Effect of Inhibitors of Aggregation on Platelet Ultrastructure in Vitro
10 June 2018 (online)
Electron microscopy observations are presented on the effect of inhibitors of aggregation on platelet morphology. Moreover the relationship existing between shape changes produced by inhibitors of platelet aggregation and the mechanism of inhibition has also been studied.
Among the inhibitors, nucleotides were without effect on platelet shape, so that their inhibitory action is likely to be related to competition with ADP.
Marked sphering of platelets with scanty modifications of the inner structure was produced by all other agents. They are thought to be active through a damage to the membrane, which is thus made insensitive to the aggregating agents.
- 1 O’Brien J. R. Comparison of platelet aggregation produced by seven compounds and comparison of their inhibitors. J. clin. Path 17: 275 1964;
- 2 Born G. V. R. Strong inhibition by 2-chloroadenosine of aggregation of blood platelets by adenosine diphosphate. Nature (Lond) 202: 95 1964;
- 3 Born G. V. R, Honour A. J, Mitchell J. R. A. Inhibition by adenosine and 2-chloroadenosine of formation and embolization of platelet thrombi. Nature (Lond) 202: 605 1964;
- 4 Marcus A. J, Zucker M. B. The physiology of blood platelets. 49-53 Grune and Stratton; New York: 1965
- 5 Mannucci P. M, Sharp A. A. Platelet volume and shape in relation to aggregation and adhesion. Brit. J. Haemat 13: 604 1967;
- 6 Schultz H, Jürgens R, Hiepler E. Die Ultrastruktur der Thrombozyten bei der konstitutionellen Thrombopathie (v. Willebrand-Jürgens) mit einem Beitrag zur submikroskopischen Orthologie der Thrombozyten. Thrombos. Diathes. haemorrh. (Stuttg) 02: 300 1958;
- 7 David-Ferreira J. F. The blood platelet : electron microscopic studies. Int. Rev. Cytol 17: 99 1964;
- 8 Born G. V. R. Mechanism of platelet aggregation by ADP and of its inhibition by adenosine derivates. Fed. Proc 26: 115 1967;
- 9 Zucker M. B, Jerushalmy Z. Studies on platelet shape and aggregation: effect of inhibitors on these and other platelet characteristics. In: Physiology of haemostasis and thrombosis. 249 C. C. Thomas Publishers; Springfield, Ill: 1967
- 10 Harrison M. J. G, Emmons P. R, Mitchell J. R. A. The effect of Sulphydryl and Enzyme inhibitors on platelet aggregation “in vitro”. Thrombos. Diathes. haemorrh. (Stuttg) 16: 122 1966;