Comparison of the Actions of Thrombin and the Thrombin-Like Venom Enzymes Ancrod and Batroxobin
23 February 1976
Accepted 26 February 1976
03 July 2018 (online)
Thrombin acts on several coagulant proteins to produce products with physiologic, pharmacologic and pathologic potential. The most sensitive thrombin substrate seems to be factor VIII. Some thrombin dependent reactions studied in vitro and proposed as control reactions seem too insensitive to the action of thrombin to be of in vivo significance.
The only enzymic reaction the thrombin-like venom enzymes, Ancrod and Batroxobin, have in common with thrombin is the removal of fibrinopeptide A.
- 1 Barlow G. H, Holleman W. H, Lorand L. 1970; The action of Arvin on fibrin stabilizing factor (Factor XIII). Research Communications in Chemical Pathology and Pharmacology 1: 39.
- 2 Bilezikian S. B, Nossel H. L, Butler V. P, Canfield R. E. 1975; Radioimmunoassay of human fibrinopeptide B and kinetics of fibrinopeptide cleavage by different enzymes. Journal of Clincial Investigation 56: 438.
- 3 Blombäck B, Blombäck M, Nilsson I. M. 1957; Coagulation studies on “Reptilase”, an extract of the venom from Bothrops jararaca. Thrombosis et Diathesis Haemorrhagica 1: 76.
- 4 Chan K. E, Rizza C. R, Henderson M. P. 1965; A study of the coagulant properties of Malayan pit-viper venom. British Journal of Haematology 11: 646.
- 5 Chung S. I, Lewis M. S, Folk J. E. 1973; Relationships of the catalytic properties of human plasma and platelet transglutaminases (Activated Blood Coagulation Factor XIII) to their subunit structure. Journal of Biological Chemistry 249: 940.
- 6 Egberg N. 1974; On the metabolism of the thrombin-like enzyme from the venom of Bothrops atrox. Thrombosis Research 4: 35.
- 7 Pitney W. R, Reggoeczi E. 1970; Inactivation of Arvin by plasma proteins. British Journal of Haematology 19: 67.
- 8 Hjort P. F. 1957; Intermediate reactions in the coagulation of blood with tissue thromboplastin, convertin, accelerin, prothrombinase. Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation 9 (Suppl. 27) 113.
- 9 Kisker C. T. 1967; Effects of Thrombin on Factor VIII activitiy: Stabilization of Factor VIII by Glycine Ethyl Ester. Thrombosis et Diathesis Haemorrhagica 18: 381.
- 10 Lanchantin G. F, Friedmann J. A, Hart D. W. 1968; On the occurrence of polymorphic human prothrombin. Journal of Biological Chemistry 243: 476.
- 11 Legaz M. E, Weinstein M. J, Heldebrant C. M, Davie E. W. 1975; Isolation, subunit structure and proteolytic modification of bovine Factor VIII. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 240: 43.
- 12 Macfarlane R. G, Biggs R. 1953; A thrombin generation test. Journal of Clinical Pathology 6: 3.
- 13 McDonagh J, McDonagh R. P. 1975; Alternate Pathways for the activation of Factor XIII. British Journal of Haematology 30: 465.
- 14 McKee P. A, Andersen J. C, Switzer M. E. 1975; Molecular Structural Studies of Human Factor VIII. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 240: 8.
- 15 Muenzer J, Weinback E. C, Wolfe S. M. 1975; Oxygen consumption of human blood platelets I. Effect of thrombin. Biochemica et Biophysica Acta 376: 237.
- 16 Murer E. H, Holme R. 1970; A study of the release of calcium from human blood platelets and its inhibition by metabolic inhibitors N-ethylmaleimide and Aspirin. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 222: 197.
- 17 Osbahr A. S. 1974; The Hemostatic Effect of Bovine Peptide-B from Fibrinogen. Thrombosis et Diathesis Haemorrhagica 32: 149.
- 18 Osbahr A. J, Colman R. W. 1974; Structure Activity Relationships of the Peptides Released from Canine Fibrinogen by Thrombin. Biochimia et Biophysica Acta 336: 273.
- 19 Pizzo S. V, Schwartz M. L, Hill R. L, McKee P. A. 1972; Mechanism of Ancrod Anticoagulation: A direct proteolytic effect on fibrin. Journal of Clinical Investigation 51: 2841.
- 20 Rapaport S.L, Schiffman S, Patch M. J, Ames S. B. 1963; The importance of activation of antihemophilic globulin and proaccelerin by traces of thrombin in the generation of intrinsic prothrombinase activity. Blood 21: 221.
- 21 Silverberg S. A, Nemerson Y. 1975 The control of prothrombin conversion. Kinetic control by mechanisms inherent in two activation pathways. Journal of Biological Chemistry..
- 22 Stocker K. F, Barlow G. H. 1975; Characterization of Delíbrase. Aktuelle Probleme in der Angiologie 26: 45.
- 23 Tyler H. M. 1970; Studies on the activation of purified human factor XIII. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 222: 396.