Infantile Refsum Disease Associated with Hypobetalipoproteinemia
20 August 2018
29 September 2018
06 November 2018 (eFirst)
Infantile Refsum disease (IRD) is a rare peroxisome biogenesis disorder with wide range of clinical severity. Herein, we report a mild form of IRD who had been followed as a symptomatic hypobetalipoproteinemia resembling with abetalipoproteinemia. At 6 years of age, the patient was diagnosed as having hypobetalipoproteinemia with spinocerebellar degeneration, peripheral neuropathy, retinitis pigmentosa, mild mental retardation, and sensorineural hearing loss. Although low vitamin E levels normalized after oral supplementation, the patient's clinical symptoms worsened very slowly. At 30 years of age, elevated levels of very long chain fatty acids and phytanic acid and decreased plasmalogen levels were detected in the plasma. Genetic analysis revealed a homozygous mutation of Q67R in PEX10.
Although hypocholesterolemia is relatively common in IRD, it has been overlooked so far. Since there are many similarities between IRD and abetalipoproteinemia or symptomatic hypobetalipoproteinemia, care should be taken to differentiate symptomatic hypobetalipoproteinemia from IRD.
- 1 Poll-The BT, Gootjes J, Duran M. , et al. Peroxisome biogenesis disorders with prolonged survival: phenotypic expression in a cohort of 31 patients. Am J Med Genet A 2004; 126A (04) 333-338
- 2 Budden SS, Kennaway NG, Buist NR, Poulos A, Weleber RG. Dysmorphic syndrome with phytanic acid oxidase deficiency, abnormal very long chain fatty acids, and pipecolic acidemia: studies in four children. J Pediatr 1986; 108 (01) 33-39
- 3 Matsuo M, Nomura S, Hara T. , et al. A variant form of hypobetalipoproteinaemia associated with ataxia, hearing loss and retinitis pigmentosa. Dev Med Child Neurol 1994; 36 (11) 1015-1020
- 4 Scotto JM, Hadchouel M, Odievre M. , et al. Infantile phytanic acid storage disease, a possible variant of Refsum's disease: three cases, including ultrastructural studies of the liver. J Inherit Metab Dis 1982; 5 (02) 83-90
- 5 Mandel H, Berant M, Meiron D. , et al. Plasma lipoproteins and monocyte-macrophages in a peroxisome-deficient system: study of a patient with infantile Refsum disease. J Inherit Metab Dis 1992; 15 (05) 774-784
- 6 Trauner M, Claudel T, Fickert P, Moustafa T, Wagner M. Bile acids as regulators of hepatic lipid and glucose metabolism. Dig Dis 2010; 28 (01) 220-224
- 7 Braverman NE, Moser AB. Functions of plasmalogen lipids in health and disease. Biochim Biophys Acta 2012; 1822 (09) 1442-1452
- 8 Granot E, Deckelbaum RJ. Hypocholesterolemia in childhood. J Pediatr 1989; 115 (02) 171-185