Effects of Notchplasty on Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: A Systematic Review
08 August 2017 (online)
Purpose Notchplasty is a complementary surgical procedure often performed during anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (ACLR) with the aim to widen the intercondylar notch and to avoid graft impingement. The aim of this review was to analyze the current literature evidence concerning the effects of notchplasty on clinical outcome after primary ACLR.
Methods Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, the Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials, PubMed, and MEDLINE were used to search English language studies, from January 1990 to July 2015, concerning the effects of the notchplasty on ACLR, using the following keywords: “ACL” OR “anterior cruciate ligament” OR “ACL reconstruction” OR “anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction” AND “notch” OR “notchplasty” OR “intercondylar notch”. Randomized and nonrandomized trials, case series, technical notes, biomechanical studies and radiological study were included.
Results At the final screening 16 studies were included. Despite widely used, the usefulness of notchplasty during ACLR remains unclear. Some concerns emerged regarding potential harmful effects of notchplasty, mostly related to the knee biomechanics and postoperative blood loss. Notchplasty can be useful in the treatment of arthrofibrosis and in presence of bony spurs of the notch both in primary and revision surgery. However, the level of evidence of available literature is poor and there is a strong need for randomized controlled trials investigating the role of notchplasty on ACLR.
Conclusion We suggest being aware of potential complications following notchplasty during ACLR before deciding to perform notchplasty in primary ACLR, reserving it for the surgical management of arthrofibrosis, treatment of notch osteophytosis and revision ACLR.
Level of Evidence Level IV, systematic review of level II-IV studies.
- 1 Siegel L, Vandenakker-Albanese C, Siegel D. Anterior cruciate ligament injuries: anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, and management. Clin J Sport Med 2012; 22 (04) 349-355
- 2 Zuiderbaan HA, Khamaisy S, Nawabi DH. , et al. Notchplasty in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in the setting of passive anterior tibial subluxation. Knee 2014; 21 (06) 1160-1165
- 3 Fu FH, Bennett CH, Ma CB, Menetrey J, Lattermann C. Current trends in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Part II. Operative procedures and clinical correlations. Am J Sports Med 2000; 28 (01) 124-130
- 4 Koga H, Muneta T, Yagishita K. , et al. Effect of notchplasty in anatomic double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Med 2014; 42 (08) 1813-1821
- 5 Dugas JR, Pace JL, Bolt B, Wear SA, Beason DP, Cain Jr EL. Evaluation and comparison of femoral tunnel placement during anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using 3-dimensional computed tomography: effect of notchplasty on transtibial and medial portal drilling. Orthop J Sports Med 2014; 2 (03) DOI: 10.1177/2325967114525572.
- 6 Berns GS, Howell SM. Roofplasty requirements in vitro for different tibial hole placements in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Med 1993; 21 (02) 292-298
- 7 Hame SL, Markolf KL, Hunter DM, Oakes DA, Zoric B. Effects of notchplasty and femoral tunnel position on excursion patterns of an anterior cruciate ligament graft. Arthroscopy 2003; 19 (04) 340-345
- 8 Markolf KL, Hame SL, Hunter DM, Oakes D, Gause P. Biomechanical effects of femoral notchplasty in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Med 2002; 30 (01) 83-89
- 9 Seo YJ, Yoo YS, Kim YS. , et al. The effect of notchplasty on tunnel widening in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Arthroscopy 2014; 30 (06) 739-746
- 10 Al-Saeed O, Brown M, Athyal R, Sheikh M. Association of femoral intercondylar notch morphology, width index and the risk of anterior cruciate ligament injury. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2013; 21 (03) 678-682
- 11 Lombardo S, Sethi PM, Starkey C. Intercondylar notch stenosis is not a risk factor for anterior cruciate ligament tears in professional male basketball players: an 11-year prospective study. Am J Sports Med 2005; 33 (01) 29-34
- 12 Tanzer M, Lenczner E. The relationship of intercondylar notch size and content to notchplasty requirement in anterior cruciate ligament surgery. Arthroscopy 1990; 6 (02) 89-93
- 13 Wolf MR, Murawski CD, van Diek FM, van Eck CF, Huang Y, Fu FH. Intercondylar notch dimensions and graft failure after single- and double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2015; 23 (03) 680-686
- 14 Zeng C, Gao SG, Wei J. , et al. The influence of the intercondylar notch dimensions on injury of the anterior cruciate ligament: a meta-analysis. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2013; 21 (04) 804-815
- 15 León HO, Blanco CE, Guthrie TB, Martínez OJ. Intercondylar notch stenosis in degenerative arthritis of the knee. Arthroscopy 2005; 21 (03) 294-302
- 16 Mauro CS, Irrgang JJ, Williams BA, Harner CD. Loss of extension following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: analysis of incidence and etiology using IKDC criteria. Arthroscopy 2008; 24 (02) 146-153
- 17 Mayr HO, Rueschenschmidt M, Seil R. , et al. Indications for and results of arthroscopy in the arthritic knee: a European survey. Int Orthop 2013; 37 (07) 1263-1271
- 18 Quasnichka HL, Anderson-MacKenzie JM, Tarlton JF, Sims TJ, Billingham ME, Bailey AJ. Cruciate ligament laxity and femoral intercondylar notch narrowing in early-stage knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2005; 52 (10) 3100-3109
- 19 Ahn JH, Yoo JC, Yang HS, Kim JH, Wang JH. Second-look arthroscopic findings of 208 patients after ACL reconstruction. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2007; 15 (03) 242-248
- 20 Asahina S, Muneta T, Ezura Y. Notchplasty in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: an experimental animal study. Arthroscopy 2000; 16 (02) 165-172
- 21 Camillieri G, Margheritini F, Maresca G, Mariani PP. Postoperative bleeding following notchplasty in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: thermal radio frequency versus powered instrumentation. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2001; 9 (01) 12-14
- 22 Dahlstedt L, Dalén N, Dahlborn M, Nilsson T. Value of intercondylar notch plasty. CT studies and peroperative measurements of 127 knees. Acta Orthop Scand 1990; 61 (06) 558-561
- 23 Fitch RB, Montgomery RD, Kincaid SA. , et al. The effect of intercondylar notchplasty on the normal canine stifle. Vet Surg 1995; 24 (02) 156-164
- 24 Fujii M, Furumatsu T, Miyazawa S. , et al. Intercondylar notch size influences cyclops formation after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2015; 23 (04) 1092-1099
- 25 Howell SM. Principles for placing the tibial tunnel and avoiding roof impingement during reconstruction of a torn anterior cruciate ligament. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 1998; 6 (Suppl. 01) S49-S55
- 26 Keklikci K, Yapici C, Kim D, Linde-Rosen M, Smolinski P, Fu FH. The effect of notchplasty in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a biomechanical study in the porcine knee. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2013; 21 (08) 1915-1921
- 27 LaPrade RF, Terry GC, Montgomery RD, Curd D, Simmons DJ. Winner of the Albert Trillat Young Investigator Award. The effects of aggressive notchplasty on the normal knee in dogs. Am J Sports Med 1998; 26 (02) 193-200
- 28 Mann TA, Black KP, Zanotti DJ, Barr M, Teater T. The natural history of the intercondylar notch after notchplasty. Am J Sports Med 1999; 27 (02) 181-188
- 29 Muneta T, Yamamoto H, Ishibashi T, Asahina S, Murakami S, Furuya K. The effects of tibial tunnel placement and roofplasty on reconstructed anterior cruciate ligament knees. Arthroscopy 1995; 11 (01) 57-62
- 30 May DA, Snearly WN, Bents R, Jones R. MR imaging findings in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: evaluation of notchplasty. Am J Roentgenol 1997; 169 (01) 217-222
- 31 Pape D, Seil R, Adam F. , et al. Blood loss in anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction with and without intercondylar notchplasty: does it affect the clinical outcome?. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2001; 121 (10) 574-577
- 32 Van der Bracht H, Bellemans J, Victor J, Verhelst L, Page B, Verdonk P. Can a tibial tunnel in ACL surgery be placed anatomically without impinging on the femoral notch? A risk factor analysis. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2014; 22 (02) 291-297
- 33 Udagawa K, Niki Y, Enomoto H, Toyama Y, Suda Y. Factors influencing graft impingement on the wall of the intercondylar notch after anatomic double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Med 2014; 42 (09) 2219-2225
- 34 Van Eck CF, Martins CA, Kopf S, Lertwanich P, Fu FH, Tashman S. Correlation between the 2-dimensional notch width and the 3-dimensional notch volume: a cadaveric study. Arthroscopy 2011; 27 (02) 207-212
- 35 Cohen SB, Fu FH. Three-portal technique for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: use of a central medial portal. Arthroscopy 2007; 23 (03) 325.e1-325.e5
- 36 Howell SM. Arthroscopic roofplasty: a method for correcting an extension deficit caused by roof impingement of an anterior cruciate ligament graft. Arthroscopy 1992; 8 (03) 375-379
- 37 Shelbourne KD, Patel DV, Martini DJ. Classification and management of arthrofibrosis of the knee after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Med 1996; 24 (06) 857-862