Treatment of Long Bone Fractures in Calves with Ilizarov External FixatorFunding This study has been supported under the project number ADU-BAP SAE-09012.
19 January 2018
09 May 2018
13 September 2018 (online)
In this study, the advantages and disadvantages of Ilizarov external fixator in the treatment of long bone fractures in calves were investigated. For this purpose, 26 calves of different breeds, ages and genders, having metacarpal (n = 12), metatarsal (n = 5) and antebrachial (n = 9) fractures underwent surgery under general anaesthesia. Frames, which were prepared before surgery in accordance with the radiographic findings, were applied under open reduction in 18 cases, and under closed reduction in eight cases. In the postoperative period, all calves except one started to bear some weigh on the injured limb on the first day, while the remaining calf did the same on the second day. The consolidation started in the first 2 weeks for 24 of the calves and was completed by the day 55. In the two remaining cases, it started in the third week and was completed on day 71 and day 90, respectively.
The soft tissue wounds were completely healed in all calves and no complications occurred. In five calves that were not kept in our clinic pin tract infections formed. They were controlled rapidly, and there was no change in the fracture reduction or healing duration.
In conclusion, in our study, the Ilizarov external fixator system was applied to long bone fractures in cattle calves, in cases where the fragments were not large enough to apply pins and plates, and which became open and infected after defective bandage practices or unsuitable treatment. Fractures completely healed in all cases, without any complications. These results show that many of the long bone fractures experienced by calves, that were considered for amputation due to the anticipated inability to treat them successfully, could be treated with the use of the Ilizarov system.
This study is the summary of the first writer's master's thesis with the same title.
This work was presented as an oral presentation at the 14th National Veterinary Surgery Congress 23–26 Ekim 2014 Antalya, Turkey.
Both authors contributed to conception of study, study design, and data acquisition and data analysis and interpretation. Both authors drafted, revised and approved the submitted manuscript.
- 1 Yamagishi N, Kajiwara A, Shibano KI. , et al. Humeral fracture in a Japanese Black calf repaired by closed approach and two methods of external skeletal fixation. J Vet Med Sci 2017; 79 (06) 1056-1060
- 2 Bilgili H, Kürüm B, Olcay B. Investigation of treatment possibilities of long bone fractures in the ice with Ilizarov technique. Ankara University Veterinary Faculty Journal 1999; 16: 299-308
- 3 Görgül OS, Seyrek İntaş D, Çelimli N. , et al. Evaluation of fractures in the calves: 31 cases (1996–2003). J Turk Vet Surg 2004; 10 (3–4): 16-20
- 4 Sarıerler M, Kılıç N. A brief overview of the disease surgical clinic of Adnan Menderes University (ADU) Veterinary Faculty (1999–2003). Uludag Univ J Fac Vet Med 2003; 22: 1-2
- 5 Olcay B, Bilgili H, Kurum B. Treatment of communitive diaphyseal metacarpal fracture in a calf using the Ilizarov circular external fixation system. J Israel Vet Med Assoc 1999; 54 (04) 122-127
- 6 Vogel R, Anderson E. External skeletal fixation of fractures in cattle. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract 2014; 30 (01) 127-142
- 7 Martens A, Steenhaut M, Gasthuys F, De Cupere C, De Moor A, Verschooten F. Conservative and surgical treatment of tibial fractures in cattle. Vet Rec 1998; 143 (01) 12-16
- 8 Silva HR, Clements DN, Yeadon R, Fitzpatrick N. Linear-circular external skeletal fixation of intra-condylar humeral fractures with supracondylar comminution in four cats. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2012; 25 (01) 61-66
- 9 Havıtçıoğlu H. Indications of external fixators: İlizarov Surgery and its principles. In: Çakmak M. , Kocaoğlu, eds. Istanbul: M. Doruk Graphics; 1999: 17-22
- 10 Havıtçıoglu H. Biomechanical principles of Ilizarov external fixator application: Ilizarov Surgery and its Principles. In: Çakmak M. , Kocaoglu, eds. Istanbul: M. Doruk Graphics; 1999: 35-46
- 11 Gülşen M. Ilizarov technical applications and indications. 15. İlizarov Education Meeting 14–16 May 2010 Adana
- 12 Ilizarov GA. The apparatus: components and biomechanical principles of application. In: Ilizarov GA. , ed. Transosseous Osteosynthesis: Theoretical and Clinical Aspects of Regeneration and Growth of Tissues. Berlin: Springer Verlag; 1992: 63-136
- 13 Ferretti A. The Application of the Ilizarov technique to veterinary medicine: operative principles of Ilizarov appendix. In: Maiocchi AB, Aronson J. , eds. İtaly: ASAMI Group; 1991: 551-570
- 14 Mutlu Z. Clinical studies on Ilizarov external fixator applications in the limbs of dogs. Doctoral Thesis, Istanbul University Veterinary Faculty, Istanbul, Turkey, 2001
- 15 Aithal HP, Singh GR, Hoque M. , et al. The use of long bone osteotomies in large ruminants: an experimental study. J Vet Med Sci 2004; 51: 284-293
- 16 Aithal HP, Amarpal A, Kinjavdekar P. , et al. Management of fractures near the carpal joint of two calves by transarticular fixation with a circular external fixator. Vet Rec 2007; 161 (06) 193-198
- 17 Rovesti GL, Bosio A, Marcellin-Little DJ. Management of 49 antebrachial and crural fractures in dogs using circular external fixators. J Small Anim Pract 2007; 48 (04) 194-200
- 18 Cappellari F, Piras L, Panichi E, Ferretti A, Peirone B. Treatment of antebrachial and crural septic nonunion fractures in dogs using circular external skeletal fixation: a retrospective study. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2014; 27 (04) 297-305
- 19 Singh GR, Aithal HP, Saxena RK. , et al. In vitro biomechanical properties of linear, circular, and hybrid external skeletal fixation devices for use in large ruminants. Vet Surg 2007; 36 (01) 80-87
- 20 Kürüm B, Bilgili H, Yardımcı C. Ilizarov's circular external fixation system, Part IV: Biomechanical properties of the system. Journal of Veterinary Surgery 2002; 8: 107-115
- 21 Bronson DG. Effect of individual components on the mechanical stability of the Ilizarov external fixation device. Master thesis. University of Texas. Southwestern Medical Center, 1995. Dallas, United States
- 22 Gasser B, Boman B, Wyder D, Schneider E. Stiffness characteristics of the circular Ilizarov device as opposed to conventional external fixators. J Biomech Eng 1990; 112 (01) 15-21
- 23 Gül NY, Bilgili H, Kürüm B. , et al. Circular external fixation system of Ilizarov. Part VI: complications of Ilizarov technique. Turk J Vet Surg 2004; 10: 90-97
- 24 Paley D, Fleming B, Catagni M, Kristiansen T, Pope M. Mechanical evaluation of external fixators used in limb lengthening. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1990; (250) 50-57
- 25 Podolsky A, Chao EYS. Mechanical performance of Ilizarov circular external fixators in comparison with other external fixators. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1993; (293) 61-70
- 26 Anderson DA, St Jean G. External skeletal fixation in ruminants. Adv Rum Orthop 1996; 12: 117-152
- 27 Marcellin-Little DJ. Fracture treatment with circular external fixation. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 1999; 29 (05) 1153-1170 , vii
- 28 De Godoy RF, Richard R, Lilian A. Treatment of a periarticular tibial fracture in a foal with a hybrid external fixator. Vet Surg 2009; 38: 650-653
- 29 Steiner A, Iselin U, Auer JA, Lischer CJ. Physeal fractures of metacarpus and metatarsus in cattle. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 1993; 6: 131-137
- 30 Song Y, Xiaodong Qi, Shen J. Free flap combined with external fixator in the treatment of open fractures of the calf. Cell Biochem Biophys 2014; 70 (01) 549-552
- 31 Patel TP, Mistry JN, Patel PB. , et al. Clinical and radiographic evaluation of tibia fracture management using intramedullary pinning – a study in three calves. Intas Polivet 2012; 13 (02) 435-439
- 32 St-Jean G, DeBowes RM, Rashmir AM, Engelken TJ. Repair of a proximal diaphyseal femoral fracture in a calf, using intramedullary pinning, cerclage wiring, and external fixation. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1992; 200 (11) 1701-1703
- 33 Tambe A, As-Sultany M, Clark DI. Nonunion of a scapular spine fracture: Case report and management with open reduction, internal fixation, and bone graft. Int J Shoulder Surg 2008; 2 (03) 64-67
- 34 Öztaş E, Avki S. Evaluation of Acrylic Pin External Fixation (APEF) system in metacarpal fractures of newborn calves: cheap but effective. Kafkas Univ Vet Fak Derg 2015; 21 (03) 433-436