Subscribe to RSS
Dysautonomias in amyloidosisNeed for an interdisciplinary approach Article in several languages: English | deutsch
26 October 2012
angenommen am: 29 October 2012
24 January 2018 (online)
Systemic amyloidosis is a life-threatening and frequently unrecognized cause of dysautonomia. Autonomic neuropathy is a common manifestation of AL amyloidosis (caused by deposition of an immunoglobulin free light chain produced by an underlying plasma cell clone) and of autosomal dominant hereditary ATTR amyloidosis (caused by a transthyretin mutation). The following review aims to alert clinicians to look out for signs and symptoms of amyloidosis to enable the bioptic diagnosis at an early stage. Suspicion of systemic amyloidosis is usually raised by the systemic, multi-organ character of the disease. An interdisciplinary approach is needed in the individual patient in order to establish the diagnosis and to obtain a clear overview of the actual multitude of organ problems. This overview is necessary for risk management and for making a well-considered treatment choice. Collaboration of all medical specialists involved is necessary to deliver optimal treatment and care to the patient with this systemic disease.
- 1 Falk RH, Comenzo RL, Skinner M. The systemic amyloidoses. N Engl J Med 1997; 337: 898-909.
- 2 Sipe JD, Benson MD, Buxbaum JN. et al. Amyloid fibril protein nomenclature: 2010 recommendations from the nomenclature committee of the International Society of Amyloidosis. Amyloid 2010; 17: 101-4.
- 3 Merlini G, Bellotti V. Molecular mechanisms of amyloidosis. N Engl J Med 2003; 349: 583-96.
- 4 Kebbel A, Rocken C. Immunohistochemical classification of amyloid in surgical pathology revisited. Am J Surg Pathol 2006; 30: 673-83.
- 5 Lachmann HJ, Booth DR, Booth SE. et al. Misdiagnosis of hereditary amyloidosis as AL (primary) amyloidosis. N Engl J Med 2002; 346: 1786-91.
- 6 Murphy CL, Wang S, Williams T, Weiss DT, Solomon A. Characterization of systemic amyloid deposits by mass spectrometry. Methods Enzymol 2006; 412: 48-62.
- 7 Lavatelli F, Perlman DH, Spencer B. et al. Amyloidogenic and associated proteins in systemic amyloidosis proteome of adipose tissue. Mol Cell Proteomics 2008; 07: 1570-83.
- 8 Vrana JA, Gamez JD, Madden BJ, Theis JD, Bergen HR, Dogan A. Classification of amyloidosis by laser microdissection and mass spectrometrybased proteomic analysis in clinical biopsy specimens. Blood 2009; 114: 4957-9.
- 9 Dispenzieri A, Gertz MA, Kyle RA. et al. Serum cardiac troponins and N-teminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide: a staging system for primary systemic amyloidosis. J Clin Oncol 2004; 22: 3751-7.
- 10 Reyners AK, Hazenberg BP, Haagsma EB, Tio RA, Reitsma WD, Smit AJ. The assessment of autonomic function in patients with systemic amyloidosis: methodological considerations. Amyloid Int J Exp Clin Invest 1998; 05: 193-9.
- 11 Reyners AK, Hazenberg BP, Reitsma WD, Smit AJ. Heart rate variability as a predictor of mortality in patients with AA and AL amyloidosis. Eur Heart J 2002; 23: 157-61.
- 12 Noordzij W, Glaudemans AW, van Rheenen RW. et al. Iodine-123 labelled metaiodobenzylguanidine for the evaluation of cardiac sympathetic denervation in early stage amyloidosis. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2012; 39 (12) 1910-9.
- 13 Gertz MA, Comenzo R, Falk RH. et al. Definition of organ involvement and treatment response in immunoglobulin light chain amyloidosis (AL): a consensus opinion from the 10th International Symposium on Amyloid and Amyloidosis, Tours, France, 18–22 April 2004. Am J Med 2005; 79: 319-28.
- 14 Lachmann HJ, Goodman HJ, Gilbertson JA. et al. Natural history and outcome in systemic AA amyloidosis. N Engl J Med 2007; 356: 2361-71.
- 15 Gertz MA, Lacy MQ, Dispenzieri A. et al. Effect of haematological response on outcome of patients undergoing transplantation for primary amyloidosis: importance of achieving a complete response. Haematologica 2007; 92: 1415-8.
- 16 Wilczek HE, Larsson M, Ericzon BG. FAPWTR. Long-term data from the Familial Amyloidotic Polyneuropathy World Transplant Registry (FAPWTR). Amyloid 2011; 18 Suppl (Suppl. 01) 193-5.
- 17 Hammarstrom P, Wiseman RL, Powers ET, Kelly JW. Prevention of transthyretin amyloid disease by changing protein misfolding energetics. Science 2003; 299: 713-7.
- 18 Cardoso I, Martins D, Ribeiro T, Merlini G, Saraiva MJ. Synergy of combined doxycycline/TUDCA treatment in lowering Transthyretin deposition and associated biomarkers: studies in FAP mouse models. J Transl Med 2010; 08: 74.
- 19 Dember LM, Hawkins PN, Hazenberg BP. et al. Eprodisate for the treatment of AA amyloidosis. N Engl J Med 2007; 356: 2349-60.
- 20 Inoue S, Hultin PG, Szarek WA, Kisilevsky R. Effect of poly(vinylsulfonate) on murine AA amyloid: a high-resolution ultrastructural study. Lab Invest 1996; 74: 1081-90.
- 21 Pepys MB, Herbert J, Hutchingson WL. et al. Targeted pharmacological depletion of serum amyloid P component for treatment of human amyloidosis. Nature 2002; 417: 254-9.
- 22 Gillmore JD, Tennent GA, Hutchinson WL. et al. Sustained pharmacological depletion of serum amyloid P component in patients with systemic amyloidosis. Br J Haematol 2010; 148: 760-7.
- 23 Hrncic R, Wall J, Wolfenbarger DA. et al. Antibody-mediated resolution of light chain-associated amyloid deposits. Am J Pathol 2000; 157: 1239-46.
- 24 Bodin K, Ellmerich S, Kahan MC. et al. Antibodies to human serum amyloid P component eliminate visceral amyloid deposits. Nature 2010; 468: 93-7.