Midterm Results of Four-Corner Fusion Using Dorsal Circular Plate FixationFunding None.
12 April 2017
22 August 2017
16 October 2017 (eFirst)
Purpose The purpose of this prospective study was to evaluate the results of four-corner fusion using dorsal circular plate.
Methods We operated on 20 patients between 2009 and 2011.
Results At a mean follow-up period of 30 months (range: 14–62, SD: 16), the mean VAS improved from 8 (range: 4–10, SD: 2) preoperatively to 4 (range: 0–8, SD: 2). Function measured with the DASH score improved from 37 (range: 10–75, SD: 18) to 26 (range: 2.5–64, SD: 19). Eighteen patients in our series showed full consolidation and two patients showed persistent nonunion. Three cases required plate removal due to dorsal impingement.
Conclusion Four-corner fusion using dorsal circular plate showed satisfactory results in this study, but it did not show superior results compared with simpler fixation methods mentioned in the literature, such as K-wires or screw fixation. Currently, we are principally using K-wires as a fixation method of choice in our four-corner fusion procedures.
Level of Evidence Level II.
- 1 Bisneto EN, Freitas MC, Paula EJ, Mattar Jr R, Zumiotti AV. Comparison between proximal row carpectomy and four-corner fusion for treating osteoarthrosis following carpal trauma: a prospective randomized study. Clinics (Sao Paulo) 2011; 66 (01) 51-55
- 2 Ashmead IV D, Watson HK, Damon C, Herber S, Paly W. Scapholunate advanced collapse wrist salvage. J Hand Surg Am 1994; 19 (05) 741-750
- 3 Cohen MS, Kozin SH. Degenerative arthritis of the wrist: proximal row carpectomy versus scaphoid excision and four-corner arthrodesis. J Hand Surg Am 2001; 26 (01) 94-104
- 4 Krakauer JD, Bishop AT, Cooney WP. Surgical treatment of scapholunate advanced collapse. J Hand Surg Am 1994; 19 (05) 751-759
- 5 Tomaino MM, Miller RJ, Cole I, Burton RI. Scapholunate advanced collapse wrist: proximal row carpectomy or limited wrist arthrodesis with scaphoid excision?. J Hand Surg Am 1994; 19 (01) 134-142
- 6 Trumble T, Bour CJ, Smith RJ, Edwards GS. Intercarpal arthrodesis for static and dynamic volar intercalated segment instability. J Hand Surg Am 1988; 13 (03) 384-390
- 7 Watson HK, Weinzweig J, Guidera PM, Zeppieri J, Ashmead D. One thousand intercarpal arthrodeses. J Hand Surg Br 1999; 24 (03) 307-315
- 8 Wyrick JD, Stern PJ, Kiefhaber TR. Motion-preserving procedures in the treatment of scapholunate advanced collapse wrist: proximal row carpectomy versus four-corner arthrodesis. J Hand Surg Am 1995; 20 (06) 965-970
- 9 Watson HK, Ballet FL. The SLAC wrist: scapholunate advanced collapse pattern of degenerative arthritis. J Hand Surg Am 1984; 9 (03) 358-365
- 10 Bedford B, Yang SS. High fusion rates with circular plate fixation for four-corner arthrodesis of the wrist. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2010; 468 (01) 163-168
- 11 Dutly-Guinand M, von Schroeder HP. Three-corner midcarpal arthrodesis and scaphoidectomy: a simplified volar approach. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 2009; 13 (01) 54-58
- 12 Espinoza DP, Schertenleib P. Four-corner bone arthrodesis with dorsal rectangular plate: series and personal technique. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2009; 34 (05) 609-613
- 13 Vance MC, Hernandez JD, Didonna ML, Stern PJ. Complications and outcome of four-corner arthrodesis: circular plate fixation versus traditional techniques. J Hand Surg Am 2005; 30 (06) 1122-1127
- 14 Mulford JS, Ceulemans LJ, Nam D, Axelrod TS. Proximal row carpectomy vs four corner fusion for scapholunate (Slac) or scaphoid nonunion advanced collapse (Snac) wrists: a systematic review of outcomes. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2009; 34 (02) 256-263
- 15 Enna M, Hoepfner P, Weiss AP. Scaphoid excision with four-corner fusion. Hand Clin 2005; 21 (04) 531-538
- 16 Watson HK, Ryu J. Evolution of arthritis of the wrist. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1986; (202) 57-67
- 17 Hudak PL, Amadio PC, Bombardier C. ; The Upper Extremity Collaborative Group (UECG). Development of an upper extremity outcome measure: the DASH (disabilities of the arm, shoulder, and hand) [corrected]. Am J Ind Med 1996; 29 (06) 602-608
- 18 Kendall CB, Brown TR, Millon SJ, Rudisill Jr LE, Sanders JL, Tanner SL. Results of four-corner arthrodesis using dorsal circular plate fixation. J Hand Surg Am 2005; 30 (05) 903-907
- 19 Palmer AK, Werner FW, Murphy D, Glisson R. Functional wrist motion: a biomechanical study. J Hand Surg Am 1985; 10 (01) 39-46
- 20 Ryu JY, Cooney III WP, Askew LJ, An KN, Chao EY. Functional ranges of motion of the wrist joint. J Hand Surg Am 1991; 16 (03) 409-419