The Effect of Methylphenidate on the Hearing of Children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
17 January 2017
28 June 2017
07 August 2017 (eFirst)
Introduction There has been a sudden idiopathic hearing loss case presented after methylphenidate treatment in a child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Objective This study was performed to reveal the probable ototoxic side effects of methylphenidate use in patients with ADHD.
Methods Thirty pediatric patients with ADHD were included in the study. Pure tone audiometry, speech discrimination scores, waves I, III, V absolute latencies and waves I-III, I-V, III-V interpeak latencies at the 80 dB nHL intensity after click stimulus auditory brainstem response (ABR) results were compared before and 3 months after methylphenidate treatment.
Results There were no statistically significant difference between pretreatment and posttreatment pure tone and speech audiometry findings and ABR results (p > 0.05 for all parameters).
Conclusion Methylphenidate can be regarded as a safe drug regarding ototoxic side effects. Additional studies with a larger sample size and longer follow-up may be needed.
- 1 Noorbala AA, Akhondzadeh S. Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: etiology and pharmacotherapy. Arch Iran Med 2006; 9 (04) 374-380
- 2 Rodopman-Arman A, Perdahli-Fiş N, Ekinci O, Berkem M. Sleep habits, parasomnias and associated behaviors in school children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Turk J Pediatr 2011; 53 (04) 397-403
- 3 Biederman J, Spencer T, Wilens T. Evidence-based pharmacotherapy for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 2004; 7 (01) 77-97
- 4 Dopheide JA, Pliszka SR. Attention-deficit-hyperactivity disorder: an update. Pharmacotherapy 2009; 29 (06) 656-679
- 5 Kang KD, Yun SW, Chung U. , et al. Effects of methylphenidate on body index and physical fitness in Korean children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Hum Psychopharmacol 2016; 31 (02) 76-82
- 6 Storebø OJ, Ramstad E, Krogh HB. , et al. Methylphenidate for children and adolescents with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; (11) CD009885
- 7 Kelly D, Forney J, Parker-Fisher S, Jones M. Evaluating and managing attention deficit disorder in children who are deaf or hard of hearing. Am Ann Deaf 1993; 138 (04) 349-357
- 8 Karapinar U, Saglam O, Dursun E, Cetin B, Salman N, Sahan M. Sudden hearing loss associated with methylphenidate therapy. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2014; 271 (01) 199-201
- 9 Lance EI, Shapiro BK. Confounding diagnoses in the neurodevelopmental disabilities population: a child with hearing loss, absence epilepsy, and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). J Child Neurol 2013; 28 (05) 645-647
- 10 American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington. DC: 2013
- 11 Katz J, Medwetsky L, Burkard RF. , et al. Handbook of clinical audiology. 6th ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009
- 12 Stevenson J, McCann D, Watkin P, Worsfold S, Kennedy C. ; Hearing Outcomes Study Team. The relationship between language development and behaviour problems in children with hearing loss. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 2010; 51 (01) 77-83
- 13 Parasnis I, Samar VJ, Berent GP. Deaf adults without attention deficit hyperactivity disorder display reduced perceptual sensitivity and elevated impulsivity on the Test of Variables of Attention (T.O.V.A.). J Speech Lang Hear Res 2003; 46 (05) 1166-1183
- 14 Ashitani M, Ueno C, Doi T, Kinoshita T, Tomoda K. Clinical features of functional hearing loss with inattention problem in Japanese children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2011; 75 (11) 1431-1435
- 15 May DE, Kratochvil CJ. Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: recent advances in paediatric pharmacotherapy. Drugs 2010; 70 (01) 15-40
- 16 Chou TL, Chia S, Shang CY, Gau SS. Differential therapeutic effects of 12-week treatment of atomoxetine and methylphenidate on drug-naïve children with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder: A counting Stroop functional MRI study. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 2015; 25 (12) 2300-2310
- 17 Rubia K, Halari R, Cubillo A. , et al. Methylphenidate normalizes fronto-striatal underactivation during interference inhibition in medication-naïve boys with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Neuropsychopharmacology 2011; 36 (08) 1575-1586
- 18 Hannestad J, Gallezot JD, Planeta-Wilson B. , et al. Clinically relevant doses of methylphenidate significantly occupy norepinephrine transporters in humans in vivo. Biol Psychiatry 2010; 68 (09) 854-860
- 19 Volkow ND, Wang GJ, Fowler JS. , et al. Evidence that methylphenidate enhances the saliency of a mathematical task by increasing dopamine in the human brain. Am J Psychiatry 2004; 161 (07) 1173-1180
- 20 Ozdag MF, Yorbik O, Ulas UH, Hamamcioglu K, Vural O. Effect of methylphenidate on auditory event related potential in boys with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2004; 68 (10) 1267-1272
- 21 Efron D, Jarman F, Barker M. Side effects of methylphenidate and dexamphetamine in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a double-blind, crossover trial. Pediatrics 1997; 100 (04) 662-666
- 22 Aagaard L, Hansen EH. The occurrence of adverse drug reactions reported for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medications in the pediatric population: a qualitative review of empirical studies. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2011; 7: 729-744
- 23 Greenhill LL, Muniz R, Ball RR, Levine A, Pestreich L, Jiang H. Efficacy and safety of dexmethylphenidate extended-release capsules in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2006; 45 (07) 817-823
- 24 Tobaiqy M, Stewart D, Helms PJ. , et al. Parental reporting of adverse drug reactions associated with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medications in children attending specialist paediatric clinics in the UK. Drug Saf 2011; 34 (03) 211-219
- 25 Kileny PR, Zwolan TA. Diagnostic Audiology. In; Flint PW, Haughey BH, Lund VJ, Nıparko JK, Richardson MA, Robbins KT, Thomas JR. , eds. Cummings Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery (5th ed). Philadelphia: Mosby Elsevier; 2010