations. BMC Med Educ 2016; 16 (01) 291
- 29 ACGME Program Requirements for Graduate Medical Education in Ophthalmology. https://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PFAssets/ReviewandComment/240_Ophthalmology_2018-08-06_R&C.pdf . Accessed August 2018
- 30 National Resident Matching Program. Impact on Length of Rank Order List on Match Results: 2002–2018 Main Residency Match. http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Impact-of-Length-of-Rank-Order-List-on-Match-Results-2018-Main-Match.pdf . Accessed August 2018