Acute Aortocaval Fistula Secondary to Chronic Type 1 B Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Endoleak
14 September 2018 (online)
Aortocaval fistula (ACF) is a rare complication of abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA), involving less than 1% of all AAA and is associated with high morbidity and mortality; it is even more uncommon, following endovascular aneurysm repair. The clinical presentation can be variable and making the diagnosis can be difficult. It can present with symptoms and signs of an abdominal emergency or systemic hypoperfusion. The traditional method of repair has been open surgery, which is associated with a high mortality rate. Endovascular repair has become more common, but results are difficult to interpret due to the low incidence of ACF. A high index of suspicion is imperative to avoid delay in diagnosis and care.
Informed consent is obtained for this case description.
- 1 Brightwell RE, Pegna V, Boyne N. Aortocaval fistula: current management strategies. ANZ J Surg 2013; 83 (1,2): 31-35
- 2 Kotsikoris I, Papas TT, Papanas N. , et al. Aortocaval fistula formation due to ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms: a 12-year series. Vasc Endovascular Surg 2012; 46 (01) 26-29
- 3 Akwei S, Altaf N, Tennant W, MacSweeney S, Braithwaite B. Emergency endovascular repair of aortocaval fistula--a single center experience. Vasc Endovascular Surg 2011; 45 (05) 442-446
- 4 Brewster DC, Cambria RP, Moncure AC. , et al. Aortocaval and iliac arteriovenous fistulas: recognition and treatment. J Vasc Surg 1991; 13 (02) 253-264 , discussion 264–265
- 5 Calligaro KD, Savarese RP, DeLaurentis DA. Unusual aspects of aortovenous fistulas associated with ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Vasc Surg 1990; 12 (05) 586-590
- 6 Beveridge CJ, Pleass HCC, Chamberlain J, Wyatt MG, Rose JDG. Aortoiliac aneurysm with arteriocaval fistula treated by a bifurcated endovascular stent-graft. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 1998; 21 (03) 244-246
- 7 Siepe M, Koeppe S, Euringer W, Schlensak C. Aorto-caval fistula from acute rupture of an abdominal aortic aneurysm treated with a hybrid approach. J Vasc Surg 2009; 49 (06) 1574-1576
- 8 Shah TR, Parikh P, Borkon M. , et al. Endovascular repair of contained abdominal aortic aneurysm rupture with aortocaval fistula presenting with high-output heart failure. Vasc Endovascular Surg 2013; 47 (01) 51-56
- 9 Antoniou GA, Koutsias S, Karathanos C, Sfyroeras GS, Vretzakis G, Giannoukas AD. Endovascular stent-graft repair of major abdominal arteriovenous fistula: a systematic review. J Endovasc Ther 2009; 16 (04) 514-523
- 10 Bernstein J, Jimenez JC. Inferior vena cava thrombosis following endovascular repair of acute aortocaval fistula: a word of caution. Vasc Endovascular Surg 2013; 47 (06) 467-469