Subscribe to RSS
Breed, Gender, and Age as Risk Factors for Canine Osteochondritis Dissecans
Received for publication
20 December 1990
06 February 2018 (online)
A retrospective case-control study of canine osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) was conducted using the hospital records at the New York State College of Veterinary Medicine between January 1980 and December 1987 and at the Ontario Veterinary College between January 1983 and June 1988. Information was collected on 208 cases and 416 controls. Breed, gender, and age (at onset of clinical signs and at diagnosis) were evaluated as risk factors for OCD of the shoulder, elbow, stifle, and hock using logistic regression. A distinct pattern of risk for large and giant breeds and certain ages emerged from the analysis for each joint. Males were more commonly affected than females only for the shoulder joint.
- 1 Olsson S-E, Reiland S. The nature of osteochondrosis in animals. Summary and conclusions with comparative aspects on osteochondritis dissecans in man. Acta Radiol Scand Suppl 1978; 358: 299-306..
- 2 Olsson S-E. Osteochondrosis – a growing problem to dog breeders. Gaines Progress Summer 1976; 1-11..
- 3 Clayton Jones DG, Vaughan LC. The surgical treatment of osteochondritis dissecans of the humeral head in dogs. J Small Anim Pract 1970; 11: 803-12..
- 4 Berzon JL. Diagnosis and surgical management of osteochondritis dissecans of the elbow joint. Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet 1983; 5: 285-8..
- 5 Johnson KA, Howlett CR, Pettit GD. Osteochondrosis in the hock joints in dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1980; 16: 103-13..
- 6 Smith CW, Stowater JL. Osteochondritis dissecans of the canine shoulder joint: a review of 35 cases. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1975; 11: 658-62..
- 7 Boudrieau RJ, Hohn RB, Bardet JF. Osteochondritis dissecans of the elbow in the dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1983; 19: 627-35..
- 8 Olsson S-E. The early diagnosis of fragmented coronoid process and osteochondritis dissecans of the canine elbow joint. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1983; 19: 616-26..
- 9 Schlesselman JJ. Case-control studies: design, conduct and analysis. New York: Oxford University Press; 1982
- 10 de Lahunta D, Habel RE. Applied Veterinary Anatomy. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders Co.; 1986: 83.
- 11 Alexander JW, Richardson DC, Selcer BA. Osteochondritis dissecans of the elbow, stifle, and hock – a review. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1981; 17: 51-6..
- 12 Milton JL. Osteochondritis dissecans in the dog. Vet Clin North Am [Small Anim Pract] 1983; 13 (01) 117-34..
- 13 Lenehan TM, Van Sickle DC. Canine osteochondrosis. In: Newton CD, Nunamaker DM. (eds). Textbook of small animal orthopaedics. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott Co.; 1985: 981-97.
- 14 Whitehair JG, Rudd RG. Osteochondritis dissecans of the humeral head in dogs. Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet 1990; 12 (02) 195-203..
- 15 Mason TA, Lavelle RB, Skipper SC, Wrigley WR. Osteochondrosis of the elbow joint in young dogs. J Small Anim Pract 1980; 21: 641-56..
- 16 Montgomery RD, Henderson RA, Milton JL, Hathcock JT. Osteochondritis dissecans of the canine stifle. Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet 1989; 11 (10) 1199-205..
- 17 Breur GJ, Spaulding KA, Braden TD. Osteochondritis dissecans of the medial trochlear ridge of the talus in the dog. Vet Comp Orthop Traum 1989; 4: 168-76..
- 18 Poulos PW. Canine osteochondrosis. Vet Clin North Am [Small Anim Pract] 1982; 12 (02) 313-28..