Subscribe to RSS
Adipose Tissue Expression of Gelatinases in Mouse Models of Obesity
11 July 2000
Accepted after resubmission 16 January 2001
12 December 2017 (online)
Following the observation by Brown et al. (Am J Physiol 1997; 272: C937-49) that primary rat adipocytes in culture secrete gelatinase A (MMP-2), we have evaluated gelatinase expression in adipose tissue with the use of mouse models of obesity. Wild-type mice were kept on a standard fat diet (SFD) or on a high fat diet (42% fat, HFD) and genetically obese db/db mice were kept on SFD; gonadal and subcutaneous fat pads were removed and analysed ex vivo. These studies revealed that: 1) the HFD induced adipocyte hypertrophy; 2) after 32 weeks, significantly higher levels of 70 kDa (p <0.05) and 65 kDa proMMP-2 (p < 0.01) were observed in extracts of gonadal fat pads of mice on HFD; 3) the contribution of active MMP-2 to the total level was comparable in SFD and HFD groups (20 to 30%); and 4) gelatinase B (MMP-9) was not consistently detected. These findings were confirmed by gelatin zymography and by mRNA determination using competitive RT-PCR. The presence of MMP-2 in the adipose tissue was confirmed immunologically and its localization in adipocytes revealed by immunogold electron microscopy. The potential functional role of MMP-2 in adipose tissue remains to be determined.
- 1 Crandall DL, Hausman GJ, Kral JG. A review of the microcirculation of adipose tissue: anatomic, metabolic and angiogenic perspectives. Microcirculation 1997; 4: 211-32.
- 2 Dollery CM, McEwan JR, Henney AM. Matrix metalloproteinases and cardiovascular disease. Circ Res 1995; 77: 863-8.
- 3 Carmeliet P, Collen D. Development and disease in proteinase-deficient mice: role of the plasminogen, matrix metalloproteinase and coagulation system. Thromb Res 1998; 91: 255-85.
- 4 Samad F, Yamamoto K, Loskutoff DJ. Distribution and regulation of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 in murine adipose tissue in vivo: induction by tumor necrosis factor-α and lipopolysaccharide. J Clin Invest 1996; 97: 37-46.
- 5 Alessi MC, Peiretti F, Morange P, Henry M, Nalbone G, Juhan-Vague I. Production of plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 by human adipose tissue. Possible link between viscaral fat accumulation and vascular disease. Diabetes 1997; 46: 860-7.
- 6 Juhan-Vague I, Alessi MC. Regulation of fibrinolysis in the development of atherothrombosis: role of adipose tissue. Thromb Haemost 1999; 82: 832-6.
- 7 Samad F, Loskutoff DJ. Hemostatic gene expression and vascular disease in obesity: insights from studies of genetically obese mice. Thromb Haemost 1999; 82: 742-7.
- 8 Morange PE, Lijnen HR, Alessi MC, Kopp F, Collen D, Juhan-Vague I. Influence of PAI-1 on adipose tissue growth and on metabolic parameters in a murine model of diet-induced obesity. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2000; 20: 1150-4.
- 9 Lijnen HR, Collen D. Matrix metalloproteinase system deficiencies and matrix degradation. Thromb Haemost 1999; 82: 837-45.
- 10 Brown LM, Fox HL, Hazen SA, LaNoue KF, Rannels SR, Lynch CJ. Role of the matrixin MMP-2 in multicellular organization of adipocytes cultured in basement membrane components. Am J Physiol 1997; 272: C937-C49.
- 11 Sjöström L, Bjöntorp P, Vrana J. Microscopic fat cell size measurements on frozen-cut adipose tissue in comparison with automatic determinations of osmium-fixed fat cells. J Lipid Res 1971; 12: 521-30.
- 12 Folch J, Lees M, Sloane Stanley GH. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissue. J Biol Chem 1957; 232: 497-508.
- 13 Gliemann J, Osterlind K, Vinten J, Gammeltoft S. A procedure for measurements of distribution spaces in isolated fat cells. Biochim Biophys Acta 1972; 286: 1-9.
- 14 Kleiner DE, Stetler Stevenson WG. Quantitative zymography: detection of picogram quantities of gelatinases. Anal Biochem 1994; 218: 325-9.
- 15 Lijnen HR, Van Hoef B, Lupu F, Moons L, Carmeliet P, Collen D. Function of plasminogen/plasmin and matrix metalloproteinase systems after vascular injury in mice with targeted inactivation of fibrinolytic system genes. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 1998; 18: 1035-45.
- 16 Lijnen HR, Silence J, Lemmens G, Frederix L, Collen D. Regulation of gelatinase activity in mice with targeted inactivation of components of the plasminogen/plasmin system. Thromb Haemost 1998; 79: 1171-6.
- 17 Nie GY, Wang J, Li Y, Salamonsen LA. Construction and application of a multispecific competitor to quantify mRNA of matrix metalloproteinases and their tissue inhibitors in small human biopsies. J Biochem Biophys Methods 1999; 40: 81-99.
- 18 Lijnen HR, Lupu F, Moons L, Carmeliet P, Goulding D, Collen D. Temporal and topographic matrix metalloproteinase expression after vascular injury in mice. Thromb Haemost 1999; 81: 799-807.
- 19 Declerck PJ, Verstreken M, Collen D. Immunoassay of murine t-PA, u-PA and PAI-1 using monoclonal antibodies raised in gene-inactivated mice. Thromb Haemost 1995; 74: 1305-9.
- 20 Flier JS. The adipocyte: storage depot or node on the energy information superhighway?. Cell 1995; 80: 15-8.
- 21 Silverman KJ, Lund DP, Zetter BR, Lainey LL, Shahood JA, Freiman DG, Folkman J, Barger AC. Angiogenic activity of adipose tissue. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1988; 153: 347-52.
- 22 Claffey KP, Wilkison WO, Spiegelman BM. Vascular endothelial growth factor; Regulation by cell differentiation and activated second messenger pathways. J Biol Chem 1992; 267: 16317-22.
- 23 Bouloumie A, Lafontan M, Busse R. Leptin, the product of Ob gene, promotes angiogenesis. Circ Res 1998; 83: 1059-66.
- 24 Darimont C, Saint-Marc P, Ailhaud G, Negrel R. Modulation of vascular tone and glycerol levels measured by in situ microdialysis in rat adipose tissue. Am J Physiol 1996; 271: E631-5.
- 25 Levine JA, Jensen MD, Eberhardt NL, O’Brien T. Adipocyte macrophage colony stimulating factor is a mediator of adipose tissue growth. J Clin Invest 1998; 101: 1557-64.
- 26 Negrel R, Gaillard D, Ailhaud G. Prostacyclin as a potent effector of adipose cell differentiation. Biochem J 1989; 257: 399-405.
- 27 Nougues J, Reyne Y, Barenton B, Chery T, Garandel V, Soriano J. Differentiation of adipocyte precursors in a serum-free medium is influenced by glucocorticoids and endogenously produced insulin-like growth factor-I. Int J, Obes 1993; 17: 159-67.
- 28 Rahimi N, Tremblay E, MacAdam L, Roberts A, Elliot B. Autocrine secretion of TGF-beta1 and TGF-beta2 by preadipocytes and adipocytes: a potent negative regulator of adipocyte differentiation and proliferation of mammary carcinoma cells. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 1998; 34: 412-20.
- 29 Nakajima I, Yamaguchi T, Ozutsumi K, Aso H. Adipose tissue extracellular matrix: newly organized by adipocytes during differentiation. Differentiation 1998; 63: 193-200.
- 30 Itoh T, Ikeda T, Gomi H, Nakao S, Suzuki T, Itohara S. Unaltered secretion of β-amyloid precursor protein in gelatinase A (matrix metalloproteinase 2)-deficient mice. J Biol Chem 1997; 272: 22389-92.
- 31 Itoh T, Tanioka M, Yoshida H, Yoshioka T, Nishimoto H, Itohara S. Reduced angiogenesis and tumor progression in gelatinase A-deficient mice. Cancer Res 1998; 58: 1048-51.
- 32 Digirolamo M, Fine JB, Tagra K, Rossmanith R. Qualitative regional differences in adipose tissue growth and cellularity in male Wistar rats fed ad libitum. Am J Physiol 1998; 274: R1460-7.
- 33 Spiegelman BM, Flier JS. Adipogenesis and obesity: rounding out the big picture. Cell 1996; 87: 377-89.
- 34 Geloen A, Roy PE, Bukowecki LJ. Regression of white adipose tissue in diabetic rats. Am J Physiol 1989; 257: E547-E53.