Locking Dorsal Plate in Four-Bone Arthrodesis in SLAC and SNAC 3 Wrist
02 July 2017
02 January 2018
12 February 2018 (eFirst)
Purpose The aim of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness and the safety of performing a four-bone arthrodesis (FBA) with dorsal locking plate in patients suffering from stage III scapholunate advanced collapse/scaphoid nonunion advance collapse (SLAC/SNAC) wrist.
Methods We evaluated retrospectively 20 patients surgically treated by a FBA with the use of locking dorsal plate. All the patients were clinically evaluated at follow-up for grip strength, range of motion, and pain (visual analog scale), and with the Disability of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand score and the Mayo wrist score. Imaging evaluation was performed on standard X-rays.
Results The mean follow-up was 6 years (range: 1–11 years). During follow-up, the patients showed good clinical outcomes in terms of pain relief and grip strength. Revision surgery was necessary only in one case because of screws loosening. In all cases, a solid bone fusion was achieved except in one patient, who presented a healing of lunocapitate joint. This condition did not affect the clinical outcomes.
Conclusion FBA performed using a dorsal locking plate is a salvage procedure effective in treating stage III SLAC/SNAC wrist. In our study, this technique provided good clinical outcomes at mid-term follow-up with a very low complication rate.
Level of Evidence Level IV, therapeutic case series.
- 1 Watson HK, Ballet FL. The SLAC wrist: scapholunate advanced collapse pattern of degenerative arthritis. J Hand Surg Am 1984; 9 (03) 358-365
- 2 Weiss KE, Rodner CM. Osteoarthritis of the wrist. J Hand Surg Am 2007; 32 (05) 725-746
- 3 Linscheid RL, Dobyns JH. Treatment of scapholunate dissociation. Rotatory subluxation of the scaphoid. Hand Clin 1992; 8 (04) 645-652
- 4 Garcia-Elias M, Lluch AL, Stanley JK. Three-ligament tenodesis for the treatment of scapholunate dissociation: indications and surgical technique. J Hand Surg Am 2006; 31 (01) 125-134
- 5 Brunelli GA, Brunelli GA. [Carpal instability with scapho-lunate dissociation treated using the flexor carpi radialis and scaphoid-trapezoid ligament repair: foundations, technique and results of preliminary series]. Rev Chir Orthop Repar Appar Mot 2003; 89 (02) 152-157
- 6 De Smet L, Deprez P, Duerinckx J, Degreef I. Outcome of four-corner arthrodesis for advanced carpal collapse: circular plate versus traditional techniques. Acta Orthop Belg 2009; 75 (03) 323-327
- 7 Cohen MS, Kozin SH. Degenerative arthritis of the wrist: proximal row carpectomy versus scaphoid excision and four-corner arthrodesis. J Hand Surg Am 2001; 26 (01) 94-104
- 8 Vanhove W, De Vil J, Van Seymortier P, Boone B, Verdonk R. Proximal row carpectomy versus four-corner arthrodesis as a treatment for SLAC (scapholunate advanced collapse) wrist. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2008; 33 (02) 118-125
- 9 Dacho AK, Baumeister S, Germann G, Sauerbier M. Comparison of proximal row carpectomy and midcarpal arthrodesis for the treatment of scaphoid nonunion advanced collapse (SNAC-wrist) and scapholunate advanced collapse (SLAC-wrist) in stage II. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2008; 61 (10) 1210-1218
- 10 Mulford JS, Ceulemans LJ, Nam D, Axelrod TS. Proximal row carpectomy vs four corner fusion for scapholunate (Slac) or scaphoid nonunion advanced collapse (Snac) wrists: a systematic review of outcomes. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2009; 34 (02) 256-263
- 11 Kiefhaber TR. Management of scapholunate advanced collapse pattern of degenerative arthritis of the wrist. J Hand Surg Am 2009; 34 (08) 1527-1530
- 12 Kendall CB, Brown TR, Millon SJ, Rudisill Jr LE, Sanders JL, Tanner SL. Results of four-corner arthrodesis using dorsal circular plate fixation. J Hand Surg Am 2005; 30 (05) 903-907
- 13 Merrell GA, McDermott EM, Weiss AP. Four-corner arthrodesis using a circular plate and distal radius bone grafting: a consecutive case series. J Hand Surg Am 2008; 33 (05) 635-642
- 14 Pauchard N, Lecoanet-Strugarek C, Segret J, De Gasperi M, Dap F, Dautel G. Dorsal locking plates versus staples in four-corner fusion: a comparative clinical and radiological study. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 2014; 100 (06) 593-597
- 15 De Carli P, Donndorff AG, Alfie VA, Boretto JG, López Ovenza JM, Gallucci GL. Four-corner arthrodesis: influence of the position of the lunate on postoperative wrist motion: a cadaveric study. J Hand Surg Am 2007; 32 (09) 1356-1362
- 16 Kraisarin J, Dennison DG, Berglund LJ, An KN, Shin AY. Biomechanical comparison of three fixation techniques used for four-corner arthrodesis. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2011; 36 (07) 560-567
- 17 Rhee PC, Shin AY. The rate of successful four-corner arthrodesis with a locking, dorsal circular polyether-ether-ketone (PEEK-Optima) plate. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2013; 38 (07) 767-773
- 18 Luegmair M, Houvet P. Effectiveness of four-corner arthrodesis with use of a locked dorsal circular plate. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2012; 470 (10) 2764-2770
- 19 Ritt MJ, Bishop AT, Berger RA, Linscheid RL, Berglund LJ, An KN. Lunotriquetral ligament properties: a comparison of three anatomic subregions. J Hand Surg Am 1998; 23 (03) 425-431
- 20 Cayci C, Carlsen BT. Osteoarthritis of the wrist. Plast Reconstr Surg 2014; 133 (03) 605-615
- 21 Le Corre A, Ardouin L, Loubersac T, Gaisne E, Bellemère P. Retrospective study of two fixation methods for 4-corner fusion: Shape-memory staple vs. dorsal circular plate. Chir Main 2015; 34 (06) 300-306
- 22 Espinoza DP, Schertenleib P. Four-corner bone arthrodesis with dorsal rectangular plate: series and personal technique. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2009; 34 (05) 609-613
- 23 Sauerbier M, Tränkle M, Linsner G, Bickert B, Germann G. Midcarpal arthrodesis with complete scaphoid excision and interposition bone graft in the treatment of advanced carpal collapse (SNAC/SLAC wrist): operative technique and outcome assessment. J Hand Surg [Br] 2000; 25 (04) 341-345
- 24 Tielemans A, Van Innis F, Troussel S, Detrembleur C, Libouton X, Lequint T. Effect of four-corner fusion with locking plate without bone graft on functional recovery of the wrist: new treatment guidelines. Hand Surg Rehabil 2017; 36 (03) 186-191
- 25 Hunsaker FG, Cioffi DA, Amadio PC, Wright JG, Caughlin B. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons outcomes instruments: normative values from the general population. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2002; 84-A (02) 208-215
- 26 Wyrick JD, Stern PJ, Kiefhaber TR. Motion-preserving procedures in the treatment of scapholunate advanced collapse wrist: proximal row carpectomy versus four-corner arthrodesis. J Hand Surg Am 1995; 20 (06) 965-970