Subscribe to RSS
The Use of High-Speed Videography to Generate Angle-Time and Angle-Angle Diagrams for the Study of Equine Locomotion
Received for publication
21 November 1990
06 February 2018 (online)
High-speed videography was used to generate angle-time and angle-angle diagrams to provide the basis for a better subjective and objective understanding of the locomotor function of the horse. Intra- and interlimb coordination patterns were analyzed in a group of ten clinically sound racing Thoroughbreds. For lateral video recording, reflective markers were glued over the axis of rotation of the fore- and hindlimb joints of the ten horses. All horses were filmed simultaneously from both sides (right and left). Means and standard deviations were calculated for the minimum, the maximum and the range of motion values for the angle excursions of each joint. Angle-time and angle-angle diagrams were highly repeatable over the eight to nine strides videotaped for each horse and showed a very characteristic shape with minor variations between individual horses. When comparing right versus left sides, horses exhibited varying levels of significant asymmetry.
- 1 Charteris J, Leach DH, Taves C. Comparative kinematic analysis of bipedal and quadrupedal locomotion: A cyclographic technique. J Anat 1979; 128 (04) 803-19..
- 2 Fleiss O, Edl M, Schubert P. Intra- und Interlimbkoordination bei verschiedenen Ganggeschwindigkeiten des Pferdes. In: International Conference on Orthopaedics in Ungulates. Vienna. Hannover: Schlütersche Verlagsanstalt und Druckerei; 1985: 116-28.
- 3 Kobluk CN. A modified method of computer analyzed high-speed cinematography for the study of equine hindlimb kinematics. DVSc Thesis University of Guelph; Ontario, Canada: 1986
- 4 Fredricson I, Drevemo S. A new method of investigating equine locomotion. Equine Vet J 1971; 3: 137-40..
- 5 Fredricson I. Equine joint kinematics and coordination. Thesis Stockholm University; Stockholm, Sweden: 1972
- 6 Fredricson I, Drevemo S, Dalin G, Hjerten G, Bjorne K. The application of high-speed cinematography for the quantitative analysis of equine locomotion. Equine Vet J 1980; 12: 54-9..
- 7 Crawford WH, Leach DH. The effect of racetrack design on gait symmetry of the pacer. Can J Comp Med 1984; 48: 374-80..
- 8 Ratzlaff MH. Current methods for the analysis of locomotion and their potential clinical applications. In: Proc 34th Ann Conv Am Assoc Equine Pract. 1988: 183-98.
- 9 Shapiro R, Blow Ch, Rash G. Video digitizing analysis system. International Journal of Sports Biomechanics 1987; 3: 80-6..
- 10 Kobluk CN, Martinez-del Campo LJ, Harvey-Fulton K, Libbey Ch, Walton J. A kinematic investigation of the effect of a cohesive elastic bandage on the gait of the exercising Thoroughbred racehorse. In: Proc 34th Ann Conv Am Assoc Equine Pract. 1988: 135-48.
- 11 Dalin G, Jeffcott LB. Locomotion and gait analysis symposium on exercise physiology. Vet Clin North Am 1985; 1: 549-72..
- 12 Leach DH, Dyson S. Evaluation of instant centers of rotation of equine limb joints and their relationship to standard skin marker locations used in locomotion and conformation analysis. Equine Vet J 1988; (Suppl. 06) 113-9..
- 13 Kobluk CN, Schnurr D, Horney FD, Sumner-Smith G, Willoughby RA, Dekleer V, Hearn TC. Use of high-speed cinematography and computer generated gait diagrams for the study of equine hindlimb kinematics. Equine Vet J 1989; 21: 48-58..
- 14 Hershler C, Milner M. Angle-angle diagrams in the assessment of locomotion. Am J Phys Med 1980; 59: 109-25..
- 15 Drevemo S, Dalin G, Fredricson I, Hjerten G. Equine locomotion. The analysis of linear and temporal stride characteristics of trotting standardbreds. Equine Vet J 1980; 12: 60-5..
- 16 Fredricson I, Drevemo S, Dalin G, Hjerten G, Bjorne K, Rynde R. Treadmill for equine locomotion analysis. Equine Vet J 1983; 15: 111-5..
- 17 Drevemo S, Fredricson I, Hjerten G, McMiken D. Early development of gait asymmetries in trotting standardbred colts. Equine Vet J 1987; 19: 189.
- 18 Weeren PR van, Barneveld A. A technique to quantify skin displacement in the walking horse. J Biomechanics 1986; 19: 879-83..
- 19 Weeren PR van, Bogert AJ van den, Barneveld A. Quantification of skin displacement near the carpal, tarsal and fetlock joints of the walking horse. Equine Vet J 1988; 20: 203-8..
- 20 Bogert AJ van den, Weeren PR van, Schamhardt HC. Correction for skin displacement errors in movement analysis of the horse. J Biomechanics 1990; 23: 97-101..
- 21 Drevemo S, Fredricson I, Dalin G, Bjorne K. Equine locomotion. The analysis of coordination between limbs of trotting standardbreds. Equine Vet J 1980; 12: 66-70..
- 22 Charteris J. Human gait cyclograms: conventions, speed relationships and clinical applications. Int J Rehab Research 1982; 4: 507-18..
- 23 Milner M, Dall D. Angle diagrams in the clinical assessment of locomotor function: preoperative data on patients requiring total hip reconstruction. In: Proceedings of the 26th ACEMB. Minneapolis: 1973: 48.