Approach to the Adequate Choice of the Intramedullary Screw for the Treatment of Hand Bone Fractures — Radiological Study in Metacarpals and Proximal and Medial PhalangesArticle in several languages: español | English
11 July 2017
16 April 2018
07 June 2018 (eFirst)
Introduction One option to treat unstable and transverse fractures of the phalanges and metacarpals is intramedullary screw fixation. So far there are no references in the literature on how to choose the most appropriate screw in each case despite leaving more frequent use. However, Non-negligible complications may result in incorrect screw selection.
Material and Method One hundred radiographs were studied, in postero-anterior and oblique projection. Long fingers were measure. We were looking for the limiting measured, which is defines as the smallest dimension of the medullary in a cross-section of the bone. The limiting measure will indicate the screw that we should use.
Results A great variability was found in limiting measure. This variability was equal when studied men and women. Inverse linear regression between size of the medullar and cortical bone was observed.
Conclusions Measure the medullar of the fractured bone is an easy, fast and cheap strategy which can allow better results when we treat fractures with intramedullary screws.
- 1 del Piñal F, Moraleda E, Rúas JS, de Piero GH, Cerezal L. Minimally invasive fixation of fractures of the phalanges and metacarpals with intramedullary cannulated headless compression screws. J Hand Surg Am 2015; 40 (04) 692-700
- 2 Giesen T, Gazzola R, Poggetti A, Giovanoli P, Calcagni M. Intramedullary headless screw fixation for fractures of the proximal and middle phalanges in the digits of the hand: a review of 31 consecutive fractures. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2016; 41 (07) 688-694
- 3 Haughton D, Jordan D, Malahias M, Hindocha S, Khan W. Principles of hand fracture management. Open Orthop J 2012; 6 (01) 43-53
- 4 Eberlin KR, Babushkina A, Neira JR, Mudgal CS. Outcomes of closed reduction and periarticular pinning of base and shaft fractures of the proximal phalanx. J Hand Surg Am 2014; 39 (08) 1524-1528
- 5 Kurzen P, Fusetti C, Bonaccio M, Nagy L. Complications after plate fixation of phalangeal fractures. J Trauma 2006; 60 (04) 841-843
- 6 Hsu LP, Schwartz EG, Kalainov DM, Chen F, Makowiec RL. Complications of K-wire fixation in procedures involving the hand and wrist. J Hand Surg Am 2011; 36 (04) 610-616
- 7 Avery III DM, Klinge S, Dyrna F. , et al. Headless compression screw versus Kirschner wire fixation for metacarpal neck fractures: a biomechanical study. J Hand Surg Am 2017; 42 (05) 392.e1-392.e6
- 8 Lazar G . MD, Schulter-Ellis F. Intramedullary structure of human metacarpals. J Hand Surg Am 1980; 5 (05) 477-481
- 9 Schulter-Ellis F, Laza G. Internal Morphology of Human Phalanges. J Hand Surg Am 1984; 4 (9A): 490-495
- 10 Wang WL, Darke M, Goitz RJ, Andrews CL, Fowler JR. A comparison of plain radiographs and computed tomography for determining canal diameter of the distal phalanx. J Hand Surg Am 2014; 39 (06) 1068-1074
- 11 Dickson DR, Mehta SS, Nuttall D, Ng CY. A systematic review of distal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis. J Hand Microsurg 2014; 6 (02) 74-84
- 12 Oetgen ME, Dodds SD. Non-operative treatment of common finger injuries. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med 2008; 1 (02) 97-102
- 13 Kozin SH, Thoder JJ, Lieberman G. Operative treatment of metacarpal and phalangeal shaft fractures. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2000; 8 (02) 111-121
- 14 Friedrich JB, Vedder NB. An evidence-based approach to metacarpal fractures. Plast Reconstr Surg 2010; 126 (06) 2205-2209
- 15 Kocak E, Carruthers KH, Kobus RJ. Distal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis with the Herbert headless compression screw: outcomes and complications in 64 consecutively treated joints. Hand (NY) 2011; 6 (01) 56-59
- 16 Song JH, Lee JY, Chung YG, Park IJ. Distal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis with a headless compression screw: morphometric and functional analyses. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2012; 132 (05) 663-669
- 17 ten Berg PW, Mudgal CS, Leibman MI, Belsky MR, Ruchelsman DE. Quantitative 3-dimensional CT analyses of intramedullary headless screw fixation for metacarpal neck fractures. J Hand Surg Am 2013; 38 (02) 322-330.e2
- 18 Page SM, Stern PJ. Complications and range of motion following plate fixation of metacarpal and phalangeal fractures. J Hand Surg Am 1998; 23 (05) 827-832
- 19 Fusetti C, Meyer H, Borisch N, Stern R, Santa DD, Papaloïzos M. Complications of plate fixation in metacarpal fractures. J Trauma 2002; 52 (03) 535-539
- 20 Melamed E, Hinds RM, Gottschalk M, Kennedy O, Capo JT. Comparison of Dorsal Plate Fixation Versus Intramedullary Headless Screw Fixation of Unstable Metacarpal Shaft Fractures: A Biomechanical Study. Hand (NY) 2016; 11 (04) 421-426
- 21 Mintalucci D, Lutsky KF, Matzon JL, Rivlin M, Niver G, Beredjiklian PK. Distal interphalangeal joint bony dimensions related to headless compression screw sizes. J Hand Surg Am 2014; 39 (06) 1068-74.e1