Results of the Universal 2 Prosthesis in Noninflammatory Osteoarthritic WristsFunding This work was supported by the funding received from Fonds NutsOhra (grant number 1301–030).
06 November 2016
24 July 2017
24 August 2017 (eFirst)
Background/Purpose Many treatment options are available for wrist osteoarthritis, with the objective of decreasing pain and preserving function. In later stages when midcarpal and radiocarpal osteoarthritis occur, two choices remain: total wrist arthrodesis or total wrist arthroplasty. The purpose of this study is to present the short-term functional changes following total wrist arthroplasty with the Universal 2 total wrist system (Integra Life Sciences) in patients with noninflammatory wrist osteoarthritis.
Patients and Methods Patients with severe noninflammatory wrist osteoarthritis were assessed preoperatively, 6 and 12 months after surgery using a range of motion, grip strength, pain, and the disabilities of the arm, shoulder, and hand (DASH) score. The additional assessment was performed after 1 year for a range of motion using a biaxial electrogoniometer, grip strength, DASH, and the Michigan hand questionnaire.
Results All range of motion directions and grip strength did not change from preoperative values. The DASH score improved from 53 preoperatively to 14 during latest follow-up. Median patients' satisfaction score decreased with approximately 20 points during the last follow-up.
Conclusion The relatively good DASH score combined with the partly maintained wrist range of motion indicates that reconstruction with the Universal 2 total wrist prosthesis should be considered in patients with end-stage noninflammatory wrist osteoarthritis.
Level of Evidence Level IV, therapeutic study.
Keywordsposttraumatic osteoarthritis - scaphoid nonunion advanced collapse - scapholunate advanced collapse - total wrist arthroplasty - Universal 2 total wrist prosthesis
This study was performed at the Diakonessenhuis, Zeist, The Netherlands. The medical ethics committee of the Diakonessenhuis Utrecht/Zeist approved this study (MEC-2010–295).
- 1 Sauerbier M, Bickert B, Tränkle M, Kluge S, Pelzer M, Germann G. Surgical treatment possibilities of advanced carpal collapse (SNAC/SLAC wrist) [in German]. Unfallchirurg 2000; 103 (07) 564-571
- 2 Kobus RJ, Turner RH. Wrist arthrodesis for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. J Hand Surg Am 1990; 15 (04) 541-546
- 3 Rayan GM, Brentlinger A, Purnell D, Garcia-Moral CA. Functional assessment of bilateral wrist arthrodeses. J Hand Surg Am 1987; 12 (06) 1020-1024
- 4 Adey L, Ring D, Jupiter JB. Health status after total wrist arthrodesis for posttraumatic arthritis. J Hand Surg Am 2005; 30 (05) 932-936
- 5 De Smet L, Truyen J. Arthrodesis of the wrist for osteoarthritis: outcome with a minimum follow-up of 4 years. J Hand Surg [Br] 2003; 28 (06) 575-577
- 6 Barbier O, Saels P, Rombouts JJ, Thonnard JL. Long-term functional results of wrist arthrodesis in rheumatoid arthritis. J Hand Surg [Br] 1999; 24 (01) 27-31
- 7 Cavaliere CM, Chung KC. A systematic review of total wrist arthroplasty compared with total wrist arthrodesis for rheumatoid arthritis. Plast Reconstr Surg 2008; 122 (03) 813-825
- 8 Ritt MJ, Stuart PR, Naggar L, Beckenbaugh RD. The early history of arthroplasty of the wrist. From amputation to total wrist implant. J Hand Surg [Br] 1994; 19 (06) 778-782
- 9 Weiss AP, Kamal RN, Shultz P. Total wrist arthroplasty. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2013; 21 (03) 140-148
- 10 Ferreres A, Lluch A, Del Valle M. Universal total wrist arthroplasty: midterm follow-up study. J Hand Surg Am 2011; 36 (06) 967-973
- 11 McCullough M BA, Adams BD, Grosland NM. Postoperative analysis of patients who received the Universal 2 total wrist implant system. J Appl Biomech 2012; 28 (04) 466-472
- 12 Morapudi SP, Marlow WJ, Withers D, Ralte P, Gabr A, Waseem M. Total wrist arthroplasty using the Universal 2 prosthesis. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 2012; 20 (03) 365-368
- 13 van Winterswijk PJ, Bakx PA. Promising clinical results of the universal total wrist prosthesis in rheumatoid arthritis. Open Orthop J 2010; 4: 67-70
- 14 Menon J. Universal total wrist implant: experience with a carpal component fixed with three screws. J Arthroplasty 1998; 13 (05) 515-523
- 15 Adams BD. Total wrist arthroplasty. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 2004; 8 (03) 130-137
- 16 Beaton DE, Katz JN, Fossel AH, Wright JG, Tarasuk V, Bombardier C. Measuring the whole or the parts? Validity, reliability, and responsiveness of the Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand outcome measure in different regions of the upper extremity. J Hand Ther 2001; 14 (02) 128-146
- 17 Chung BT, Morris SF. Reliability and internal validity of the Michigan hand questionnaire. Ann Plast Surg 2014; 73 (04) 385-389
- 18 Singh HP, Dias JJ, Slijper H, Hovius S. Assessment of velocity, range, and smoothness of wrist circumduction using flexible electrogoniometry. J Hand Surg Am 2012; 37 (11) 2331-2339
- 19 Boeckstyns ME. Wrist arthroplasty--a systematic review. Dan Med J 2014; 61 (05) A4834
- 20 Nydick JA, Watt JF, Garcia MJ, Williams BD, Hess AV. Clinical outcomes of arthrodesis and arthroplasty for the treatment of posttraumatic wrist arthritis. J Hand Surg Am 2013; 38 (05) 899-903
- 21 Vicar AJ, Burton RI. Surgical management of the rheumatoid wrist--fusion or arthroplasty. J Hand Surg Am 1986; 11 (06) 790-797
- 22 Herzberg G. Prospective study of a new total wrist arthroplasty: short term results. Chir Main 2011; 30 (01) 20-25
- 23 Boeckstyns ME, Herzberg G, Merser S. Favorable results after total wrist arthroplasty: 65 wrists in 60 patients followed for 5–9 years. Acta Orthop 2013; 84 (04) 415-419
- 24 Nydick JA, Greenberg SM, Stone JD, Williams B, Polikandriotis JA, Hess AV. Clinical outcomes of total wrist arthroplasty. J Hand Surg Am 2012; 37 (08) 1580-1584
- 25 Reigstad O, Lütken T, Grimsgaard C, Bolstad B, Thorkildsen R, Røkkum M. Promising one- to six-year results with the Motec wrist arthroplasty in patients with post-traumatic osteoarthritis. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2012; 94 (11) 1540-1545
- 26 Ojima H, Miyake S, Kumashiro M, Togami H, Suzuki K. Dynamic analysis of wrist circumduction: a new application of the biaxial flexible electrogoniometer. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 1991; 6 (04) 221-229
- 27 Rawes ML, Richardson JB, Dias JJ. A new technique for the assessment of wrist movement using a biaxial flexible electrogoniometer. J Hand Surg [Br] 1996; 21 (05) 600-603
- 28 Ryu JY, Cooney III WP, Askew LJ, An KN, Chao EY. Functional ranges of motion of the wrist joint. J Hand Surg Am 1991; 16 (03) 409-419
- 29 Palmer AK, Werner FW, Murphy D, Glisson R. Functional wrist motion: a biomechanical study. J Hand Surg Am 1985; 10 (01) 39-46