A Case of Degenerative Myopathy of the Obturator Externus Muscle in a Dog
Received for publication:
14 July 1992
06 February 2018 (online)
A Dobermann with lameness in one hindleg and swelling of soft tissues between trochanter major and tuber ischium was diagnosed to have degenerative myopathy of the obturator externus muscle. The diagnosis was based on magnetic resonance and biopsies. The dog recovered without treatment.
- 1 Abragam A. The principles of Nuclear Magnetism. London: Oxford University Press; 1983
- 2 Ackcrman LV. Extra-osseous localized non-neoplastic bone and cartilage formation (so-called myositis ossificans). J Bone Joint Surg 1958; 40A: 279-97.
- 3 Aron DN, Rowland GN, Barber DL. Report of an unusual case of ectopic ossification and review of the literature. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1985; 21: 819-29.
- 4 Bone DL, McGavin MD. Myositis ossificans in the dog: a case report and review. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1985; 21: 135-8.
- 5 Budingcr TF. Nuclear magnetic resonance technology for medical studies. Science 1984; 226: 288-98.
- 6 Green RA. Bleeding disorders. In: Diseases of the Blood Cells, Lymph Nodes and Spleen. MacLean K, Scott G. (ed). Philadelphia: Saunders; 1969: 2076-98.
- 7 Kramer OL. Basic principles of magnetic resonance imaging. Radiol Clin North Am 1984; 22: 765-78.
- 8 Kransdorf MJ, Meiss JM, Jelinek JS. Myositis ossificans: MR appearance with radiologic-pathologic correlation. Am J Radiol 1991; 157: 1243-9.
- 9 Layton CE, Ferguson HR. Lameness associated with coxofemoral soft tissue masses in six dogs. Vet Surg 1987; 16: 21-4.
- 10 Liu SK, Dorfman HD. A condition resembling human localized myositis ossificans in two dogs. J Small Anim Pract 1976; 17: 371-7.
- 11 Mullcr E, Christensen GL, Evans HE. Anatomy of the Dog. Philadelphia: Saunders; 1967
- 12 Ogilvie-Harris DJ, Hons ChB, Fornasier VL. Pscudomalignant myositis ossificans: heterotopic new-bone formation without a history of trauma. J Bone Joint Surg 1980; 62A: 1274-83.
- 13 Pollock S, Franklin GA, Wagner BM. Clinical significance of trauma, myositis ossifi-cans, and malignant mesenchymoma in the dog: report of an unusual case. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1978; 14: 237-42.
- 14 Pykett L. Principles of nuclear magnetic resonance imaging. Radiology 1982; 143: 157-68.
- 15 Spencer JD, Misscn GAK. Pscudomalignant heterotopic ossification (“myositis ossificans”). Recurrence after excision with subsequent resorption. J Bone Joint Surg 1989; 71: 317-20.