Bony Incarceration of the Extensor Pollicis Longus Tendon Mimicking Rupture
09. Mai 2018
24. September 2018
05. November 2018 (online)
Background Distal radius fractures are a relatively common injury, and rupture of the extensor pollicis longus (EPL) has been known to occur in a small number of nondisplaced distal radius fractures. In contrast, bony incarceration of the EPL tendon is an exceedingly rare occurrence and warrants special attention.
Case Description Here we present a case of bony incarceration of the EPL tendon following distal radius fracture that mimicked tendon rupture. Following EPL release, the patient had improved function and pain in the wrist.
Literature Review We identified three case reports of EPL tendon entrapment following distal radius fracture, and compared and contrasted the clinical features of tendon rupture versus bony entrapment.
Clinical Relevance Our results suggest that both the type of fracture (displaced vs. nondisplaced) and the chronicity of symptoms may provide important diagnostic clues for the hand surgeon managing distal radius fracture patients presenting with EPL dysfunction.
- 1 Nellans KW, Kowalski E, Chung KC. The epidemiology of distal radius fractures. Hand Clin 2012; 28 (02) 113-125
- 2 Roth KM, Blazar PE, Earp BE, Han R, Leung A. Incidence of extensor pollicis longus tendon rupture after nondisplaced distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg Am 2012; 37 (05) 942-947
- 3 Murakami Y, Todani K. Traumatic entrapment of the extensor pollicis longus tendon in Smith's fracture of the radius-case report. J Hand Surg Am 1981; 6 (03) 238-240
- 4 Kumar A, Kelly CP. Extensor pollicis longus entrapment after Smith's fracture. Injury 2003; 34 (01) 75-78
- 5 Cavanilles Walker JM, Masferrer Pino A, Alberti Fito G. Entrapment of the extensor pollicis longus tendon after a radial fracture in a child. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2012; 37 (02) 182-183
- 6 Engkvist O, Lundborg G. Rupture of the extensor pollicis longus tendon after fracture of the lower end of the radius--a clinical and microangiographic study. Hand 1979; 11 (01) 76-86
- 7 Hirasawa Y, Katsumi Y, Akiyoshi T, Tamai K, Tokioka T. Clinical and microangiographic studies on rupture of the E.P.L. tendon after distal radial fractures. J Hand Surg [Br] 1990; 15 (01) 51-57
- 8 Skoff HD. Postfracture extensor pollicis longus tenosynovitis and tendon rupture: a scientific study and personal series. Am J Orthop 2003; 32 (05) 245-247
- 9 Helal B, Chen SC, Iwegbu G. Rupture of the extensor pollicis longus tendon in undisplaced Colles' type of fracture. Hand 1982; 14 (01) 41-47