In Vitro Reversal of the Anti-Aggregant Effect of Ticagrelor Using Untreated PlateletsFunding This project was supported by the Hamilton Health Sciences New Investigator Fund.
Clinical Trial Registration Unique identifier: NCT03005704 (URL: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03005704).
29 March 2018
27 August 2018
17 October 2018 (eFirst)
Background Ticagrelor is an anti-platelet agent that is indicated for prevention of thrombosis after acute coronary syndrome or intra-coronary artery stent implantation, but it increases the risk of bleeding. Platelet transfusion has the potential to treat or prevent bleeding in patients taking ticagrelor, but the optimal quantity of platelets and timing of administration have not been fully defined.
Methods and Results Ten healthy subjects took ticagrelor in combination with acetylsalicylic acid for 5 days, and had blood collected prior to treatment and at 2, 10, 24, 48, 72 and 96 hours after the last doses. The potential of platelet transfusion to prevent or reverse bleeding was evaluated by mixing subject and donor platelet-rich plasma in vitro in nine different proportions, and measuring adenosine diphosphate-mediated aggregation by light transmission aggregometry. Spontaneous offset of the anti-aggregant effect of ticagrelor occurred gradually and was complete at 72 hours after the last dose. The addition of donor platelets enhanced the recovery. The addition of the equivalent of six apheresis platelet units produced a 50% relative reversal at 10 hours, and > 90% reversal at 24 hours.
Conclusion Donor platelets enhance reversal of the anti-aggregant effect of ticagrelor in vitro. Donor platelets given in clinically relevant amounts partially reversed ticagrelor at 10 hours after the last dose, and almost fully reversed ticagrelor at 24 hours. The results inform on the potential to reverse ticagrelor in patients who develop bleeding or require emergency surgery.
- 1 Wallentin L, Becker RC, Budaj A. , et al; PLATO Investigators. Ticagrelor versus clopidogrel in patients with acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med 2009; 361 (11) 1045-1057
- 2 Reaume KT, Regal RE, Dorsch MP. Indications for dual antiplatelet therapy with aspirin and clopidogrel: evidence-based recommendations for use. Ann Pharmacother 2008; 42 (04) 550-557
- 3 Niitsu Y, Jakubowski JA, Sugidachi A, Asai F. Pharmacology of CS-747 (prasugrel, LY640315), a novel, potent antiplatelet agent with in vivo P2Y12 receptor antagonist activity. Semin Thromb Hemost 2005; 31 (02) 184-194
- 4 Li C, Hirsh J, Xie C, Johnston MA, Eikelboom JW. Reversal of the anti-platelet effects of aspirin and clopidogrel. J Thromb Haemost 2012; 10 (04) 521-528
- 5 Sharma S, Bhambi B. Use of platelet transfusion to facilitate surgery in patients on clopidogrel and aspirin therapy after drug-eluting stent percutaneous coronary intervention. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2012; 79 (03) 498
- 6 Hansson EC, Shams Hakimi C, Åström-Olsson K. , et al. Effects of ex vivo platelet supplementation on platelet aggregability in blood samples from patients treated with acetylsalicylic acid, clopidogrel, or ticagrelor. Br J Anaesth 2014; 112 (03) 570-575
- 7 Bonhomme F, Bonvini R, Reny JL, Poncet A, Fontana P. Impact of non-inhibited platelet supplementation on platelet reactivity in patients treated with prasugrel or ticagrelor for an acute coronary syndrome: an ex vivo study. Platelets 2015; 26 (04) 324-330
- 8 Taylor G, Osinski D, Thevenin A, Devys JM. Is platelet transfusion efficient to restore platelet reactivity in patients who are responders to aspirin and/or clopidogrel before emergency surgery?. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2013; 74 (05) 1367-1369
- 9 Vilahur G, Choi BG, Zafar MU. , et al. Normalization of platelet reactivity in clopidogrel-treated subjects. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5 (01) 82-90
- 10 O'Connor SA, Amour J, Mercadier A. , et al; ACTION Study Group. Efficacy of ex vivo autologous and in vivo platelet transfusion in the reversal of P2Y12 inhibition by clopidogrel, prasugrel, and ticagrelor: the APTITUDE study. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2015; 8 (11) e002786
- 11 Storey RF, Angiolillo DJ, Patil SB. , et al. Inhibitory effects of ticagrelor compared with clopidogrel on platelet function in patients with acute coronary syndromes: the PLATO (PLATelet inhibition and patient Outcomes) PLATELET substudy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010; 56 (18) 1456-1462
- 12 Husted S, van Giezen JJ. Ticagrelor: the first reversibly binding oral P2Y12 receptor antagonist. Cardiovasc Ther 2009; 27 (04) 259-274
- 13 Dobesh PP, Oestreich JH. Ticagrelor: pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, clinical efficacy, and safety. Pharmacotherapy 2014; 34 (10) 1077-1090
- 14 Gurbel PA, Bliden KP, Butler K. , et al. Randomized double-blind assessment of the ONSET and OFFSET of the antiplatelet effects of ticagrelor versus clopidogrel in patients with stable coronary artery disease: the ONSET/OFFSET study. Circulation 2009; 120 (25) 2577-2585
- 15 Buchanan A, Newton P, Pehrsson S. , et al. Structural and functional characterization of a specific antidote for ticagrelor. Blood 2015; 125 (22) 3484-3490
- 16 Pehrsson S, Johansson KJ, Janefeldt A. , et al. Hemostatic effects of the ticagrelor antidote MEDI2452 in pigs treated with ticagrelor on a background of aspirin. J Thromb Haemost 2017; 15 (06) 1213-1222
- 17 Angheloiu GO, Gugiu GB, Ruse C, Pandey R, Dasari RR, Whatling C. Ticagrelor removal from human blood. JACC Basic Transl Sci 2017; 2 (02) 135-145
- 18 Hobl EL, Derhaschnig U, Firbas C, Schoergenhofer C, Schwameis M, Jilma B. Reversal strategy in antagonizing the P2Y12 -inhibitor ticagrelor. Eur J Clin Invest 2013; 43 (12) 1258-1261
- 19 Martin AC, Berndt C, Calmette L. , et al. The effectiveness of platelet supplementation for the reversal of ticagrelor-induced inhibition of platelet aggregation: an in-vitro study. Eur J Anaesthesiol 2016; 33 (05) 361-367
- 20 Zafar MU, Smith DA, Baber U. , et al. Impact of timing on the functional recovery achieved with platelet supplementation after treatment with ticagrelor. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2017; 10 (08) e005120
- 21 Hansson EC, Malm CJ, Hesse C. , et al. Platelet function recovery after ticagrelor withdrawal in patients awaiting urgent coronary surgery. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2017; 51 (04) 633-637
- 22 Chrono-Par® and Chrono-LUME® reagents for platelet function testing and secretion studies in whole blood and platelet rich plasma (Information leaflet). Chrono-log Corporation, Havertown, PA, United States of America; 2017
- 23 DiMinno G, Silver MJ, Murphy S. Stored human platelets retain full aggregation potential in response to pairs of aggregating agents. Blood 1982; 59 (03) 563-568
- 24 Teng R, Carlson GF, Nylander S, Andersson TL. Effects of autologous platelet transfusion on platelet inhibition in ticagrelor-treated and clopidogrel-treated subjects. J Thromb Haemost 2016; 14 (12) 2342-2352
- 25 Zakko L, Rustagi T, Douglas M, Laine L. No benefit from platelet transfusion for gastrointestinal bleeding in patients taking antiplatelet agents. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2017; 15 (01) 46-52
- 26 Baharoglu MI, Cordonnier C, Al-Shahi Salman R. , et al; PATCH Investigators. Platelet transfusion versus standard care after acute stroke due to spontaneous cerebral haemorrhage associated with antiplatelet therapy (PATCH): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial. Lancet 2016; 387 (10038): 2605-2613
- 27 Becker RC, Bassand JP, Budaj A. , et al. Bleeding complications with the P2Y12 receptor antagonists clopidogrel and ticagrelor in the PLATelet inhibition and patient Outcomes (PLATO) trial. Eur Heart J 2011; 32 (23) 2933-2944
- 28 Plicner D, Mazur P, Hymczak H. , et al. Preoperative platelet aggregation predicts perioperative blood loss and rethoracotomy for bleeding in patients receiving dual antiplatelet treatment prior to coronary surgery. Thromb Res 2015; 136 (03) 519-525
- 29 McCullough J. Overview of platelet transfusion. Semin Hematol 2010; 47 (03) 235-242
- 30 Murphy S, Heaton WA, Rebulla P. Platelet production in the Old World--and the New. Transfusion 1996; 36 (08) 751-754