Induction of Hypercoagulability Condition by Chronic Localized Cold Stress in RabbitsThis study was supported by grants (no. 08457439) from the Japanese Ministry of Education and Science and the Japanese Ministry of Health and Welfare (the Pediatric Research Grant no 10-02).
Received16 April 1998
Accepted after resubmission17 November 1998
09 December 2017 (online)
To evaluate the effect of cold-induced stress on renal and hepatic blood flow and coagulation parameters, rabbits’ soles were exposed to ice pad (0° C). Renal and hepatic blood flow was measured after 1 h and 15 days of cold stress. Coagulation parameters (0, 8th and 15th days of stress) and histological studies were performed. Renal and hepatic blood flow was significantly reduced after cold-stress. Decreased platelet count, antithrombin III (AT III) activity, increased fibrinogen (Fbg) level, shortened activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT) and prothrombin time (PT) was found after 8 and 15 days of cold-stress. Histology showed enlarged glomeruli with fibrin deposition in kidney, ischemic changes and fibrin deposition in liver and hemorrhagic necrosis in adrenal cortex. We conclude that undesirable localized cold induced sympathetic stimulation in daily life may be a predisposing factor for coagulopathy.
- 1 Haft JI.. Catecholamines, stress, platelets and coronary artery disease. In: Platelets, Prostaglandins and Cardiovascular Disease. Metha J., and Metha PF.. (eds.) New York: Futura; 1981: pp 265-77.
- 2 Hata T, Kawabata A, Itoh E.. Blood coagulation and fibrinolysis in SART- stressed (repeated cold-stressed) rats and drug effects on the altered hemostatic parameters. Japan J Pharmacol 1991; 56: 403-12.
- 3 Levine SP, Towell BL, Suarez AM, Knieriem LK, Harris MM, George JN.. Platelet activation and secretion associated with emotional stress. Circulation 1985; 71: 1129-34.
- 4 Siess W, Lorenz R, Roth P, Weber PC.. Plasma catecholamine, platelet aggregation and associated thromboxane formation after physical exercise, smoking or norepinephrine infusion. Circulation 1982; 66: 44-8.
- 5 Kanayama N, Tsujimura R, She L, Maehara K, Terao T.. Cold-induced stress stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, causing hypertension and proteinuria in rats. J Hypertens 1997; 15: 383-9.
- 6 Friedman SA, Taylor RN, Roberts JM.. Pathophysiology of preeclampsia. Clin Perinatol 1991; 18: 661-82.
- 7 Papanek PE, Wood CE, Fregly MJ.. Role of sympathetic nervous system in cold-induced hypertension in rats. J Appl Physiol 1991; 71: 300-6.
- 8 Fregly MJ, Field FP, Nelson Jr. EL, Tyler PE, Dasler R.. Effect of chronic exposure to cold on some responses to catecholamine. J Appl Physiol 1977; 42: 349-54.
- 9 Motelica I.. Urinary excretion of catecholamines and vanilmandelic acid in rats exposed to cold. Acta Physiol Scand 1969; 76: 393-5.
- 10 Hines EA, Brown GE.. The cold pressor test for measuring the reactability of the blood pressure: data concerning 571 normal and hypertensive subject. Am J Heart 1936; 11: 1-9.
- 11 Lewis T.. Observation upon the reactions of the vessels of the human skin to cold. Heart 1930; 15: 177-208.
- 12 Belayet HM, Kanayama N, Khatun S, El Maradny E, Masui M, Tokunaga N, Sumimoto K, Kobayashi T, Terao T.. Decreased renal and hepatic blood flow with pre-eclampsia-like histologic changes was obtained by stimulation of the celiac ganglion with LPS. Am J Perinatol 1998; 15: 109-114.
- 13 Clauss VA.. Gerinnungsphysiologische Schnellmethode zur Bestimmung des Fibrinogens. Acta Haematol 1957; 17: 237-47.
- 14 Reilly J, Rivalier E, Compagnon A, Laplane R.. Hémorrhagie, lésions vasculaires et lymphatiques du tube digestif déterminées par l’injection périsplanchnique de substances diverses. C R Soc de Biologie 1934; 116: 24-6.
- 15 Yamaguchi Y, Tsuchiya M, Akiba T, Kobayashi K.. Experimental studies on the pathological changes in the several organs due to irritation of the autonomic nervous system. Keio J Med 1960; 9: 91-9.
- 16 Colwell JA.. Effects of exercise on platelet function, coagulation and fibrinolysis. Diabetes Metab Rev 1986; 1: 501-12.
- 17 Cash JD.. Platelets, fibrinolysis and stress. Thromb Diath Haemorrh Suppl 1972; 51: 93-104.
- 18 O’Brodovich HM, Andrew M, Gray GW, Coates G.. Hypoxia alters blood coagulation during acute decompression in humans. J Appl Physiol: Respirat Environ Exercise Physiol 1984; 56: 666-70.
- 19 Chohan IS, Singh I, Rai RM.. Influence of noise on blood coagulation. Thromb Haemost 1984; 51: 22-3.
- 20 Nakamura T, Ariyoshi H, Kambayashi J, Ikeda M, Kawasaki T, Sakon M, Monden M.. Effect of low concentration of epinephrine on human platelet aggregation analyzed by particle counting method and confocal microscopy. J Lab Clin Med 1997; 130: 262-70.
- 21 Larsson PT, Wallen NH, Hjemdahl P.. Norepinephrine-induced human platelet activation in vivo is only partly counteracted by aspirin. Circulation 1994; 89: 1951-7.
- 22 Hata T, Kawabata A, Itoh E.. Platelet hypoaggregability in rats exposed to SART stress (repeated cold stress). Thromb Res 1992; 65: 617-29.
- 23 Saleh AA, Bottoms SF, Welch RA, Ali AM, Mariona FG, Mammen EF.. Preeclampsia, delivery and the hemostatic system. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1987; 157: 331-6.
- 24 Reinthaller A, Mursch-Edlmayr G, Tatra G.. Thrombin-antithrombin III complex levels in normal pregnancy with hypertensive disorders and after delivery. Brit J Obstet Gynecol 1990; 97: 506-10.
- 25 Bowie EJW, Cooper HA, Fuster V, Kazmier FJ, Owen Jr. CA. The diagnosis of intravascular coagulation. Thromb Diath Haemorrh suppl 1972; 56: 137-43.
- 26 Dinarello CA, Mier JW.. Interleukins. Annu Rev Med 1986; 37: 173-8.
- 27 Cook NS, Ubben D.. Fibrinogen as a major risk factor in cardiovascular disease. Trends Pharmacol Sci 1990; 11: 444-51.
- 28 Song SY, Asaji T, Tanizaki Y, Fujimaki T, Matsutani M, Okeda R.. Cerebral thrombosis at altitude: its pathogenesis and the problems of prevention and treatment. Aviat Space Environ Med 1986; 57: 71-6.
- 29 Rosendaal FR.. Thrombosis in the young: epidemiology and risk factors. A focus on venous thrombosis. Thromb Haemost 1997; 78: 1-6.
- 30 Kawasaki T, Kambayashi J, Sakon M.. Hyperlipidemia: a novel etiologic factor in deep vein thrombosis. Thromb Res 1995; 79: 147-51.
- 31 Patterson SM, Krantz DS, Gottdiener JS, Hecht G, Vargot S, Goldstein DS.. Prothrombotic effects of environmental stress: changes in platelet function, hematocrit, and total plasma protein. Psychosom Med 1995; 57: 592-9.