Platelet Adhesiveness and Fibrinolysis after Recent Cerebro-Vascular Accidents and their Relationship with Subsequent Deep Venous Thrombosis of the Legs
12 December 1975
Accepted 12 April 1976
03 July 2018 (online)
In fifteen patients with a cerebro-vascular accident resulting in an acute hemiplegia there was a subsequent rise in the platelet count and plasma fibrinogen level. There were no significant alterations in platelet adhesiveness, plasminogen activator, plasminogen, FR-antigen and haematocrit. Patients diagnosed as developing deep venous thrombosis with the 125I-fibrinogen technique had a significantly lower platelet adhesiveness and plasminogen level than those who were not.
* Present Address: National Hospitals for Nervous Diseases, Maida Vale Hospital, London, W. 9.
- 1 Becker J. 1972; The relation of platelet adhesiveness to post operative venous thrombosis of the legs. Acta Chirurgica Scandinavica 138: 781.
- 2 Bennett N. B, Ogston C. M, Ogston D. 1967; Studies on the blood fibrinolytic system following acute myocardial infarction. Clinical Science 32: 27.
- 3 Bennett P. N. 1967; Post operative changes in platelet adhesiveness. Journal of Clinical Pathology 20: 708.
- 4 Bonnar J, Davidson J. F, Pidgeon C. F, McNicol G. P, Douglas A. S. 1969; Fibrin degradation products in normal and abnormal pregnancy and parturition. British Medical Journal 3: 137.
- 5 Chakrabarti R, Hocking E. D, Fearnley G. R. 1969; Reaction pattern to three stresses – electroplexy, surgery, and myocardial infarction - of fibrinolysis and plasma fibrinogen. Journal of Clinical Pathology 22: 659.
- 6 Cope C, Reyes T. M, Skiversky N. J. 1973; Phlebographic analysis of the incidence of thrombosis in hemiplegia. Radiology 109: 581.
- 7 Denham M. J, Farran H, James E. 1973; The value of 125I-fibrinogen in the diagnosis of deep venous thrombosis in hemiplegia. Age and Ageing 2: 207.
- 8 Danta G. 1970; Platelet adhesiveness in cerebrovascular disease. Atherosclerosis 11: 223.
- 9 Davidson E, Tomlin S. 1963; The levels of the plasma coagulation factors in the postoperative period. Thrombosis et Diathesis haemorrhagica 10: 81.
- 10 Flute P. T, Kakkar V. V, Renney J. T. G, Nicolaides A. N. 1972. The blood and venous thromboembolism. In: Kakkar V. V, Jouhar A. J. (ed.), Thromboembolism: Diagnosis and Treatment. Churchill Livingstone; Edinburgh and London: 2.
- 11 Fossard D. P, Friend J. R, Fields E. S, Corrigan J. P, Kakkar V. V, Flute P. T. 1974; Fibrinolytic activity and post-operative deep-vein thrombosis. Lancet 1: 9.
- 12 Gallus A. S, Hirsh J, Gent M. 1973; Relevance of pre-operative and post-operative blood tests to post-operative leg-vein thrombosis. Lancet 2: 805.
- 13 Gordon-Smith I. C, Hickman J. A, Le Quesne L. D. 1974; Post-operative fibrinolytic activity and deep vein thrombosis. British Journal of Surgery 61: 213.
- 14 Hamilton P. J, Dawson A. A, Ogston D, Douglas A. S. 1974; The effect of age on the fibrinolytic enzyme system. Journal of Clinical Pathology 27: 326.
- 15 Hobbs J. T, Davies J. W. L. 1960; Detection of venous thrombosis with I131-labelled fibrinogen in the rabbit. Lancet 2: 134.
- 16 Hume R. 1961; The relationship to age and cerebral vascular accidents of fibrin and fibrinolytic activity. Journal of Clinical Pathology 14: 167.
- 17 Kakkar V. V, Nicolaides A. N, Renney J. T. G, Friend J. R, Clarke M. B. 1970; 125I-label-led fibrinogen test adapted for routine screening for deep-vein thrombosis. Lancet 1: 540.
- 18 Korvald E, Abildgaard W, Fagerhol M. K. 1974; Major operations, hemostatic parameters and venous thrombosis. Thrombosis Research 4: 147.
- 19 Mansfield A. O. 1972; Alteration in fibrinolysis associated with surgery and venous thrombosis. British Journal of Surgery 59: 754.
- 20 Merskey C, Kleiner G. J, Johnson A. J. 1966; Quantitative estimation of split products of fibrinogen in human serum, relation to diagnosis and treatment. Blood 28: 1.
- 21 Negus D, Pinto D. J, Brown N. 1969; Platelet adhesiveness in post-operative deep-vein thrombosis. Lancet 1: 220.
- 22 O’Brien J. R, Tulevski V. G, Etherington M, Madgwick T, Alkjaersig N, Fletcher A. 1974; Platelet function studies before and after operation and the effect of post-operative thrombosis. Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine 83: 342.
- 23 Ogston D, Fullerton H. W. 1965; Plasma fibrinolytic activity following recent myocardial and cerebral infarction. Lancet 2: 99.
- 24 Rawles J. M, Ogston D, Douglas A. S. 1973a Studies on the blood fibrinolytic system in congestive cardiac failure. Clinical Science and Molecular Medicine 45: 65.
- 25 Rawles J. M, Ogston D, Douglas A. S. 1973b Haemostatic factors in the diagnosis of thrombosis. Clinics in Haematology 2: 79.
- 26 Rennie A. M, Ogston D, Cooke R. J, Douglas A. S. 1974; The fibrinolytic enzyme system after trauma and in patients with fat embolism. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 56B: 421.
- 27 Ruckley C. V, Das P. C, Leitch A. G, Donaldson A. A, Copland W. A, Redpath A. T, Scott P, Cash J. D. 1970; Serum fibrin/fibrinogen degradation products associated with post-operative pulmonary embolus and venous thrombosis. British Medical Journal 4: 395.
- 28 Simmons A. V, Sheppard M. A, Sibbald R, Tate E, Roberts B. E. 1973; Prognostic value of serum fibrinogen-related antigen levels after myocardial infarction. British Heart Journal 35: 997.
- 29 Warlow C. P, Ogston D, Douglas A. S. 1972; Venous thrombosis following strokes. Lancet 1: 1305.
- 30 Wood E. H, Prentice C. R. M, McNicol G. P. 1972; Association of fibrinogen-fibrin-related antigen (FR-antigen) with post-operative deep-vein thrombosis and systemic complications. Lancet 1: 166.
- 31 Wright H. P. 1941; The adhesiveness of blood platelets in normal subjects with varying concentrations of anticoagulants. Journal of Pathology and Bacteriology 53: 255.
- 32 Wright H. P. 1942; Changes in the adhesiveness of blood platelets following parturition and surgical operations. Journal of Pathology and Bacteriology 54: 461.