Outcomes of Facial Nerve in Lateral and Inferior Mastoid Approaches for Jugular Foramen and Petrous Apex Lesions
Received: 29 October 2016
Accepted: 03 July 2017
10 April 2018 (eFirst)
Objectives To evaluate the facial nerve in inferior and lateral (transmastoid) approaches to the jugular foramen and/or petrous apex.
Design Retrospective study of 11 consecutive patients operated for lesions in the jugular foramen/petrous apex via an inferior or lateral transpetrosal approach.
Setting Tertiary care superspecialty referral center.
Participants Eleven consecutive patients of jugular foramen/petrous apex lesions operated over a period of 18 months.
Main Outcomes Measures Extent of tumor resection, surgical technique used, and recovery of facial nerve function postoperatively.
Conclusion Approach to these lesions needs to be tailored to the extent of disease, possible histology and relation to the facial nerve. Meticulous surgery and adequate postoperative care permit a satisfactory recovery of facial nerve function following rerouting procedures.
- 1 Bacciu A, Ait MimouneH, D'Orazio F, Vitullo F, Russo A, Sanna M. Management of facial nerve in surgical treatment of previously untreated Fisch class C tympanojugular paragangliomas: long-term results. J Neurol Surg B Skull Base 2014; 75 (01) 1-7
- 2 Inserra MM, Pfister M, Jackler RK. Anatomy involved in the jugular foramen approach for jugulotympanic paraganglioma resection. Neurosurg Focus 2004; 17 (02) E6
- 3 House JW, Brackmann DE. Facial nerve grading system. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1985; 93 (02) 146-147
- 4 Fisch U. Infratemporal fossa approach to tumours of the temporal bone and base of the skull. J Laryngol Otol 1978; 92 (11) 949-967
- 5 Russo A, Piccirillo E, De Donato G, Agarwal M, Sanna M. Anterior and posterior facial nerve rerouting: a comparative study. Skull Base 2003; 13 (03) 123-130
- 6 Borba LA, Ale-Bark S, London C. Surgical treatment of glomus jugulare tumors without rerouting of the facial nerve: an infralabyrinthine approach. Neurosurg Focus 2004; 17 (02) E8
- 7 Llorente JL, Obeso S, López F, Rial JC, Coca A, Suárez C. Comparative results of infratemporal fossa approach with or without facial nerve rerouting in jugular fossa tumors. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2014; 271 (04) 809-815
- 8 Von Doersten PG, Jackler RK. Anterior facial nerve rerouting in cranial base surgery: a comparison of three techniques. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1996; 115 (01) 82-88
- 9 Odat H, Shin SH, Odat MA, Alzoubi F. Facial nerve management in jugular paraganglioma surgery: a literature review. J Laryngol Otol 2016; 130 (03) 219-224