Subscribe to RSS
Clinical Utility of Prothrombin Fragment 1+2, Thrombin Antithrombin III Complexes and D-dimer Measurements in the Diagnosis of Deep Vein Thrombosis following Total Hip Replacement
20 May 1997
Accepted after resubmission 30 October 1997
07 December 2017 (online)
Background: Measurements of prothrombin fragment 1+2 (F1+2), thrombin antithrombin III complexes (TAT) and D-dimer plasma levels have been proposed as non-invasive screening tests to exclude postoperative deep venous thrombosis (DVT). We investigated the diagnostic efficacy of these coagulation activation markers to rule out postoperative DVT in patients undergoing hip surgery under antithrombotic prophylaxis. Methods: In this substudy of a randomized double-blind thrombosis prophylaxis trial comparing three doses of desirudin (10, 15 or 20 mg b.i.d.) with unfractionated heparin (5000 IU t.i.d.) we used ELISA procedures to measure F1+2, TAT and D-dimer in 159 patients undergoing total hip replacement at baseline (day 0) and on postoperative days 1, 3 and 6. Bilateral venography was performed in all cases 8-11 days after surgery. Results: For the F1+2 assay sensitivity ranged from 73 to 83% in the three postoperative days investigated, and negative predictive value (NPV) from 68 to 74%. For TAT and D-dimer sensitivity ranged from 71 to 73% and from 71 to 83% and NPV from 61 to 65% and from 61 to 74% respectively. Interpretation: In terms of sensitivity and NPV F1+2 and D-dimer are equivalent and are superior to TAT. However, their accuracy is too low to rule out the presence of DVT after hip surgery under antithrombotic prophylaxis.
- 1 Boneu B, Bes G, Pelzer H, Sié P, Boccalon H. D-dimers, thrombin anti-thrombin III complexes and prothrombin fragments 1+2: diagnostic value in clinically suspected deep vein thrombosis.. Thromb Haemost 1991; 65: 28-32.
- 2 Bongard O, Wicky J, Peter R, Simonovska S, Vogel JJ, de Moerloose P, Reber G, Bounameaux H. D-dimer plasma measurement in patients undergoing major hip surgery: use in the prediction and diagnosis of postoperative proximal vein thrombosis.. Thromb Res 1994; 74: 487-93.
- 3 Dunn ID, Hui ACW, Triffitt PD, Crozier AEC, Gregg PJ, Sinclair ME, Armstrong AL, Mitchell VE. Plasma D-dimer as a marker for postoperative deep venous thrombosis. A study after total hip or knee arthroplasty.. Thromb Haemost 1994; 72: 663-5.
- 4 Vogel G, Dempfle CE, Spannagl M, Leskopf W. The value of quantitative fibrin monomer determination in the early diagnosis of postoperative deep vein thrombosis.. Thromb Res 1996; 81: 241-51.
- 5 Rowbotham BJ, Whitaker AN, Harrison J, Murtaugh P, Reasbeck P, Bowie EJW. Measurement of crosslinked fibrin derivatives in patients undergoing abdominal surgery: use in the diagnosis of postoperative venous thrombosis.. Blood Coagulation and Fibrinolysis 1992; 3: 25-31.
- 6 Devine DV. Utility of D-dimer measurement in deep venous thrombosis.. Fibrinolysis 1993; Suppl (02) 12-6.
- 7 Eriksson BI, Ekman S, Kalebo P, Zachrisson B, Bach D, Close P. Prevention of deep-vein thrombosis after total hip replacement: direct thrombin inhibition with recombinant hirudin, CGP 39393.. Lancet 1996; 347: 635-9.
- 8 Cofrancesco E, Cortellaro M, Leonardi P, Corradi A, Ravasi F, Bertocchi F. Markers of hemostatic system activation during thromboprophylaxis with recombinant hirudin in total hip replacement.. Thromb Haemost 1996; 75: 407-11.
- 9 Cofrancesco E, Cortellaro M, Corradi A, Ravasi F, Bertocchi F. Coagulation activation markers in the prediction of venous thrombosis after elective hip surgery.. Thromb Haemost 1997; 77: 267-9.
- 10 Hoek JA, Nurmohamed MT, ten Cate JW, Buller HR, Knipscheer HC, Hamelynck KJ, Marti RK, Sturk A. Thrombin-antithrombin III complexes in the prediction of deep vein thrombosis following total hip replacement.. Thromb Haemost 1989; 62: 1050-2.
- 11 Jorgensen LN, Lind B, Hauch O, Leffers A, Albrecht-Beste E, Kondradsen LAG. Thrombin-antithrombin III complex and fibrin degradation products in plasma: surgery and postoperative deep venous thrombosis.. Thromb Res 1990; 59: 69-76.