A Simple Technique for the Experimental Production of Acute Platelet Deficiency
10 June 2018 (online)
This report describes a new simple technique for producing acute controlled thrombocytopenia by allowing platelets to adhere to activated carbon granules or glass beads during hemoperfusion of an experimental animal. The level of platelet deficiency produced may be regulated by terminating perfusion when the desired level is reached. Perfusion on consecutive days removes the newly released platelets and restores the thrombocytopenic state.
* Present address: University of California Medical School, San Francisco, California.
** Present address: Department of Pathology, Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda, California.
- 1 Cronkite E. P, Brecher G. Platelet studies in hemorrhagic phase of acute tradiation injury. Fed. Proc 72: 411 1952;
- 2 Woods M. C, Gamble F. N, Furth J, Bigelow R. R. Control of the postirradiation hemorrhage state by platelet transfusion. Blood 08: 545 1953;
- 3 Jackson D. P, Sorenson D. K, Cronkite E. P, Bond V. P, Fliedner T. M. Effectiveness of transfusions of fresh and lyophilized platelets in controlling bleeding due to thrombocytopenia. J. clin. Invest 38: 1689 1959;
- 4 Van Horn D. L, Johnson S. A. The mechanisms of thrombocytopenic bleeding. Amer. J. clin. Path 40: 204 1966;
- 5 de Gabriele G, Penington D. G. Physiology of regulation of platelet production. Brit. J. Haemat 13: 202 1967;
- 6 Odell Jr. T. T, McDonald T. P, Detwiler T. G. Stimulation of platelet production by serum of platelet-depleted rats. Proc. Soc. exp. Biol. (N. Y.) 108: 428 1961;
- 7 Shulman R. N, Marder V. J, Weinach R. S. Similarities between known antiplatelet antibodies and the factor responsible for thrombocytopenia in idiopathic purpura: physiologic, serologic, and isotopic studies. An. N.Y. Academy Sci 124: 499 1965;
- 8 Spector B. In vivo transfer of a thrombopoetic factor. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. (N. Y.) 108: 146 1961;
- 9 Harker L. A. Megakaryocyte alterations in thrombopoiesis. Blood. 28. 1014 1966 Abstract
- 10 Matter M. J, Hartmann J, Kautz Q. B, De Marsh Finch C. A. A study of thrombopoiesis in induced acute thrombocytopenia. Blood 15: 174 1960;
- 11 Craddock C. G, Adams W. S, Perry S, Skogg W. A, Lawrence J. S. Studies of leukopoiesis. The technique of leukopheresis and the response of myeloid tissue in normal and irradiated dogs. J. Lab. clin. Med 45: 881 1955;
- 12 DeMyttenaere J. W, Maher J. F, Schreiner G. E. Hemoperfusion for Glutethimide Poisoning. Trans. ASAIO 13: 190 1967;
- 13 Yatzidis H. A convenient haemoperfusion micro-apparatus over charcoal for the treatment of endogenous and exogenous intoxication. Proc. Eur. Dial and Transplantation Assoc 01: 83 1964;
- 14 Dunea G, Kolff W. J. Clinical experience with the Yatzidis charcoal artificial kidney. Trans. ASAIO 11: 178 1965;
- 15 Epstein R. B, Graham T. C, Buckner C. D, Bryant J, Thomas E. D. Allogeneic marrow engraftment by cross circulation in lethally irradiated dogs. Blood 28: 692 1966;
- 16 Bull B. S, Schneiderman M. A, Brecher G. Platelet counts with the Coulter counter. Amer. J. clin. Path 44: 678 1965;
- 17 Braunwald N. Personal communication
- 18 O’Brien J. R. The adhesiveness of native platelets and its prevention. J. clin. Path 14: 140 1961;