Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss: Comparative Study of Different Treatment Modalities
24 September 2016
03 July 2017
12 September 2017 (eFirst)
Introduction Idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss (ISSNHL) is hearing loss of at least 30 dB in at least 3 contiguous frequencies within at least 72 hours. There are many different theories to explain it, and many different modalities are used for its management, such as: systemic steroids (SSs), intratympanic steroid injection (ITSI), hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HOT), antiviral drugs, and vasodilators or vasoactive substances.
Objectives This study aims to evaluate the efficacy of the combination of the most common treatment modalities of ISSNHL and to compare the results if HOT was not one of the treatment modalities administered.
Methods The study was conducted with 22 ISSNHL patients with ages ranging from 34 to 58 years. The patients were divided into 2 groups; group A included 11 patients managed by SSs, ITSI, antiviral therapy, and HOT simultaneously, and group B included 11 patients exposed to the aforementioned modalities, with the exception of HOT.
Results After one month, all of the patients in group A showed total improvement in hearing in all frequencies, with pure tone average (PTA) of 18.1 ± 2.2, while in group B, 5/11 (45.5%) patients showed total improvement, and 6 /11 (54.5%) patients showed partial improvement, with a total mean PTA of 28.1 ± 8.7.
Conclusion The early administration of HOT in combination with other clinically approved modalities (SSs, ITSI, antiviral therapy) provides better results than the administration of the same modalities, with the exception of HOT, in the treatment of ISSNHL.
- 1 O'Malley MR, Haynes DS. Sudden hearing loss. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 2008; 41 (03) 633-649 , x–xi
- 2 Byl Jr FM. Sudden hearing loss: eight years' experience and suggested prognostic table. Laryngoscope 1984; 94 (5 Pt 1): 647-661
- 3 Kleyn AD. Sudden complete or partial loss of function of the octavus-system in apparently normal persons. Acta Otolaryngol 1944; 32 (5–6): 407-429
- 4 Chen YS, Emmerling O, Ilgner J, Westhofen M. Idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss in children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2005; 69 (06) 817-821
- 5 Penido NO, Cruz OL, Zanoni A, Inoue DP. Classification and hearing evolution of patients with sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Braz J Med Biol Res 2009; 42 (08) 712-716
- 6 Plaza G, Durio E, Herráiz C, Rivera T, García-Berrocal JR. ; Asociación Madrileña de ORL. [Consensus on diagnosis and treatment of sudden hearing loss. Asociación Madrileña de ORL]. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 2011; 62 (02) 144-157 (English Edition)
- 7 Murphy-Lavoie H, Piper S, Moon RE, Legros T. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Undersea Hyperb Med 2012; 39 (03) 777-792
- 8 Aslan I, Oysu C, Veyseller B, Baserer N. Does the addition of hyperbaric oxygen therapy to the conventional treatment modalities influence the outcome of sudden deafness?. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2002; 126 (02) 121-126
- 9 Haynes DS, O'Malley M, Cohen S, Watford K, Labadie RF. Intratympanic dexamethasone for sudden sensorineural hearing loss after failure of systemic therapy. Laryngoscope 2007; 117 (01) 3-15
- 10 Soliman S. Speech discrimination audiometry using Arabic phonetically-balanced words. Ain Shams Med J 1976; 27: 27-30
- 11 Shirwany NA, Seidman MD, Tang W. Effect of transtympanic injection of steroids on cochlear blood flow, auditory sensitivity, and histology in the guinea pig. Am J Otol 1998; 19 (02) 230-235
- 12 Şahin M, Göde S, Öztürk K, Bilgen C, Öğüt MF, Kirazlı T. Evaluation of adjuvant intratympanic dexamethasone administration in the treatment of sudden sensorineural hearing loss. J Int Adv Otol 2014; 10 (03) 234-239
- 13 Suzuki H, Fujimura T, Shiomori T. , et al. Prostaglandin E1 versus steroid in combination with hyperbaric oxygen therapy for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Auris Nasus Larynx 2008; 35 (02) 192-197
- 14 Dallan I, De Vito A, Fattori B. , et al. Intratympanic methylprednisolone in refractory sudden hearing loss: a 27-patient case series with univariate and multivariate analysis. Otol Neurotol 2010; 31 (01) 25-30
- 15 Yang J, Huang L, Shi J, Li Y, Wu H, Kong W. [The effect of intratympanic dexamethasone or methylprednisolone on treatment of sudden sensorineural hearing loss]. Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 2010; 24 (13) 594-597
- 16 De Heyn G, Van Opstal M. [Comparative study of acoustic trauma caused by blasts, treated by vasodilators or by a combination of vasodilators and hyperbaric oxygenation]. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 1976; 30 (03) 251-259
- 17 Giger HL. [Therapy of sudden deafness with O2/CO2 inhalation (author's transl)]. HNO 1979; 27 (03) 107-109
- 18 Lamm K, Lamm H, Arnold W. Effect of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in comparison to conventional or placebo therapy or no treatment in idiopathic sudden hearing loss, acoustic trauma, noise-induced hearing loss and tinnitus. A literature survey. Adv Otorhinolaryngol 1998; 54: 86-99
- 19 Gill AL, Bell CN. Hyperbaric oxygen: its uses, mechanisms of action and outcomes. QJM 2004; 97 (07) 385-395
- 20 Bennett MH, Kertesz T, Yeung P. Hyperbaric oxygen for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss and tinnitus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005; 25 (01) CD004739
- 21 Bennett MH, Kertesz T, Yeung P. Hyperbaric oxygen for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss and tinnitus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007; 24 (01) CD004739
- 22 Bennett MH, Kertesz T, Perleth M, Yeung P, Lehm JP. Hyperbaric oxygen for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss and tinnitus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 10: CD004739
- 23 Schreiber BE, Agrup C, Haskard DO, Luxon LM. Sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Lancet 2010; 375 (9721): 1203-1211
- 24 Agarwal L, Pothier DD. Vasodilators and vasoactive substances for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; 7 (04) CD003422
- 25 Ohno K, Noguchi Y, Kawashima Y, Yagishita K, Kitamura K. Secondary hyperbaric oxygen therapy for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss in the subacute and chronic phases. J Med Dent Sci 2010; 57 (02) 127-132
- 26 Nakashima T, Fukuta S, Yanagita N. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for sudden deafness. Adv Otorhinolaryngol 1998; 54: 100-109
- 27 Desloovere C, Knecht R, Germonpré P. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy after failure of conventional therapy for sudden deafness. B-ENT 2006; 2 (02) 69-73
- 28 Muzzi E, Zennaro B, Visentin R, Soldano F, Sacilotto C. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy as salvage treatment for sudden sensorineural hearing loss: review of rationale and preliminary report. J Laryngol Otol 2010; 124 (02) e2
- 29 Mattox DE, Simmons FB. Natural history of sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1977; 86 (4 Pt 1): 463-480
- 30 Stachler RJ, Chandrasekhar SS, Archer SM. , et al; American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Clinical practice guideline: sudden hearing loss. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2012; 146 (3, Suppl) S1-S35