Fibrinolytic Activity of Cerebro-Spinal Fluid and the Development of Artificial Cerebral Haematomas in Dogs
10 June 2018 (online)
Blood was injected into the brains of dogs to produce artificial haematomas, and paraffin injected to produce intracerebral paraffin masses. Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and peripheral blood samples were withdrawn at regular intervals and their fibrinolytic activities estimated by the fibrin plate method. Trans-form aminomethylcyclohexane-carboxylic acid (t-AMCHA) was administered to some individuals. Genera] relationships were found between changes in CSF fibrinolytic activity, area of tissue damage and survival time. t-AMCHA was clearly beneficial to those animals given a programme of administration. Tissue activator was extracted from the brain tissue after death or sacrifice for haematoma examination. The possible role of tissue activator in relation to haematoma development, and clinical implications of the results, are discussed.
1) Assistant Professor, Department of Physiology.
2) Research Fellow, Department of Surgery.
3) Professor of Physiology, Kobe University.
- 1 Mihara H, Takatama M, Yoshida Y, Mihara H. Studies on variation in plasmin (blood fibrinolysin) activity in cases with cerebral apoplectic disease. Keio J. Med 11: 145-153 1962;
- 2 Okamoto S, Sato S, Takada Y, Okamoto U. An active stereoisomer (trans-form) of AMCHA and its antifibrinolytic (antiplasmic) action in vitro and in vivo. Keio J. Med 13: 177-185 1964;
- 3 Kanaya H, Shirakata S, Kuzu Y, Saotome K, Nomura H, Ono S, Shinmaru S, Mitsuno T. Experimentally produced intracerebral hemorrhage with reference to the clarification of pathophysiology of the acute stage. (In Japanese.) Igaku Kenkyu (Acta medica) 36: 340-344 1966;
- 4 Astrup T, Müllertz S. The fibrin plate method for estimating fibrinolytic activity. Archiv. Biochem 40: 346-351 1952;
- 5 Okamoto U, Oshiba S. Fibrinolysis in health and disease. 389-411 (In Japanese.) Igaku Shoin Ltd; Tokyo, Japan: 1966
- 6 Miura M. Activators and proactivator of the fibrinolytic system in paranasal mucous membrane of man: two forms of activator of plasminogen and proactivator responsible to streptokinase. Kobe J. med. Sei 11: 13-21 1965;
- 7 Sugiyama Y, Okamoto S. Plasminogen activator in the cytoplasmic granules of rat kidneys: Studies on extraction by isotonic and hypertonic salt solutions. Kobe J. med. Sei 10: 257-264 1964;
- 8 Mihara H. Private communication.
- 9 Mihara H. Private communication.