Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma within Thyroglossal Duct Cyst: Case Series and Literature Review
19 May 2017
16 July 2017
25 October 2017 (eFirst)
Introduction Thyroglossal duct cyst (TGDC) is the most common congenital anomaly of the neck, and approximately 7% of all the adult population presents it. Ectopic thyroid tissue is found in the thyroglossal duct cyst wall in up to 65% of cases. This thyroid tissue has the potential to develop some type of malignancy, the most common of which is the papillary carcinoma of the thyroid. There are just over 270 cases of thyroglossal duct cyst malignancy reported in the literature.
Objectives We aimed to study our population of patients in order to identify cases with thyroglossal duct cyst malignancy.
Methods A retrospective chart review was conducted in the section of otolaryngology/head and neck surgery at a hospital in Karachi, Pakistan, from January of 2004 to December of 2014 on patients with the diagnosis of thyroglossal duct cyst.
Results Fifty-eight patients were diagnosed with TGDC, two of whom also presented with thyroglossal duct cyst carcinoma. Both patients revealed papillary thyroid carcinoma on histopathology. Case 1 had an open biopsy before undergoing definitive surgery. Both patients underwent subsequent total thyroidectomy after Sistrunk procedure, and case 2 had selective neck dissection revealing lymph node metastasis.
Conclusion Thyroglossal duct cyst carcinoma is a rare finding that comes as a surprise to both the patient and the surgeon. We report 2 out of 58 cases diagnosed with thyroglossal duct cyst carcinoma.
- 1 Sistrunk WE. The surgical treatment of cysts of the thyroglossal tract. Ann Surg 1920; 71 (02) 121 , 2
- 2 Shahin A, Burroughs FH, Kirby JP, Ali SZ. Thyroglossal duct cyst: a cytopathologic study of 26 cases. Diagn Cytopathol 2005; 33 (06) 365-369
- 3 Wei S, LiVolsi VA, Baloch ZW. Pathology of thyroglossal duct: an institutional experience. Endocr Pathol 2015; 26 (01) 75-79
- 4 Patel SG, Escrig M, Shaha AR, Singh B, Shah JP. Management of well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma presenting within a thyroglossal duct cyst. J Surg Oncol 2002; 79 (03) 134-139 , discussion 140–141
- 5 Brentano H. Struma aberrata lingual mit druzen metastasen. Dtsch Med Wochenschr 1911; 37: 665
- 6 LiVolsi VA, Perzin KH, Savetsky L. Carcinoma arising in median ectopic thyroid (including thyroglossal duct tissue). Cancer 1974; 34 (04) 1303-1315
- 7 Heshmati HM. , et al. Thyroglossal duct carcinoma: report of 12 cases . Mayo Clin Proceed 1997; 72 (04) 315-319
- 8 Zaman SU, Ikram M, Awan MS, Hassan NH. A Decade of Experience of Management of Thyroglossal Duct Cyst in a Tertiary Care Hospital: Differentiation Between Children and Adults. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2017; 69 (01) 97-101
- 9 Santrac N, Besic N, Buta M. , et al. Lymphatic drainage, regional metastases and surgical management of papillary thyroid carcinoma arising in pyramidal lobe--a single institution experience. Endocr J 2014; 61 (01) 55-59
- 10 Sternberg SS, Mills SE, Carter D. Sternberg's diagnostic surgical pathology . Vol. 1. 2004: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins