Subscribe to RSS
Wrist Swelling in Kienböck's Disease
13 December 2017
21 May 2018
02 July 2018 (online)
Background and Purpose Wrist swelling is a frequent clinical manifestation of Kienböck's disease, but no study has reported the site and pathology of wrist swelling in this disease. The aim of this study is to elucidate the site and pathology of wrist swelling in Kienböck's disease.
Materials and Methods Dorsal and palmar soft tissue thicknesses of the wrist were measured on standard lateral radiographs of the wrist in 26 patients with Kienböck's disease and 30 subjects without intra-articular lesion. Axial magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) views were examined to detect the site of swelling. The dorsal capsular ligament in three patients with Kienböck's disease underwent histological examination.
Results Radiographic study confirmed dorsal wrist swelling in 24 of 26 (92%) patients examined compared with the contralateral unaffected wrists. MRI demonstrated thickening of the dorsal capsular ligament and extensor layer with synovial proliferation. Histological examination revealed nonspecific chronic inflammation.
Conclusion Dorsal wrist swelling in Kienböck's disease is a common manifestation and constitutes a part of pathology of Kienböck's disease, although further study is required to clarify the relation between wrist swelling and etiology of Kienböck's disease.
Level of Evidence This is a Level III study.
This work was performed at the Nagoya Hand Center, Chunichi Hospital, Nagoya, Japan.
- 1 Nakamura R, Hori M, Imamura T, Horii E, Miura T. Method for measurement and evaluation of carpal bone angles. J Hand Surg Am 1989; 14 (2 Pt 2): 412-416
- 2 Nakamura R, Horii E, Imaeda T, Tsunoda K, Nakao E. Distal radioulnar joint subluxation and dislocation diagnosed by standard roentgenography. Skeletal Radiol 1995; 24 (02) 91-94
- 3 Lichtman DM, Degnan GG. Staging and its use in the determination of treatment modalities for Kienböck's disease. Hand Clin 1993; 9 (03) 409-416
- 4 Makino N, Ishigaki T, Sakuma S, Takamatsu K, Tsunoda K, Nakamura R. [Three-phase bone scintigraphy of Kienböck disease]. Kaku Igaku 1992; 29 (12) 1419-1427
- 5 Jacobsson H, Svartengren G. The development of Kienböck's disease as followed up by bone scintigraphy and radiography. RoFo Fortschr Geb Rontgenstr Nuklearmed 1988; 149 (05) 541-543
- 6 Stuckey SL, Kalff V, Hoy G. Bone scan findings in Kienböck's disease. A case report with atypical findings and literature review. Clin Nucl Med 1997; 22 (07) 481-483
- 7 Lesire MR, Allieu Y, Bonnel F. , et al. Etiologie traumatique de la maladie de Kienböck. (Luxations péri-lunariennes et nécrose du semi-lunaire). Ann Chir Main 1982; 1 (03) 242-246
- 8 Mok CC, Wong RW, Lau CS. Kienbock's disease in rheumatoid arthritis. Br J Rheumatol 1998; 37 (07) 796-797
- 9 Desy NM, Bernstein M, Harvey EJ, Hazel H. Kienbock's disease and juvenile idiopathic arthritis. McGill J Med 2011; 13 (02) 8
- 10 Nakamura R, Niwa S, Takahashi S, Nakao E, Tatebe M. Lunate flattening in rheumatoid wrists. Ann Orthop Rheumatol 2014; 2: 1020
- 11 Gelberman RH, Panagis JS, Taleisnik J, Baumgaertner M. The arterial anatomy of the human carpus. Part I: the extraosseous vascularity. J Hand Surg Am 1983; 8 (04) 367-375
- 12 Panagis JS, Gelberman RH, Taleisnik J, Baumgaertner M. The arterial anatomy of the human carpus. Part II: the intraosseous vascularity. J Hand Surg Am 1983; 8 (04) 375-382
- 13 Freedman DM, Botte MJ, Gelberman RH. Vascularity of the carpus. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2001; (383) 47-59
- 14 Jensen CH. Intraosseous pressure in Kienböck's disease. J Hand Surg Am 1993; 18 (02) 355-359
- 15 Schiltenwolf M, Martini AK, Mau HC, Eversheim S, Brocai DRC, Jensen CH. Further investigations of the intraosseous pressure characteristics in necrotic lunates (Kienböck's disease). J Hand Surg Am 1996; 21 (05) 754-758
- 16 Ficat RP. Idiopathic bone necrosis of the femoral head. Early diagnosis and treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1985; 67 (01) 3-9
- 17 Liu SL, Ho TC. The role of venous hypertension in the pathogenesis of Legg-Perthes disease. A clinical and experimental study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1991; 73 (02) 194-200
- 18 Pichler M, Putz R. The venous drainage of the lunate bone. Surg Radiol Anat 2003; 24 (06) 372-376
- 19 Müller W. Über die Erweichung und Verdichtung des Os Lunatum, eine typische Erkrankung des Handgelenks. Beitr Z Klin Chir 1920; 119: 664
- 20 Bain GI, MacLean SB, Yeo CJ, Perilli E, Lichtman DM. The etiology and pathogenesis of Kienböck's disease. J Wrist Surg 2016; 5 (04) 248-254