Management of Infants with Congenital Muscular Torticollis
08. März 2018
11. Mai 2018
20. Juni 2018 (online)
Congenital muscular torticollis (CMT) is a deformation characterized by unilateral shortening of the sternocleidomastoid muscle resulting in lateral inclination of the neck associated with contralateral torsion. The purpose of this study was to assess the role of physical therapy in infants with CMT according to the age when treatment was started. The study was conducted in the Physical Therapy Clinic “Therapy” in Pristina for a period of 1 year from June 2016 to June 2017. The number of infants diagnosed with a CMT was 130 (71 girls and 59 boys). The infants were examined two times during the study period. The first visit was at the baseline and the second after the intervention. Three comparative groups are created based on time to start treatment. The infants were treated for 3 consecutive weeks with five sessions per week with the same therapeutic procedure. In the first examination of infants, there was no significant difference between the groups (chi-square test = 0.78, p = 0.08), whereas in the second examination after the 15 therapeutic sessions there was significant difference in the improvement of all the groups treated with physical therapy. Significant result was achieved in mean range of motion in infants of the group aged 3.1 to 6 months (mean = –35.9 ± 12.3, 95% confidence interval [CI], –39.3 to –32.4, p < 0.001) and in the mean side flexion of group aged 3.1 to 6 months (mean difference = –24.5 ± 7.9, 95% CI, –16.9 to –9.7, p < 0.001). While exercises in the 6- to 9-month age group have shown less success, because the time of appearance for physical therapy has been delayed (mean difference = –23.5 ± 10.7, 95% CI, –15.6 to –8.4, p < 0.001). From the results obtained from this study, we can conclude that the early start of the physical therapy gives much better results.
Durguti and Murtezani were overseeing this project, had full access of the data and did take responsibility for the integrity of the data.
Study Design: Durguti and Spahiu.
Instruction on the use of instruments for the outcome measures used in this study: Durguti, Murtezani, and Gara.
Analysis and interpretation of data: Durguti, Durguti, and Gara.
Manuscript preparation: Durguti, Murtezani, and Spahiu
Statistical Analysis: Durguti, Gara, and Durguti.
- 1 Cheng JC, Tang SP, Chen TM, Wong MW, Wong EM. The clinical presentation and outcome of treatment of congenital muscular torticollis in infants--a study of 1,086 cases. J Pediatr Surg 2000; 35 (07) 1091-1096
- 2 Omidi-Kashani F, Hasankhani EG, Sharifi R, Mazlumi M. Is surgery recommended in adults with neglected congenital muscular torticollis? A prospective study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2008; 9 (01) 158
- 3 Celayir AC. Congenital muscular torticollis: early and intensive treatment is critical. A prospective study. Pediatr Int 2000; 42 (05) 504-507
- 4 Parikh SN, Crawford AH, Choudhury S. Magnetic resonance imaging in the evaluation of infantile torticollis. Orthopedics 2004; 27 (05) 509-515
- 5 Lincoln TL, Suen PW. Common rotational variations in children. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2003; 11 (05) 312-320
- 6 Morrison DL, MacEwen GD. Congenital muscular torticollis: observations regarding clinical findings, associated conditions, and results of treatment. J Pediatr Orthop 1982; 2 (05) 500-505
- 7 d'Amato C. Pediatric spinal trauma: injuries in very young children. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2005; (432) 34-40
- 8 Burstein FD. Long-term experience with endoscopic surgical treatment for congenital muscular torticollis in infants and children: a review of 85 cases. Plast Reconstr Surg 2004; 114 (02) 491-493
- 9 Petronic I, Brdar R, Cirovic D. , et al. Congenital muscular torticollis in children: distribution, treatment duration and outcome. Eur J Phys Rehabil Med 2010; 46 (02) 153-157
- 10 Hale L, Piggot J. DipPhty M. The physiotherapy management of infants with congenital muscular torticollis: a survey of current practice in New Zealand. J Physiotherap 2009; 37 (03) 128
- 11 Matin A, Islam MR, Roy RR, Das BK, Rakshit SC, Khan R. Management of congenital muscular torticollis under one year of age. J Shaheed Suhrawardy Med Coll 2012; 1 (02) 2-5
- 12 Cooperman DR. The differential diagnosis of torticollis in children. Phys Occup Ther Pediatr 1997; 17 (02) 1-1
- 13 World Health Organization (1978). International Classification of Diseases: Ninth Revision, basic tabulation list with alphabetic index. Geneva: World Health Organization. Available at: http://www.who.int/iris/handle/10665/39473
- 14 Ta JH, Krishnan M. Management of congenital muscular torticollis in a child: a case report and review. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 76 (11) 1543-1546
- 15 Ozalevli SS, Bayir N, Cavusoglu YH, Cakmak O. Is physical exercise necessary in the treatment of the congenital muscular torticollis. Pediatr Cerrahi Derg 2004; 18 (01) 21-24
- 16 van Vlimmeren LA, Helders PJ, van Adrichem LN, Engelbert RH. Torticollis and plagiocephaly in infancy: therapeutic strategies. Pediatr Rehabil 2006; 9 (01) 40-46
- 17 Suhr MC, Oledzka M. Considerations and intervention in congenital muscular torticollis. Curr Opin Pediatr 2015; 27 (01) 75-81
- 18 Oledzka M, Suhr M. Postsurgical physical therapy management of congenital muscular torticollis. Pediatr Phys Ther 2017; 29 (02) 159-165
- 19 Strenk ML, Kiger M, Hawke JL, Mischnick A, Quatman-Yates C. Implementation of a quality improvement initiative: improved congenital muscular torticollis outcomes in a large hospital setting. Phys Ther 2017; 97 (06) 649-658
- 20 Kaplan SL, Coulter C, Fetters L. Physical therapy management of congenital muscular torticollis: an evidence-based clinical practice guideline: from the Section on Pediatrics of the American Physical Therapy Association. Pediatr Phys Ther 2013; 25 (04) 348-394
- 21 Carenzio G, Carlisi E, Morani I. , et al. Early rehabilitation treatment in newborns with congenital muscular torticollis. Eur J Phys Rehabil Med 2015; 51 (05) 539-545
- 22 Lee K, Chung E, Lee BH. A comparison of outcomes of asymmetry in infants with congenital muscular torticollis according to age upon starting treatment. J Phys Ther Sci 2017; 29 (03) 543-547
- 23 Jung AY, Kang EY, Lee SH, Nam DH, Cheon JH, Kim HJ. Factors that affect the rehabilitation duration in patients with congenital muscular torticollis. Ann Rehabil Med 2015; 39 (01) 18-24
- 24 Hautopp L, Wester S, Bang B. , et al. Benefit of physiotherapeutic treatment in children with torticollis. Dan Med J 2014; 61 (12) A4970
- 25 Hardgrib N, Rahbek O, Møller-Madsen B, Maimburg RD. Do obstetric risk factors truly influence the etiopathogenesis of congenital muscular torticollis?. J Orthop Traumatol 2017; 18 (04) 359-364
- 26 Nichter S. A clinical algorithm for early identification and intervention of cervical muscular torticollis. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 2016; 55 (06) 532-536