Homoeopathic Treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: A Case Series
15.November 2018 (online)
Background Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is one of the most common diseases in age group above 50 years. Symptoms relating to urination are usually frequency, urgency, and hesitancy and vary from case to case. Very few studies are reported on homoeopathic treatment of BPH. Hence, an evidence-based observational study on five patients of BPH was done using homoeopathic medicines. The objective of this case series is to assess the usefulness of individualised homoeopathic medicines in the treatment of cases of BPH.
Methodology An open-label observational prospective study was done on patients of BPH at Gaurang Clinic and Centre for Homoeopathic Research, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India, and five patients included in this cases series were treated during 2007–2009. Individualised homoeopathic medicines were prescribed to these patients, after proper case taking, repertorisation and consultation of Materia Medica. Patients were assessed using parameters like International Prostate Symptom Score, uroflowmetry, ultrasonography and prostate-specific antigen.
Results Baseline and post-treatment parameters were assessed, which showed significant improvement in post-treatment values along with relief of symptoms in all five patients.
Conclusion Results of the study are encouraging and in accordance with the basic principles of homoeopathic prescribing (i.e. classical approach), exhibiting the benefits of constitutional medicines. All the patients showed improvement in their symptoms and laboratory parameters. However, studies with larger sample size and randomised controlled trial study design are suggested.
- 1 Deters L. Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH): Practice Essentials, Background, Anatomy. [cited 2018 July 20]. Available at: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/437359-overview . Accessed September 20, 2018
- 2 Bhat S. SRB's Manual of Surgery. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.; 2016
- 3 International Prostate Symptom Score [Internet]. En.wikipedia.org . 2018 [cited 24 July 2018]. Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Prostate_Symptom_Score . Accessed September 20, 2018
- 4 Uroflowmetry [Internet]. TheFreeDictionary.com. 2018 [cited 19 July 2018]. Available at: https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/uroflowmetry . Accessed September 20, 2018
- 5 Prostate-specific antigen [Internet]. TheFreeDictionary.com. 2018 [cited 20 July 2018]. Available at: https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/prostate-specific+antigen . Accessed September 20, 2018
- 6 Oberai P, Raja V, Arya D. , et al. Homoeopathic medicines in the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia: a multi-centric prospective observational study. Indian J Res Homoeopathy 2012; 6 (03) 16-25
- 7 Gupta G, Singh JP, Tandon S. , et al. Evidence based clinical study to assess the usefulness of homoeopathic medicines in patients of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Indian J Res Homoeopathy. 2010; 4 (04) 49-56
- 8 Reddy G, Oberai P, Singh V, Nayak C. Treating benign prostatic hyperplasia in elderly men with homoeopathy – a series of eleven cases. Indian J Res Homoeopathy 2009; 3 (04) 37-43
- 9 Nayak C, Gupta G, Mehrotra S. A case of BENIGN HYPERTROPHY of prostate cured by Homoeopathic treatment. World JPharmaceutic Res 2018; 7 (14) 882
- 10 Hati AK, Paital B, Naik KN, Mishra AK, Chainy GBN, Nanda LK. Constitutional, organopathic and combined homeopathic treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy: a clinical trial. Homeopathy 2012; 101 (04) 217-223
- 11 Paital B, Hati AK, Nanda LK, Mishra AK, Nayak C. Combined effects of constitutional and organopathic homoeopathic medicines for better improvement of benign prostatic hyperplasia cases. . Intern J Clin Med Image 2018 4(07):
- 12 Nayak C, Hati AK, Dash SK, Paital B. Benign prostatic hyperplasia and homoeopathic treatment: case study of a 64 years old patient. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018; 4 (12) 4695-4703
- 13 Nayak C, Hati AK, Dash SK, Paital B. A case report on benign prostatic hyperplasia with homoeopathic remedies. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018; 4 (11) 4398-4403