Divergent Axial Carpal Dislocation and Its Pathomechanics
04 July 2017
17 August 2017
22 September 2017 (eFirst)
Background Axial carpal dislocations and fracture dislocations are 1.4 to 2.08% of all the fractures and dislocations of the wrist. These injuries are caused by high-energy blast or compression mechanisms. Only 11 cases of axial–radial–ulnar (ARU) fracture dislocations have been described in the literature.
Case Description We describe a case with a traumatic transtrapezoid, peritrapezium, transhamate, peripisiform ARU in a patient with acute compartment syndrome, traumatic transverse flexor retinaculum (TFR) rupture, and radial nerve palsy.
Literature Review The ARU fractures are injuries where the carpus is torn into three columns. ARU injuries have a high incidence of neurovascular, soft-tissue cover, and muscular-associated injuries. Depending on the injuries mentioned earlier, a bad functional prognosis can be expected. Nearly without exception, in ARU cases, a traumatic TFR rupture takes place. Garcia-Elias mentioned that the injury pattern is given by the speed, magnitude, and energy entry point.
Clinical Relevance We describe a case of an ARU injury which has not been previously described. In an analysis of the 12 ARU cases previously reported, we observed that when two or more applied forces converge, an ARU injury pattern can occur. That suggests that in ARU injuries, one side of the injury occurs before the other. Due to the extensive carpal damage, in patients with ARU, a restricted range of motion is more likely to happen than residual instability. Thus, in all these cases, an early mobilization and intensive rehabilitation is highly necessary.
- 1 Garcia-Elias M. Axial fracture dislocations. In: Cooney WP. , ed. The Wrist: Diagnosis and Operative Treatment. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2010: 579-589
- 2 Garcia-Elias M, Dobyns JH, Cooney III WP, Linscheid RL. Traumatic axial dislocations of the carpus. J Hand Surg Am 1989; 14 (03) 446-457
- 3 Apergis E. Axial dislocations or fracture-dislocations. In: Apergis E. , ed. Fracture-Dislocations of the Wrist, 1st ed. Italy: Springer-Verlag; 2013: 275-286
- 4 Marc Garcia-Elias, MD P, Louis A. Gilula M. Traumatic Axial Dislocation Injuries of the Wrist. Radiology 2013; 267 (03) 680-689
- 5 Chim H, Yam AK, Chin AY, Teoh LC. Complex carpal dissociation with open, complete, and divergent trapezium, capitate, and hamate dislocation: a case report. J Hand Surg Am 2007; 32 (09) 1363-1366
- 6 Ali MA. Fracture of the body of the hamate bone associated with compartment syndrome and dorsal decompression of the carpal tunnel. J Hand Surg [Br] 1986; 11 (02) 207-210
- 7 Pai CH, Wei DC. Traumatic dislocations of the distal carpal row. J Hand Surg [Br] 1994; 19 (05) 576-583
- 8 Primiano GA, Reef TC. Disruption of the proximal carpal arch of the hand. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1974; 56 (02) 328-332
- 9 Freeland AE, Rojas SL. Traumatic combined radial and ulnar axial wrist dislocation. Orthopedics 2001; 24 (12) 1161-1163
- 10 Irwin LR, Paul R, Kumaren R, Bagga TK. Complex carpal dislocation. J Hand Surg [Br] 1995; 20 (06) 746-749
- 11 Tanaka Y, Ohshige T, Hanakawa S. Traumatic axial dislocation of the carpus: a case report of transscaphoid pericapitate transhamate axial dislocation. J Orthop Sci 2002; 7 (03) 414-416
- 12 Gvozdenovic R, Soelberg Vadstrup L. Total carpometacarpal joint dislocation combined with trapezium fracture, trapezoid dislocation and hamate fracture. Chir Main 2015; 34 (05) 264-268
- 13 Slutsky DJ. Outcomes assessment in wrist surgery. J Wrist Surg 2013; 2 (01) 1-4
- 14 Albanese L, Lic Brondo F, Lic Deveikis C. , et al. Traducción al castellano y adaptación transcultural del Patient-Rated Wrist Evaluation (PRWE). Buenos Aires, AR: Hospital General de Agudos Dr. Cosme Argerich; 2013
- 15 Herzberg G. Perilunate and axial carpal dislocations and fracture-dislocations. J Hand Surg Am 2008; 33 (09) 1659-1668
- 16 Vogels J, Uzel A-P, Delattre O. Vertical instability of the carpus – axial dislocation and fracture-dislocation: review of the literature. In: Emmanuel Camus, Luc Van Overstraeten Carpal Ligament Surgery. France: Springer-Verlag; 2013: 177-181
- 17 Gvozdenovic R, Nielsen NS, Garcia-Elias M. Combined perilunate and axial ulnar dislocation of the wrist. J Wrist Surg 2012; 1 (02) 173-176