Successful Surgical Abdominal Aortic Debranching Preceding Stent Graft Implantation: A Case Report
02 January 2018
02 May 2018
28 June 2018 (online)
Background Acute endovascular aneurysm repair with stent grafts (thoracic endovascular aortic repair [TEVAR]) is safe and feasible.
Case Description A 64-year-old female presented with a perforated aortic aneurysm of the thoracic descending aorta. Primary TEVAR resulted in good management of the perforation but a type Ib endoleakage remained postoperatively. To place another stent, abdominal debranching with saphenous vein bypass to the celiac trunk was required. In the same session, another endograft was inserted successfully.
Conclusion Abdominal debranching is a safe alternative to open aortic repair in acute thoracic and abdominal aneurysms, instead of waiting for a custom-made device.
The article was presented in annual meeting, DGTHG Leipzig, Germany, February 13, 2017.
- 1 Johansson G, Markström U, Swedenborg J. Ruptured thoracic aortic aneurysms: a study of incidence and mortality rates. J Vasc Surg 1995; 21 (06) 985-988
- 2 Jackson RS, Chang DC, Freischlag JA. Comparison of long-term survival after open vs endovascular repair of intact abdominal aortic aneurysm among Medicare beneficiaries. JAMA 2012; 307 (15) 1621-1628
- 3 Katsargyris A, Oikonomou K, Klonaris C, Töpel I, Verhoeven EL. Comparison of outcomes with open, fenestrated, and chimney graft repair of juxtarenal aneurysms: are we ready for a paradigm shift?. J Endovasc Ther 2013; 20 (02) 159-169
- 4 Czerny M, Weigang E, Sodeck G. , et al. Targeting landing zone 0 by total arch rerouting and TEVAR: midterm results of a transcontinental registry. Ann Thorac Surg 2012; 94 (01) 84-89
- 5 Shijo T, Kuratani T, Shirakawa Y. , et al. The assessment of collateral communication after hybrid repair for Crawford extent II thoraco-abdominal aortic aneurysms. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2015; 48 (06) 960-967 , discussion 967
- 6 Hughes GC, Andersen ND, Hanna JM, McCann RL. Thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm: hybrid repair outcomes. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2012; 1 (03) 311-319
- 7 Dalainas I, Nano G, Bianchi P. , et al. Endovascular techniques for the treatment of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms: 7-year intention-to-treat results. World J Surg 2006; 30 (10) 1809-1814 , discussion 1815–1816
- 8 Hughes GC, Barfield ME, Shah AA. , et al. Staged total abdominal debranching and thoracic endovascular aortic repair for thoracoabdominal aneurysm. J Vasc Surg 2012; 56 (03) 621-629
- 9 Damrauer SM, Fairman RM. Visceral debranching for the treatment of thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms: based on a presentation at the 2013 VEITH Symposium, November 19-23, 2013 (New York, NY, USA). Aorta (Stamford) 2015; 3 (02) 67-74
- 10 Fukui D, Wada Y, Komatsu K. , et al. Innovative application of available stent grafts in Japan in aortic aneurysm treatment-significance of innovative debranching and chimney method and coil embolization procedure. Ann Vasc Dis 2013; 6 (03) 601-611