Subscribe to RSS
Frequency and distribution of patellar luxation in dogs134 cases (2000 to 2005)
13 March 2006
Accepted 05 June 2006
21 December 2017 (online)
This study investigated the frequency and distribution of patellar luxation in the dogs presented to the Chonbuk National University Animal Medical Centre during January 2000 to September 2005. Patellar luxations were classified as medial or lateral, and unilateral or bilateral, were graded I to IV, and were subdivided according to age, sex and size of the dogs. The incidence of medial patellar luxation (MPL) was greater than the incidence of lateral patellar luxation (LPL) in both small and large dogs. Small-breed dogs were admitted almost exclusively with MPL. LPL was found uncommon; however it was observed more often in larger-breed dogs. Surgical correction was performed primarily in the dogs (165 stifles in 111 dogs) with grade II, III and IV patellar luxations following different surgical techniques. The combination of the surgical techniques was found to be more effective for the management of the disease. The prognosis was found to be favourable, because when the grade was low, the dog was younger, without cruciate ligament rupture, and as the surgical correction was performed with combination of more techniques.
- 1 Hulse DA. Pathophysiology and management of medial patellar luxation in the dog. Vet Med Small AnimClin 1981; 76: 43-51.
- 2 Ness Ness. et al. A survey of orthopaedic conditions in small animal veterinary practice in Britain. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 1996; 9: 43-52.
- 3 Johnson Johnson. et al. Comparison of trochlear block recession and trochlear wedge recession for canine patellar luxation using a cadaver model. Vet Surg 2001; 30: 140-150.
- 4 Gibbons Gibbons. et al. Patellar luxation in 70 large breed dogs. J Small Anim Pract 2006; 47: 3-9.
- 5 DeAngelis DeAngelis. et al. Evaluation of surgical correction of canine patellar luxation in 142 cases. J Am VetMed Assoc 1970; 156: 587-594.
- 6 Hulse DA. Medial patellar luxation in the dog. In: Disease Mechanisms in Small Animal Surgery. Bojrab MJ. (ed) Lea & Febiger; Philadelphia: 1993: 808-817.
- 7 Roush JK. Canine patellar luxation. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 1993; 23: 855-868.
- 8 Towle Towle. et al. Pre- and postoperative radiographic and computed tomographic evaluation of dogs with medial patellar luxation. Vet Surg 2005; 34: 265-272.
- 9 Hayes Hayes. et al. Frequency and distribution of medial and lateral patellar luxation in dogs: 124 cases 1982-1992). J Am Vet Med Assoc 1994; 205: 716-720.
- 10 LaFond LaFond. et al. Breed susceptibility for developmental orthopaedic diseases in dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2002; 38: 467-477.
- 11 Remedios Remedios. et al. Medial patellar luxation in 16 large dogs. A retrospective study. Vet Surg 1992; 21: 5-9.
- 12 Brinker WO. et al. The stifle joint. In: Handbook of Small Animal Orthopaedics and Fracture Repair. Piermattei DL, Flo GL. (eds). WB Saunders; Philadelphia: 1997: 516-580.
- 13 Roy Roy. et al. A retrospective evaluation of stifle osteoarthritis in dogs with bilateral medial patellar luxation and unilateral surgical repair. Vet Surg 1992; 21: 475-479.
- 14 Singleton WB. The surgical correction of stifle deformities in the dog. J Small Anim Pract 1969; 10: 59-69.
- 15 Trotter EJ. Medial patellar luxation in the dog. Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet 1980; 2: 58-66.
- 16 Willauer Willauer. et al. Clinical results of surgical correction of medial luxation of patella in dogs. Vet Surg 1987; 16: 31-36.
- 17 Slocum Slocum. et al. Trochlear recession for correction of luxating patella in the dog. JAmVet Med Assoc 1985; 186: 365-369.
- 18 Talcott Talcott. et al. Rectangular recession trochleoplasty for treatment of patellar luxation in dogs and cats. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2000; 13: 39-43.
- 19 Priester WA. Sex, size, and breed as risk factors in canine patellar luxation. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1972; 4: 633-636.
- 20 Denny Denny. et al. The long term results of surgery of canine stifle disorders. J Small Anim Pract 1973; 14: 695-713.
- 21 Robins GM. The canine stifle joint. In: Canine Orthopedics. Whittick WG. (ed) Lea & Febiger; Philadelphia: 1990: 693-760.
- 22 Kim Kim. et al. Trochleoplasty in lateral patellar luxation in two calves. J Vet Med Sci 2005; 67: 723-725.