Primary Cardiac B-Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Disguised as a Pacemaker Endocarditis
02 February 2018
21 March 2018
28 June 2018 (online)
Background Pacemaker infections rates are high compared with the incidence of primary malignant cardiac tumors. However, they can look alike in diagnostics and patient presentation.
Case Description We hereby report a rare case of a suspected pacemaker endocarditis which in fact turned out to be a primary cardiac B cell lymphoma. The lymphoma was removed surgically.
Conclusion Sometimes we encounter the unexpected. Suboptimal preoperative diagnostics certainly lead to the faulty conclusion of an endocarditis. Nonetheless, even such an enhanced primary cardiac tumor can be resected with good clinical outcome and long-term survival.
- 1 Aljabri K, Garlitski A, Weinstock J, Madias C. Management of device infections. Card Electrophysiol Clin 2018; 10 (01) 153-162
- 2 Bluhm G. Pacemaker infections. A clinical study with special reference to prophylactic use of some isoxazolyl penicillins. Acta Med Scand Suppl 1985; 699: 1-62
- 3 Uslan DZ, Sohail MR, St Sauver JL. , et al. Permanent pacemaker and implantable cardioverter defibrillator infection: a population-based study. Arch Intern Med 2007; 167 (07) 669-675
- 4 Voigt A, Shalaby A, Saba S. Rising rates of cardiac rhythm management device infections in the United States: 1996 through 2003. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006; 48 (03) 590-591
- 5 Jones IV SO, Eckart RE, Albert CM, Epstein LM. Large, single-center, single-operator experience with transvenous lead extraction: outcomes and changing indications. Heart Rhythm 2008; 5 (04) 520-525
- 6 Pichlmaier M, Knigina L, Kutschka I. , et al. Complete removal as a routine treatment for any cardiovascular implantable electronic device-associated infection. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011; 142 (06) 1482-1490
- 7 Butany J, Nair V, Naseemuddin A, Nair GM, Catton C, Yau T. Cardiac tumours: diagnosis and management. Lancet Oncol 2005; 6 (04) 219-228 Review
- 8 Burke A, Virmani R. , for the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (USA). Universities Associated for Research and Education in Pathology Neoplasms of the heart and great vessels, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC (1996), p. 231
- 9 Anghel G, Zoli V, Petti N. , et al. Primary cardiac lymphoma: report of two cases occurring in immunocompetent subjects. Leuk Lymphoma 2004; 45 (04) 781-788
- 10 Ikeda H, Nakamura S, Nishimaki H. , et al. Primary lymphoma of the heart: case report and literature review. Pathol Int 2004; 54 (03) 187-195
- 11 Sarjeant JM, Butany J, Cusimano RJ. Cancer of the heart: epidemiology and management of primary tumors and metastases. Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 2003; 3 (06) 407-421
- 12 Burke A, Virmani R. Tumours and tumour-like conditions of the heart. In: Silver MD, Gotleib AG, Schoen FJ. , eds. Cardiovascular Pathology. New York: Churchill Livingstone; 2001: 583-605