Acute Myocardial Injury in Association with Metformin ToxicityFunding None.
29 November 2017
30 December 2017
30 January 2018 (eFirst)
Metformin is one of the most commonly used oral hypoglycemic agents in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Toxicity related to accidental or intentional ingestion of metformin is well reported in the pediatric literature. We report a case of transient acute myocardial injury documented by biochemical and electrophysiological evidences in an adolescent male who presented with intentional ingestion of a large dose of metformin. To our knowledge, this is the first such case of documented reversible myocardial injury in relation to metformin toxicity to be reported in the pediatric literature.
- 1 Chaudhury A, Duvoor C, Reddy Dendi VS. , et al. Clinical review of antidiabetic drugs: implications for type 2 diabetes mellitus management. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2017; 8: 6
- 2 Lacher M, Hermanns-Clausen M, Haeffner K, Brandis M, Pohl M. Severe metformin intoxication with lactic acidosis in an adolescent. Eur J Pediatr 2005; 164 (06) 362-365
- 3 Soyoral YU, Begenik H, Emre H, Aytemiz E, Ozturk M, Erkoc R. Dialysis therapy for lactic acidosis caused by metformin intoxication: presentation of two cases. Hum Exp Toxicol 2011; 30 (12) 1995-1997
- 4 DeFronzo R, Fleming GA, Chen K, Bicsak TA. Metformin-associated lactic acidosis: current perspectives on causes and risk. Metabolism 2016; 65 (02) 20-29
- 5 Guo PY, Storsley LJ, Finkle SN. Severe lactic acidosis treated with prolonged hemodialysis: recovery after massive overdoses of metformin. Semin Dial 2006; 19 (01) 80-83
- 6 Dell'Aglio DM, Perino LJ, Kazzi Z, Abramson J, Schwartz MD, Morgan BW. Acute metformin overdose: examining serum pH, lactate level, and metformin concentrations in survivors versus nonsurvivors: a systematic review of the literature. Ann Emerg Med 2009; 54 (06) 818-823
- 7 Timbrell S, Wilbourn G, Harper J, Liddle A. Lactic acidosis secondary to metformin overdose: a case report. J Med Case Reports 2012; 6: 230
- 8 Lexis CP, van der Horst IC, Lipsic E. , et al; GIPS-III Investigators. Effect of metformin on left ventricular function after acute myocardial infarction in patients without diabetes: the GIPS-III randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2014; 311 (15) 1526-1535
- 9 White S, Driver BE, Cole JB. Metformin-associated lactic acidosis presenting as acute ST-elevation myocardial infarction. J Emerg Med 2016; 50 (01) 32-36
- 10 Turkcuer I, Erdur B, Sari I, Yuksel A, Tura P, Yuksel S. Severe metformin intoxication treated with prolonged haemodialyses and plasma exchange. Eur J Emerg Med 2009; 16 (01) 11-13
- 11 Yamada T, Shojima N, Yamauchi T, Kadowaki T. Lactic acidosis due to attempted suicide with metformin overdose: a case report. Diabetes Metab 2016; 42 (04) 290-291