The Flowing Clotting Time (Thrombus Formation Time) a Sensitive Test of HypercoagulabilitySupported by the Council for Tobacco Research.
10 June 2018 (online)
The addition of small amounts of extrinsic thromboplastin or of thrombin to blood in vitro accelerated coagulation more frequently and to a greater extent when determined by the flowing time test than when measured by the silicone clotting time, or by the blood or plasma heparin tolerance tests. Similar results were obtained when intrinsic thromboplastin formation was stimulated by contact with glass. However there was little or no acceleration of the flowing clotting time of plasma obtained from aliquots of the thromboplastin-containing blood. These results indicate that the flowing clotting time (thrombus formation time) of whole blcod is a more reliable test of hypercoagulability than previously described blood or plasma clotting time tests.
- 1 Engelberg H, Engelberg L. P. The Effect of Cigarette Smoking on Various Clotting Time Tests. Vase. Dise 05: 226 1968;
- 2 Chandler A. B. In Vitro Thrombotic Coagulation of the Blood. Lab. Invest 07: 110 1958;
- 3 Engelberg H, Futtermann M. Cigarette Smoking and Thrombotic Coagulation of Human Blood. Arch, environm. Health 14: 266 1967;
- 4 Waugh T. R, Ruddick D. W. Studies on Increased Coagulability of the Blood. Canad. med. Ass. J 51: 11 1944;
- 5 Gormsen J. Heparin Resistance, Thromboplastin Generation and Glass Activation. Thrombos. Diathes. haemorrh. (Stuttg) 06: 144 1961;
- 6 Esnouf M. P, Macfarlane R. G. Enzymology and Blood Clotting. Advanc. Enzymol 30: 297 1968;
- 7 Wessler S. Studies in Intravascular Coagulation III. The Pathogenesis of Serum-Induced Thrombosis. J. Clin. Invest 34: 647 1955;
- 8 Wessler S, Yin E. T, Gaston L. W, Nicol I. A Distinction between the Role of Precursor and Activated Forms of Clotting Factors in the Genesis of Stasis Thrombi. Thrombos. Diathes. haemorrh. (Stuttg) 18: 12 1967;
- 9 Holger-Madsen T. Studies on Increased Heparin Resistance Measured by the Plasma Heparin Thrombin Time. Thrombos. Diathes. haemorrh. (Stuttg) 06: 125 1961;
- 10 Poole J. G. F. A Study of Artificial Thrombi Produced by a Modification of Chandlers Method. Quart. J. exp. Physiol 44: 377 1959;