Subscribe to RSS
Bilateral Ulnar Styloid Impaction Syndrome Treated with Ulnar Styloidectomy
05 July 2018
27 August 2018
29 October 2018 (online)
Background Ulnar styloid impaction syndrome (USIS) is produced by the tip of an oversized ulnar styloid inappropriately contacting the triquetrum. This condition results in chondromalacia, synovitis, and ulnar-sided wrist pain.
Case Description We report a rare case of bilateral USIS that presented with a prolonged course. The patient's symptoms resolved in both wrists following two separate ulnar styloidectomy procedures.
Literature Review Our case differs from previous reports in that it involves a patient whose own history of USIS led to a timelier diagnosis of the same disease in the contralateral wrist. To the best of our knowledge, there are no prior reports of bilateral USIS.
Clinical Relevance USIS remains an uncommon cause of ulnar-sided wrist pain and a particularly difficult diagnosis to confirm. Here, we illustrate that this syndrome can be confidently approached using a combination of careful attention to patient history, physical examination, and various imaging methods.
This investigation was conducted at the Albany Medical Center and the Capital Region Bone and Joint Center, which are located in Albany, NY.
- 1 Topper SM, Wood MB, Ruby LK. Ulnar styloid impaction syndrome. J Hand Surg Am 1997; 22 (04) 699-704
- 2 Ahsan ZS, Rivlin M, Jupiter JB. Ulnar-sided wrist pain due to long ulnar styloid: a case report. J Wrist Surg 2016; 5 (04) 311-314
- 3 D'Agostino P, Townley WA, Le Viet D, Roulot E. Oblique ulnar styloid osteotomy--a treatment for ulnar styloid impaction syndrome. J Hand Surg Am 2011; 36 (11) 1785-1789
- 4 Bain GI, Bidwell TA. Arthroscopic excision of ulnar styloid in stylocarpal impaction. Arthroscopy 2006; 22 (06) 677.e1-677.e3
- 5 Tomaino MM, Gainer M, Towers JD. Carpal impaction with the ulnar styloid process: treatment with partial styloid resection. J Hand Surg [Br] 2001; 26 (03) 252-255
- 6 Sanmartín-Fernández M, Couceiro-Otero J, Costas-Alvarez M, Sotelo-Garcia A. Extensor carpi ulnaris tenosynovitis caused by the tip of an oversized ulnar styloid: a case report. J Wrist Surg 2015; 4 (01) 65-67