Artificial Intelligence in Public Health and Epidemiology
29 August 2018 (online)
Objectives: To introduce and summarize current research in the field of Public Health and Epidemiology Informatics.
Methods: The 2017 literature concerning public health and epidemiology informatics was searched in PubMed and Web of Science, and the returned references were reviewed by the two section editors to select 14 candidate best papers. These papers were then peer-reviewed by external reviewers to provide the editorial team with an enlightened vision to select the best papers.
Results: Among the 843 references retrieved from PubMed and Web of Science, two were finally selected as best papers. The first one analyzes the relationship between the disease, social/mass media, and public emotions to understand public overreaction (leading to a noticeable reduction of social and economic activities) in the context of a nation-wide outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in Korea in 2015. The second paper concerns a new methodology to de-identify patient notes in electronic health records based on artificial neural networks that outperformed existing methods.
Conclusions: Surveillance is still a productive topic in public health informatics but other very important topics in Public Health are appearing. For example, the use of artificial intelligence approaches is increasing.
- 1 Thiébaut R, Thiessard F. Public Health and Epidemiology Informatics. Yearb Med Inform 2017; 26: 248-50
- 2 Flahault A, Geissbuhler A, Guessous I, Guérin PJ, Bolon I, Salathé M. , et al. Precision global health in the digital age. Swiss Med Wkly 2017; 147: w14423
- 3 Salathé M. Digital epidemiology: what is it, and where is it going?. Life Sci Soc Policy 2018; 14: 1-5
- 4 Lecun Y, Bengio Y, Hinton G. Deep learning. Nature 2015; 521: 436-44
- 5 Nguyen P, Tran T, Wickramasinghe N, Venkatesh S. Deepr: A Convolutional Net for Medical Records. IEEE J Biomed Health Inform 2017; 21: 22-30
- 6 Dernoncourt F, Lee JY, Uzuner O, Szolovits P. De-identification of patient notes with recurrent neural networks. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2017; 24: 596-606
- 7 Choi S, Lee J, Kang MG, Min H, Chang YS, Yoon S. Large-scale machine learning of media outlets for understanding public reactions to nation-wide viral infection outbreaks. Methods Inf Med 2017; 129: 50-9
- 8 Kagashe I, Yan Z, Suheryani I. Enhancing seasonal influenza surveillance: Topic analysis of widely used medicinal drugs using twitter data. J Med Internet Res 2017; 19: 1-14
- 9 Kang GJ, Ewing-Nelson SR, Mackey L, Schlitt JT, Marathe A, Abbas KM. , et al. Semantic network analysis of vaccine sentiment in online social media. Vaccine 2017; 35: 3621-38
- 10 Lamy JB, Séroussi B, Griffon N, Kerdelhué G, Jaulent MC, Bouaud J. Toward a Formalization of the Process to Select IMIA Yearbook Best Papers. Methods Inf Med 2015; 54: 135-44
- 11 Bhattarai AK, Zarrin A, Lee J. Applications of information and communications technologies to public health: A scoping review using the MeSH term “public health informatics”. Online J Public Health Inform 2017; 9: e192
- 12 Bouzillé G, Poirier C, Campillo-Gimenez B, Aubert ML, Chabot M, Chazard E. , et al. Leveraging hospital big data to monitor flu epidemics. Comput Methods Programs Biomed 2018; 154: 153-60
- 13 Merkord CL, Liu Y, Mihretie A, Gebrehiwot T, Awoke W, Bayabil E. , et al. Integrating malaria surveillance with climate data for outbreak detection and forecasting: The EPIDEMIA system. Malar J 2017; 16: 1-15
- 14 Bonnet E, Nikiéma A, Traoré Z, Sidbega S, Ridde V. Technological solutions for an effective health surveillance system for road traffic crashes in Burkina Faso. Glob Health Action 2017; 10: 1295698
- 15 Amoah AO, Angell SY, Byrnes-Enoch H, Amirfar S, Maa P, Wang JJ. Bridging the gap between clinical practice and public health: Using EHR data to assess trends in the seasonality of blood-pressure control. Prev Med Reports 2017; 6: 369-75
- 16 Lagarde E. Road Traffic Injury Is an Escalating Burden in Africa and Deserves Proportionate Research Efforts. PLoS Med 2007; 4: 170
- 17 Pananos AD, Bury TM, Wang C, Schonfeld J, Mohanty SP, Nyhan B. , et al. Critical dynamics in population vaccinating behavior. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2017; 114: 201704093
- 18 Rabarison KM, Croston MA, Englar NK, Bish CL, Flynn SM, Johnson CC. Measuring Audience Engagement for Public Health Twitter Chats: Insights From #LiveFitNOLA. JMIR Public Health Surveill 2017; 3: e34
- 19 Gough A, Hunter RF, Ajao O, Jurek A, McKeown G, Hong J. , et al. Tweet for Behavior Change: Using Social Media for the Dissemination of Public Health Messages. JMIR Public Health Surveill 2017; 3: e14
- 20 Margulis AV, Fortuny J, Kaye JA, Calingaert B, Reynolds M, Plana E. , et al. Value of Free-Text Comments for Validating Cancer Cases Using Primary-Care Data in the UK. Epidemiology 2018; 29: 308-13
- 21 Carney TJ, Shea CM. Informatics Metrics and Measures for a Smart Public Health Systems Approach: Information Science Perspective. Comput Math Methods Med 2017; 2017: 1452415