Fibrin Deposition and Growth of Connective Tissue[*]
10 June 2018 (online)
Inhibition of coagulation by the 25-50% ammonium sulfate fraction of lysed fibrinogen or by heparin delays the formation of adhesions between polyvinyl sponges and peritoneum and retards the invasion of the sponges by connective tissue.
* This investigation was supported by a research grant HE-07144-03 from the National Institutes of Health, U. S. Public Health Service.
1) Present address: Department of Pathology, Mt. Carmel Mercy Hospital, 6071 West Outer Drive, Detroit, Michigan.
- 1 Boyd W. A Textbook of Pathology. An Introduction to Medicine. Lea and Febiger; Philadelphia: 1961
- 2 Kwaan H. C, Astrup T. Fibrinolytic activity of reparative connective tissue. J. Path. Bact 87 4: 09 1964;
- 3 DucJcert F, Jung E, Shmerling D. H. A hithero un described congenital haemorrhagic diathesis probably due to fibrin stabilizing factor deficiency. Thrombos. Diathes. haemorrh. (Stuttg) 05: 179 1961;
- 4 Beck E, Duckert F, Vogel A, Ernst M. Der Einfluß des fibrinstabilisierenden Faktors (FSF) anf Funktion und Morphologie von Fibroblasten in Vitro. Z. Zellforsch 57: 327 1962;
- 5 Lehman E. P, Boys F. The prevention of peritoneal adhesions with heparin. An experimental study. Ann. Surg Ill: 427 1940;
- 6 Knightly J. J, Agostino D, Clijfton E. E. The effect of fibrinolysin and heparin on the formation of peritoneal adhesions. Surgery 52: 250 1962;
- 7 Van Breemen G. The Role of Coagulation in the Formation of Peritoneal Ahesions. Master Thesis. University of Alberta: 1962
- 8 Triantaphyllopoulos D. C. Enzymatic effects of fibrinolysin. Fed. Proc 24: 800 1965;
- 9 Soulier J. P. Proteolytic enzyme inhibitors: Their action on blood coagulation and fibrinolysis. MacMillan R. L, Mustard J. F. (editors) International Symposium: Anticoagulants and Fibrinolysins. 409 MacMillan; Toronto: 1961
- 10 Boucek R. L, Noble N. L. Connective tissue: A technique for its isolation and study. Arch. Path 59: 553 1955;
- 11 Dick W, Matis P. Wundheilung und Antikoagulantien. Proc. 8th Congress Europ. Soc. Haemat. Karger: Basel; 1962. part 2, 349.