A New Type of Coagulation Inhibitor[*]
10 June 2018 (online)
1. In 2 patients blood coagulation inhibitors have been found. The first patient showed pancytopenia, splenomegaly and increase of macroglobulins in serum, no definite clinical diagnosis could be established. The second patient had a history of thromboembolic diseases, but appeared healthy at the time of investigation.
2. Clotting time, partial thromboplastin time and prothrombin time were prolonged in both patients. All clotting factors were normal if tested in dilution. Plasma and serum of the patients prolonged the partial thromboplastin time and prothrombin time of normal plasma.
3. Using partially purified clotting factors it could be shown that the inhibitors inhibit the activation of prothrombin by prothrombin activator (reaction product of F Xa+ F V+lipid). The velocity of thrombin generation and the amount of thrombin generated was reduced.
4. The inhibitory activity in both cases was present in the macroglobulin peak after gel filtration, slight activity was detected also in the G-peak in case 2. After DEAEchromatography, activity appeared in both cases in those fractions which contain IgM, in case 2 also in the first protein fractions containing only IgG.
5. Inhibitor activity could be reduced in both cases only be incubation with anti-IgM antiserum.
6. It is concluded that the inhibitor in case 1 is IgM and in case 2 IgM-IgG.
* This work was supported by a grant from the “Österreichische Forschungsrat” (Nr. 539 and 700).
- 1 Andersen B. R, Terry W. D. Gamma G4 - Globulin antibody causing inhibition of clotting factor VIII. Nature (Lond) 217: 174 1968;
- 2 Andersen B. R, Trowp S. B. Gamma G-antibody to human antihemophilic globulin (factor VIII). J. Immunol 100: 175 1968;
- 3 Bidwell E, Denson K. W. E, Dike G. R, Augustin R, Lloyd G. M. Antibody nature of the inhibitor to antihaemophilic globulin (factor VIII). Nature (Lond) 210: 746 1966;
- 4 Bowie F. J. W, Thompson J. H, Pascuzzi G. A, Owen C. A. Thrombosis in systemic lupus erythematosus despite circulating anticoagulants. J. Lab. clin. Med 62: 416 1963;
- 5 Breckenridge R. T, Ratnoff O. D. Studies on the site of action of a circulating anticoagulant in disseminated lupus erythematosus. Amer. J. Med 36: 813 1963;
- 6 Conley G. L, Hartmann R. G. A haemorrhagic disorder caused by circulating anticoagulant inpatients with disseminated lupus erythematosus. J. clin. Invest 31: 621 1952;
- 7 Deutsch E. Die Hemmkörperhämophilie. Springer; Wien: 1950
- 8 Deutsch E. Acquired inhibitors. Thrombos. Diathes. haemorrh Suppl. ad Vol.VII 1962; 112.
- 9 Deutsch E, Lechner K. Circulating anticoagulants. In: Thrombosis in man. Ed. Bang Beller, Deutsch E. Mammen (In press.)
- 10 Frick P. G. Acquired circulating anticoagulants in systemic “collagen disease”. Autoimmune thromboplastin deficiency. Blood 10: 691 1955;
- 11 Goldberg L. S, Barnett E. V. Mixed gG-GM cold agglutinin. J. Immunol 99: 803 1967;
- 12 Harboe M, Van Furth R, Schubothe H, Lind G, Evans R. S. Exclusive occurrence of kappa chains in isolated cold haemagglutinins. Scand. J. Haemat 02: 259 1965;
- 13 Hougie G. Naturally occuring species specific inhibitor of human prothrombin in lupus erythematosus. Proc. Soc. exp. Biol. (N. Y) 116: 359 1964;
- 14 Kunkel H. G, Franklin E. C, Müller-Eberhard H. J. J. clin. Invest 38: 424 1959;
- 15 Lechner K. Immunologisch bedingte Koagulopathien. In: Deutsch E. Immunologische Probleme in der Blutgerinnung. Thrombos. Diathes. haemorrh. (Stuttg.) Suppl 34: 33 1969;
- 16 Lechner K. Unpublished observation.
- 17 Lechner K, Deutsch E. Eine einfache Methode zur Herstellung von menschlichem F-VII-Mangelplasma. Thrombos. Diathes. haemorrh 18: 252 1967;
- 18 Lechner K, Fischer M, Kühböck J, Steffen G, Waldhäusl W. Über einen Hemmkörper der Prothrombinaktivierung. Klin. Wschr. (In press.)
- 19 Loeliger A. Prothrombin as a cofactor of the circulating anticoagulant in systemic lupus erythematosus. Thrombos. Diathes. haemorrh. (Stuttg) 03: 237 1959;
- 20 Lusher J. M, Shuster J, Evans R. K, Poulik M. D. Antibody nature of an AHG (factor VIII) inhibitor. J. Pediatr 72: 325 1968;
- 21 Margolius A, Jackson D. P, Ratnoff O. D. Circulating anticoagulants: A study of 40 cases and a review of the literature. Med 40: 145 1961;
- 22 Perkins H. A, Acra D. J. The circulating anticoagulant in disseminated lupus erythematodes. Thrombos. Diathes. haemorrh. (Stuttg) 05: 250 1961;
- 23 Rapaport S. I, Ames S. B, Duvall B. J. A plasma coagulation defect in systemic lupus erythematosus arising from hypoprothrombinemia combined with antiprothrombinase activity. Blood 15: 212 1960;
- 24 Shapiro S. S. The immunological character of acquired inhibitors of antihemophilic globulin (F VIII) and the kinetics of their interaction with factor VIII. J. clin. Invest 46: 147 1967;
- 25 Steffen G. Allgemeine und experimentelle Immunologie und Immunpathologie. Thieme; 1968: 54.
- 26 Strauss H, Merler E. Characterization and properties of an inhibitor of factor VIII in the plasma of patients with hemophilia following repeated transfusions. Blood 30: 137 1967;
- 27 Yin E. T, Gaston L. W. Purification and kinetic studies on a circulating anticoagulant in a suspected case of lupus erythematosus. Thrombos. Diathes. haemorrh. (Stuttg) 14: 88 1965;