Malign Differentiation of a Large Buschke Loewenstein Tumor in Penis
06 September 2017
14 February 2018
28 March 2018 (online)
Buschke–Loewenstein tumor (BLT) is a giant condyloma acuminatum which is very rare and commonly affects the anogenital region. The malignant transformation and localization in penis is very rare. This article aims to present a case with BLT with malignant transformation in penis.
A 59-year-old male patient was referred, who has have been suffering from a cauliflower-like lesion in the penis for 8 years. Biopsies revealed a BLT with malignant transformation. The lesion was excised largely and reconstructed with local flaps and skin grafts.
Defined by Buschke and Loewenstein in 1925, giant condyloma acuminatum is a rare and important disorder because of the sexually transmitting capability.
- 1 Spinu D, Rădulescu A, Bratu O, Checheriţă IA, Ranetti AE, Mischianu D. Giant condyloma acuminatum - Buschke-Lowenstein disease - a literature review. Chirurgia (Bucur) 2014; 109 (04) 445-450
- 2 Agarwal S, Nirwal GK, Singh H. Buschke-Lowenstein tumour of glans penis. Int J Surg Case Rep 2014; 5 (05) 215-218
- 3 Indinnimeo M, Impagnatiello A, D'Ettorre G. , et al. Buschke-Löwenstein tumor with squamous cell carcinoma treated with chemo-radiation therapy and local surgical excision: report of three cases. World J Surg Oncol 2013; 11: 231
- 4 Sandhu R, Min Z, Bhanot N. A gigantic anogenital lesion: Buschke-Lowenstein tumor. Case Rep Dermatol Med 2014; 2014: 650714
- 5 Frega A, Stentella P, Tinari A, Vecchione A, Marchionni M. Giant condyloma acuminatum or Buschke-Lowenstein tumor: review of the literature and report of three cases treated by CO2 laser surgery. A long-term follow-up. Anticancer Res 2002; 22 (2B): 1201-1204
- 6 Buschke A, Löwstein L. Uber carcinomahnliche condylomata acuminata des penis. Klin Wochenschr 1925; 4: 1726-1728
- 7 Safi F, Bekdache O, Al-Salam S, Alashari M, Mazen T, El-Salhat H. Management of peri-anal giant condyloma acuminatum--a case report and literature review. Asian J Surg 2013; 36 (01) 43-52
- 8 Handisurya A, Rieger A, Bago-Horvath Z. , et al. Rapid progression of an anal Buschke-Lowenstein tumour into a metastasising squamous cell carcinoma in an HIV-infected patient. Sex Transm Infect 2009; 85 (04) 261-263
- 9 Björck M, Athlin L, Lundskog B. Giant condyloma acuminatum (Buschke-Loewenstein tumour) of the anorectum with malignant transformation. Eur J Surg 1995; 161 (09) 691-694