Subscribe to RSS
Surgical Treatment of Chronic Parotitis
16 January 2018
20 May 2018
24 October 2018 (online)
Introduction chronic parotitis (CP) is a hindering, recurring inflammatory ailment that eventually leads to the destruction of the parotid gland. When conservative measures and sialendoscopy fail, parotidectomy can be indicated.
Objective to evaluate the efficacy and safety of parotidectomy as a treatment for CP unresponsive to conservative therapy, and to compare superficial and near-total parotidectomy (SP and NTP).
Methods retrospective consecutive case series of patients who underwent parotidectomy for CP between January 1999 and May 2012. The primary outcome variables were recurrence, patient contentment, transient and permanent facial nerve palsy and Frey syndrome. The categorical variables were analyzed using the two-sided Fisher exact test. Alongside, an elaborate review of the current literature was conducted.
Results a total of 46 parotidectomies were performed on 37 patients with CP. Near-total parotidectomy was performed in 41 and SP in 5 cases. Eighty-four percent of patients was available for the telephone questionnaire (31 patients, 40 parotidectomies) with a mean follow-up period of 6,2 years. Treatment was successful in 40/46 parotidectomies (87%) and 95% of the patients were content with the result. The incidence of permanent and transient facial nerve palsy was 0 (0%) and 12 (26.1%), respectively. Frey syndrome manifested in 20 (43.5%) patients. Neither this study nor careful review of the current literature resulted in evident difference between SP and NTP regarding the primary outcome variables.
Conclusion parotidectomy is a safe and effective treatment for CP in case conservative therapy fails. There is no evidence of a distinct difference between SP and NTP regarding efficiency, facial nerve palsy or Frey syndrome.
- 1 Moody AB, Avery CM, Walsh S, Sneddon K, Langdon JD. Surgical management of chronic parotid disease. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2000; 38 (06) 620-622 . Doi: 10.1054/bjom.2000.0478
- 2 Sharma R. Superficial parotidectomy for chronic parotid sialadenitis. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2013; 42 (01) 129-132 . Doi: 10.1016/j.ijom.2012.04.003
- 3 Bhatty MA, Piggot TA, Soames JV, McLean NR. Chronic non-specific parotid sialadenitis. Br J Plast Surg 1998; 51 (07) 517-521
- 4 Seifert G. Aetiological and histological classification of sialadenitis. Pathologica 1997; 89 (01) 7-17
- 5 Amin MA, Bailey BM, Patel SR. Clinical and radiological evidence to support superficial parotidectomy as the treatment of choice for chronic parotid sialadenitis: a retrospective study. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2001; 39 (05) 348-352 . Doi: 10.1054/bjom.2001.0671
- 6 Nouraei SA, Ismail Y, McLean NR, Thomson PJ, Milner RH, Welch AR. Surgical treatment of chronic parotid sialadenitis. J Laryngol Otol 2007; 121 (09) 880-884 . Doi: 10.1017/S0022215106005445
- 7 Patel RS, Low T-HH, Gao K, O'Brien CJ. Clinical outcome after surgery for 75 patients with parotid sialadenitis. Laryngoscope 2007; 117 (04) 644-647 . Doi: 10.1097/mlg.0b013e318030acc0
- 8 Harbison JM, Liess BD, Templer JW, Zitsch III RP, Wieberg JA. Chronic parotitis: a challenging disease entity. Ear Nose Throat J 2011; 90 (03) E13-E16
- 9 Beahrs OH, Devine KD, Woolner LB. Parotidectomy in the treatment of chronic sialadenitis. Am J Surg 1961; 102: 760-764
- 10 Perzik SL. Parotidectomy for inflammatory lesions. Am J Surg 1961; Dec; 102: 769-776
- 11 Nichols RD. Surgical treatment of chronic suppurative parotitis. A critical review. Laryngoscope 1977; 87 (12) 2066-2081 . Doi: 10.1288/00005537-197712000-00013
- 12 Casterline PF, Jaques DA. The surgical management of recurrent parotitis. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1978; 146 (03) 419-422
- 13 Cancura W. [Surgical therapy of chronic parotitis]. Laryngol Rhinol Otol (Stuttg) 1982; 61 (12) 683-685
- 14 Chilla R, Meyfarth HO, Arglebe C. [Surgical treatment of chronic parotitis (author's transl)]. Arch Otorhinolaryngol 1982; 234 (01) 53-63
- 15 Schultz PW, Woods JE. Subtotal parotidectomy in the treatment of chronic sialadenitis. Ann Plast Surg 1983; 11 (06) 459-461
- 16 Arriaga MA, Myers EN. The surgical management of chronic parotitis. Laryngoscope 1990; 100 (12) 1270-1275
- 17 Bates D, O'Brien CJ, Tikaram K, Painter DM. Parotid and submandibular sialadenitis treated by salivary gland excision. Aust N Z J Surg 1998; 68 (02) 120-124
- 18 Yuan X, Gao Z, Jiang H. , et al. Predictors of facial palsy after surgery for benign parotid disease: multivariate analysis of 626 operations. Head Neck 2009; 31 (12) 1588-1592 . Doi: 10.1002/hed.21134
- 19 Guntinas-Lichius O, Klussmann JP, Wittekindt C, Stennert E. Parotidectomy for benign parotid disease at a university teaching hospital: outcome of 963 operations. Laryngoscope 2006; 116 (04) 534-540 . Doi: 10.1097/01.mlg.0000200741.37460.ea
- 20 Koch M, Zenk J, Iro H. Long-term results of morbidity after parotid gland surgery in benign disease. Laryngoscope 2010; 120 (04) 724-730 . Doi: 10.1002/lary.20822
- 21 Zenk J, Iro H, Klintworth N, Lell M. Diagnostic imaging in sialadenitis. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 2009; 21 (03) 275-292 . Doi: 10.1016/j.coms.2009.04.005
- 22 Heineman TE, Kacker A, Kutler DI. Idiopathic Chronic Parotitis: Imaging Findings and Sialendoscopic Response. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 2015; 77 (05) 302-309 . Doi: 10.1159/000438760
- 23 Strychowsky JE, Sommer DD, Gupta MK, Cohen N, Nahlieli O. Sialendoscopy for the management of obstructive salivary gland disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2012; 138 (06) 541-547 . Doi: 10.1001/archoto.2012.856
- 24 Gillespie MB, O'Connell BP, Rawl JW, McLaughlin CW, Carroll WW, Nguyen SA. Clinical and quality-of-life outcomes following gland-preserving surgery for chronic sialadenitis. Laryngoscope 2015; 125 (06) 1340-1344 . Doi: 10.1002/lary.25062