Subscribe to RSS
Stack Pinning of Long Bone Fractures: A Retrospective Study
Received for publication
12 August 1990
06 February 2018 (online)
Long bone fractures in 20 dogs and five cats were repaired using a stack pinning (multiple intramedullary pins) technique. These cases were evaluated with long-term radiographic and physical examination. Factors including fracture location, age of animal, fracture reduction, and percent of medullary cavity filled by intramedullary pins were noted to assess their effect on postoperative complications. Specifically, distal long bone fractures had a greater tendency to develop complications than did mid-shaft or proximal fractures (p = 0.10). Other factors were not found to significantly increase the potential for fracture related complications. The overall complication rate associated with this method of fracture repair was greater than 50%. External fixators or plates were judged necessary to improve fracture stability at initial or subsequent operations in 44% of cases. Stack pinning was found to be an unreliable method of repair for long bone fractures in this clinical study.
- 1 Ehmer EA. Bone Pinning in Fractures of Small Animals. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1947; 110: 14-9..
- 2 Rudy RL. Principles of Intramedullary Pinning. Vet Clin North Am 1975; 5 (02) 209-28..
- 3 Chaffee VW. Multiple (Stacked) Intramedullary Pin Fixation of Humeral and Femoral Fractures. J Am An Hosp Assn 1977; 13: 599-601..
- 4 Kagan KG. Multiple intramedullary pin fixation of the femur of dogs and cats. J Am Vet med Assoc 1983; 182 (11) 1251-5..
- 5 Matthiesen DT. Multiple Intramedullary Wire Fixation of a Radial Fracture in a Dog. Vet Surg 1984; 13 (03) 197-200..
- 6 Vasseur PB, Paul HA, Crumley L. Evaluation of fixation devices for prevention of rotation in transverse fractures of the canine femoral shaft: an in vitro study. Am J Vet Res 1984; 45 (08) 1504-7..
- 7 Chaffee VW. Stack-pin technique in the humerus and femur. In: Current Techniques in Small Animal Surgery. Bojrab MJ. (ed). Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger; 1983: 734-7.
- 8 Nunamaker David. Methods of internal fixation. In: Textbook of Small Animal Orthopaedics. Newton C, Nunamaker DA. (eds). Philadelphia: JB Lippincott Co; 1985: 264-5.
- 9 DeYoung DJ, Probst CW. Methods of internal fracture fixation. In: Textbook of Small Animal Surgery. Slatter DH. (ed). Philadelphia: WB Saunders Co.; 1985: 1954-7.
- 10 Dallman MJ, Martin RA, Self BP, Grant JW. Rotational strength of double pinning techniques in repair of transverse fractures of femurs in dogs. Am J Vet Res 1990; 51 (01) 123-7..
- 11 Rhinelander FW, Wilson JW. Blood supply to developing, mature, and healing bone. In: Bone in Clinical Orthopedics. Sumner-Smith G. (ed). Philadelphia: WB Saunders Co; 1982: 118-32.