Shoulder Adhesive Capsulitis in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Cross-Sectional Study on 943 Cases in Sardinian People
24. August 2017 (online)
Purpose To evaluate the prevalence of adhesive capsulitis (AC) of the shoulder in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) in Sardinia.
Methods In this cross-sectional study, we evaluated 943 patients with T1DM attending the division of Endocrinology and Metabolism at the University Hospital in Sassari, Italy. The criteria for diagnosing AC were: pain for at least 1 month, inability to lie on the affected shoulder, and restricted active and passive shoulder joint movements in at least three planes. Age, gender, duration of DM, blood pressure, and presence of neuropathy and retinopathy were noted. Metabolic control of DM was evaluated with glycosylated hemoglobin A1c (GHbA1c) blood concentrations.
Results AC was diagnosed in 331 patients (prevalence: 35.1%). Age, duration of DM, high blood pressure levels, and the presence of neuropathy and retinopathy were significantly associated with AC. No significant association was observed between gender and AC. There was no significant difference in mean levels of GHbA1c in T1DM patients with or without AC.
Conclusion This study shows that AC of the shoulder is a common disorder in patients with T1DM in Sardinia. It is significantly associated with age, duration of DM, and related complications.
Level of Evidence Level IV, observational cross-sectional study.
- 1 Manske RC, Prohaska D. Diagnosis and management of adhesive capsulitis. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med 2008; 1 (3–4): 180-189
- 2 van der Windt DA, Koes BW, de Jong BA, Bouter LM. Shoulder disorders in general practice: incidence, patient characteristics, and management. Ann Rheum Dis 1995; 54 (12) 959-964
- 3 Binder AI, Bulgen DY, Hazleman BL, Tudor J, Wraight P. Frozen shoulder: an arthrographic and radionuclear scan assessment. Ann Rheum Dis 1984; 43 (03) 365-369
- 4 Modesto C, Crespo E, Villas C, Aquerreta D. Adhesive capsulitis. Is it possible in childhood?. Scand J Rheumatol 1995; 24 (04) 255-256
- 5 Tighe CB, Oakley Jr WS. The prevalence of a diabetic condition and adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder. South Med J 2008; 101 (06) 591-595
- 6 Borg WP, Sherwin RS. Classification of diabetes mellitus. Adv Intern Med 2000; 45: 279-295
- 7 Patterson C, Guariguata L, Dahlquist G, Soltész G, Ogle G, Silink M. Diabetes in the young - a global view and worldwide estimates of numbers of children with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2014; 103 (02) 161-175
- 8 Onkamo P, Väänänen S, Karvonen M, Tuomilehto J. Worldwide increase in incidence of Type I diabetes--the analysis of the data on published incidence trends. Diabetologia 1999; 42 (12) 1395-1403
- 9 DIAMOND Project Group. Incidence and trends of childhood Type 1 diabetes worldwide 1990-1999. Diabet Med 2006; 23 (08) 857-866
- 10 Green A, Patterson CC. ; EURODIAB TIGER Study Group. Europe and Diabetes. Trends in the incidence of childhood-onset diabetes in Europe 1989-1998. Diabetologia 2001; 44 (Suppl. 03) B3-B8
- 11 Bridgman JF. Periarthritis of the shoulder and diabetes mellitus. Ann Rheum Dis 1972; 31 (01) 69-71
- 12 Pal B, Anderson J, Dick WC, Griffiths ID. Limitation of joint mobility and shoulder capsulitis in insulin- and non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Br J Rheumatol 1986; 25 (02) 147-151
- 13 Mavrikakis ME, Sfikakis PP, Kontoyannis SA, Antoniades LG, Kontoyannis DA, Moulopoulou DS. Clinical and laboratory parameters in adult diabetics with and without calcific shoulder periarthritis. Calcif Tissue Int 1991; 49 (04) 288-291
- 14 Reeves B. The natural history of the frozen shoulder syndrome. Scand J Rheumatol 1975; 4 (04) 193-196
- 15 Griggs SM, Ahn A, Green A. Idiopathic adhesive capsulitis. A prospective functional outcome study of nonoperative treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2000; 82-A (10) 1398-1407
- 16 Lequesne M, Dang N, Bensasson M, Mery C. Increased association of diabetes mellitus with capsulitis of the shoulder and shoulder-hand syndrome. Scand J Rheumatol 1977; 6 (01) 53-56
- 17 Balci N, Balci MK, Tüzüner S. Shoulder adhesive capsulitis and shoulder range of motion in type II diabetes mellitus: association with diabetic complications. J Diabetes Complications 1999; 13 (03) 135-140
- 18 Meloni F, Milia F, Cavazzuti M. , et al. Clinical evaluation of sodium hyaluronate in the treatment of patients with sopraspinatus tendinosis under echographic guide: experimental study of periarticular injections. Eur J Radiol 2008; 68 (01) 170-173
- 19 Warner JJ, Allen A, Marks PH, Wong P. Arthroscopic release for chronic, refractory adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1996; 78 (12) 1808-1816
- 20 Maahs DM, West NA, Lawrence JM, Mayer-Davis EJ. Chapter 1: Epidemiology of Type 1 Diabetes. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 2010; 39 (03) 481-497
- 21 Songini M, Lombardo C. The Sardinian way to type 1 diabetes. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2010; 4 (05) 1248-1255
- 22 Ryu JD, Kirpalani PA, Kim JM, Nam KH, Han CW, Han SH. Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor and angiogenesis in the diabetic frozen shoulder. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2006; 15 (06) 679-685
- 23 Kim YS, Kim JM, Lee YG, Hong OK, Kwon HS, Ji JH. Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1, CD54) is increased in adhesive capsulitis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2013; 95 (04) e181-e188