A Review of 30 Tumours Affecting Joints
Received for publication 19 August 1996
10 February 2018 (online)
The records and radiographs of 30 dogs with histopathologically confirmed tumours affecting joints were reviewed. The previously most commonly reported primary joint tumour, the synovial sarcoma, only represented eight of the 30 cases (27%). However, the radiological appearance of this tumour was very similar to others such as the fibrosarcoma, rhabdomyosarcoma, fibromyxosarcoma, malignant fibrous histiocytoma, liposarcoma and undifferentiated sarcoma. Other tumours recorded were a mast cell tumour, haemangiopericytoma, osteosarcoma, squamous cell carcinoma and amelanotic melanoma.
This study shows that there are joint tumours that have a similar radiographic appearance to synovial sarcomata, and confirms the importance of histopathological diagnosis.
This study shows that there are a number of different joint tumours which radiologically resemble synovial sarcoma, and underlines the importance of accurate histopathological diagnosis.
- 1 Bellah JR, Patton CS. Non weight-bearing lameness secondary to synovial sarcoma in a young dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1986; 188 7: 730-2.
- 2 Cadman NL, Soule EH, Kelly PJ. Synovial sarcoma, an Analysis of 134 Tumours. Cancer 1965; 18 5 613-27.
- 3 Craig RM, Pugh DG, Soule EH. The Roentgenologic Manifestations of Synovial Sarcoma. Radiology 1955; 65 6: 837-45.
- 4 Frazier KS, Herron AJ, Dee JF, Altman NH. Infiltrative lipoma in a canine stifle joint. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1993; 29: 81-3.
- 5 Haagensen CD, Stout AP. Synovial sarcoma. Ann Surg 1944; 120 6: 825-42.
- 6 Knecht CD, Priester WA. Clinical Report. Musculoskeletal tumours in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1978; 172: 72-4.
- 7 Lipowitz AJ, Fetter AW, Walker MD. Synovial sarcoma of the dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1979; 174 1 76-81.
- 8 McGlennon NJ, Houlton JEF, Gorman NT. Synovial sarcoma in the dog - a review. J Small Anim Pract 1988; 29: 139-52.
- 9 Madewell BR, Pool RR. Neoplasms of joints and related structures. V Clin N Am 1978; 8 3 511-21.
- 10 Murray JA. Synovial sarcoma. Orthop Clin N Amer 1977; 8 4 963-72.
- 11 Palmer N. Diseases of Joints. In: Pathology of Domestic Animals vol 1. (fourth ed). Jubb, Kennedy and Palmer (eds). San Diego: Academic Press; 1985: 138-81.
- 12 Pool RR. Tumours and tumour-like lesions of joints and adjacent soft tissues. In: Tumours in Domestic Animals (third edition). Moulton JE. (ed). University of California Press: Berkeley; 1990: 102-56.
- 13 Tillotson JF, McDonald JR, Janes JM. Synovial sarcomata. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 1951; 33 A: 459-73.
- 14 Wright PH, Sim FH, Soule EH, Taylor WF. Synovial sarcoma. J Bone Joint Surgery 1982; 64 A (01) 112-22.
- 15 Jones BC, Sundaram M, Kransdorf MJ. Synovial sarcoma: MR imaging findings in 34 patients. Am J Roentgenology 1993; 161 4 827-30.
- 16 Menendez LR, Brien E, Brien WW. Synovial sarcoma. A clinicopathological study. Orthop Rev 1992; 21 4 465-71.