Is Rotational Thromboelastometry the Answer for Rapid Prediction of Coagulopathy on Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation?
07 March 2018 (online)
Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) induces a variety of changes in hemostatic system due to various reasons such as exposure to the extracorporeal circuit, activation of the coagulation and complement pathways, consumption of platelets, activation of various mediators of inflammation, and imbalance between clot formation and resorption. Giving cryoprecipitate and platelet concentrates is more important than adding whole blood in these patients. EXTEM CT and FIBTEM A5 give results within a few minutes and shortened turnaround time brings imported results.
- 1 Esper SA, Levy JH, Waters JH, Welsby IJ. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in the adult: a review of anticoagulation monitoring and transfusion. Anesth Analg 2014; 118 (04) 731-743
- 2 Millar JE, Fanning JP, McDonald CI, McAuley DF, Fraser JF. The inflammatory response to extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO): a review of the pathophysiology. Crit Care 2016; 20 (01) 387
- 3 Graulich J, Walzog B, Marcinkowski M. et al. Leukocyte and endothelial activation in a laboratory model of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO). Pediatr Res 2000; 48 (05) 679-684
- 4 Plötz FB, van Oeveren W, Bartlett RH, Wildevuur CR. Blood activation during neonatal extracorporeal life support. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1993; 105 (05) 823-832
- 5 Gray BW, Haft JW, Hirsch JC, Annich GM, Hirschl RB, Bartlett RH. Extracorporeal life support: experience with 2,000 patients. ASAIO J 2015; 61 (01) 2-7
- 6 Solomon C, Ranucci M, Hochleitner G, Schöchl H, Schlimp CJ. Assessing the methodology for calculating platelet contribution to clot strength (platelet component) in thromboelastometry and thromboelastography. Anesth Analg 2015; 121 (04) 868-878
- 7 Olde Engberink RH, Kuiper GJ, Wetzels RJ. et al. Rapid and correct prediction of thrombocytopenia and hypofibrinogenemia with rotational thromboelastometry in cardiac surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2014; 28 (02) 210-216
- 8 Bhardwaj V, Malhotra P, Hasija S, Chowdury UK, Pangasa N. Coagulopathies in cyanotic cardiac patients: an analysis with three point-of-care testing devices (thromboelastography, rotational thromboelastometry, and Sonoclot analyzer). Ann Card Anaesth 2017; 20 (02) 212-218