Treatment of Early Hip Osteoarthritis: Ultrasound-Guided Platelet Rich Plasma versus Hyaluronic Acid Injections in a Randomized Clinical Trial
11 August 2017 (online)
Purpose The aim of this study was to compare the clinical efficacy of ultrasound-guided intra-articular injections of autologous platelet rich plasma (PRP) versus hyaluronic acid (HA) for symptomatic early osteoarthritis (OA) of the hip.
Methods A prospective controlled double-blinded randomized trial on 80 patients with hip OA was conducted. The patients were divided in two groups of 40 patients each: group 1 underwent three PRP intra-articular ultrasound-guided injections, whereas group 2 underwent three HA injections. WOMAC, VAS, and Harris Hip Score were evaluated for both groups before and at 6 and 12 months after treatment.
Results The two groups were comparable in age, sex, body mass index, and severity of hip OA. Both groups showed a significant improvement from baseline at 6-month and 12-month follow-ups for all the outcome measures. No major complications were observed during the treatment and at follow-ups in both the groups.
Conclusion PRP did not offer significantly better results compared with HA in patients with moderate signs of OA, and thus it should not be considered as first-line treatment.
Level of Evidence Level II, randomized controlled trial.
- 1 Robinson P, Keenan AM, Conaghan PG. Clinical effectiveness and dose response of image-guided intra-articular corticosteroid injection for hip osteoarthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2007; 46 (02) 285-291
- 2 Abate M, Pelotti P, De Amicis D, Di Iorio A, Galletti S, Salini V. Viscosupplementation with hyaluronic acid in hip osteoarthritis (a review). Ups J Med Sci 2008; 113 (03) 261-277
- 3 Richette P, Ravaud P, Conrozier T. , et al. Effect of hyaluronic acid in symptomatic hip osteoarthritis: a multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Arthritis Rheum 2009; 60 (03) 824-830
- 4 Battaglia M, Guaraldi F, Vannini F. , et al. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) intra-articular ultrasound-guided injections as a possible treatment for hip osteoarthritis: a pilot study. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2011; 29 (04) 754
- 5 Sánchez M, Guadilla J, Fiz N, Andia I. Ultrasound-guided platelet-rich plasma injections for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the hip. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2012; 51 (01) 144-150
- 6 Battaglia M, Guaraldi F, Vannini F. , et al. Efficacy of ultrasound-guided intra-articular injections of platelet-rich plasma versus hyaluronic acid for hip osteoarthritis. Orthopedics 2013; 36 (12) e1501-e1508
- 7 Di Sante L, Villani C, Santilli V. , et al. Intra-articular hyaluronic acid vs platelet-rich plasma in the treatment of hip osteoarthritis. Med Ultrason 2016; 18 (04) 463-468
- 8 Bennell KL, Hunter DJ, Paterson KL. Platelet-rich plasma for the management of hip and knee osteoarthritis. Curr Rheumatol Rep 2017; 19 (05) 24
- 9 Meloni F, Milia F, Cavazzuti M. , et al. Clinical evaluation of sodium hyaluronate in the treatment of patients with sopraspinatus tendinosis under echographic guide: experimental study of periarticular injections. Eur J Radiol 2008; 68 (01) 170-173
- 10 Atchia I, Kane D, Reed MR, Isaacs JD, Birrell F. Efficacy of a single ultrasound-guided injection for the treatment of hip osteoarthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 2011; 70 (01) 110-116
- 11 Mei-Dan O, McConkey MO, Petersen B, McCarty E, Moreira B, Young DA. The anterior approach for a non-image-guided intra-articular hip injection. Arthroscopy 2013; 29 (06) 1025-1033
- 12 Salaffi F, Leardini G, Canesi B. , et al; GOnorthrosis and Quality Of Life Assessment (GOQOLA). Reliability and validity of the Western Ontario and McMaster Universities (WOMAC) Osteoarthritis Index in Italian patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2003; 11 (08) 551-560
- 13 Dettoni F, Pellegrino P, La Russa MR. , et al. Validation and cross cultural adaptation of the Italian version of the Harris Hip Score. Hip Int 2015; 25 (01) 91-97
- 14 Migliore A, Procopio S. Effectiveness and utility of hyaluronic acid in osteoarthritis. Clin Cases Miner Bone Metab 2015; 12 (01) 31-33
- 15 Anitua E, Sánchez M, Nurden AT. , et al. Platelet-released growth factors enhance the secretion of hyaluronic acid and induce hepatocyte growth factor production by synovial fibroblasts from arthritic patients. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2007; 46 (12) 1769-1772
- 16 Caggiari G, Mosele GR, Puddu L, Doria C. Efficacy of platelet-rich plasma in experimental instrumented interbody spinal fusion. EuroMediterranean Biomed J 2016; 11 (10) 141-147
- 17 Anitua E, Sánchez M, Zalduendo MM. , et al. Fibroblastic response to treatment with different preparations rich in growth factors. Cell Prolif 2009; 42 (02) 162-170
- 18 Kon E, Buda R, Filardo G. , et al. Platelet-rich plasma: intra-articular knee injections produced favorable results on degenerative cartilage lesions. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2010; 18 (04) 472-479
- 19 Filardo G, Kon E, Buda R. , et al. Platelet-rich plasma intra-articular knee injections for the treatment of degenerative cartilage lesions and osteoarthritis. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2011; 19 (04) 528-535
- 20 Peerbooms JC, Sluimer J, Bruijn DJ, Gosens T. Positive effect of an autologous platelet concentrate in lateral epicondylitis in a double-blind randomized controlled trial: platelet-rich plasma versus corticosteroid injection with a 1-year follow-up. Am J Sports Med 2010; 38 (02) 255-262
- 21 Gosens T, Peerbooms JC, van Laar W, den Oudsten BL. Ongoing positive effect of platelet-rich plasma versus corticosteroid injection in lateral epicondylitis: a double-blind randomized controlled trial with 2-year follow-up. Am J Sports Med 2011; 39 (06) 1200-1208
- 22 de Vos RJ, Weir A, van Schie HTM. , et al. Platelet-rich plasma injection for chronic Achilles tendinopathy: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2010; 303 (02) 144-149
- 23 Mei-Dan O, Lippi G, Sánchez M, Andia I, Maffulli N. Autologous platelet-rich plasma: a revolution in soft tissue sports injury management?. Phys Sportsmed 2010; 38 (04) 127-135